1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road ATL- need gearing recommendation for ZX6R

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Thnx SVT, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Thnx SVT

Thnx SVT New Member

Hi all,
    I’m headed to Road Atlanta for the Aprilia race days event 8/3. As an Aprilia fan and owner I’m doing the right thing, and leaving her behind and instead taking my ‘08 ZX6R track bike. I’m looking for gearing recommendations, as I suspect I’m currently geared a little too steep for Road ATL. My bike is fitted with ported heads, thinner head gasket, KIT cams, KIT ECU and a few other odds and ends. Current gearing is 15/45, and this will be my first time at Road ATL on any bike. I currently run mid pack in Intermediate at most track days, but I suspect I’ll be a little slower this event with it being my first time to this track.

2. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Start with stock front and +2 in the rear if you and int. rider

3. Thnx SVT

Thnx SVT New Member

Thank you for your input! 15/45 is -1 on the front and +2 on the rear vs. stock ZX6R gearing. Since 45 is already +2 in the back, you're just saying go up to the 16 in the front, right?

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

where does this bike make peak torque?? As it sits now thats a 3.0... when you want it ~2.73. So youd want a 41 or 42 rear

5. Thnx SVT

Thnx SVT New Member

I don't have the dyno graph in front of me (at work), but I believe peak torque is dyno confirmed at 14,000 RPM

6. TurboBlew

dang... wheres the red limiter???

7. Thnx SVT

Thnx SVT New Member

16,500 is stock redline, but I don't usually run it much past 14,000 unless I'm headed towards a corner and trying to avoid an upshift before I then have to downshift for the corner.

8. TurboBlew

based on the mods you posted seems fruitless to not pull every rpm out instead of short shifting