1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear wags during hard braking

Discussion in 'Tech' started by svracer22, Jul 26, 2020.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

What can try to fix this? I've tried adjusting compression and rebound on the shock but nothing seemed to help. I'm thinking I need to look at the forks but the front is working well and I don't want to loose that.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Are you bottoming out the fork?

3. svracer22

Nope, plenty of travel left in the forks.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Too much preload or too much ride height at rear.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Speed rebound up

6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Sure? Make sure you check your oil level as well. Insufficient or no air gap will "bottom" the forks too.

What bike? What mods? What geometry numbers or fork/shock lengths?

7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Poor riding technique can cause that too, no matter how good the setup is. Definitely make sure the brake application is smooth.

8. svracer22

I'm going to try a softer rear spring and see how it works.
    This has also crossed my mind.

9. AFC

AFC Well-Known Member

It might also be expected at times - not that other things couldn't be going on.

10. stangmx13

why? u quoted a guy that knows what hes talking about.

thats probably the one thing I wouldn't try now, unless you already know the spring rate is out of range. the shock is hardly compressed during hard braking. so changing spring rate won't affect wheel position under hard braking. changing ride-height or preload will produce larger more noticeable changes.

11. svracer22

I should've explained more. I like his idea of taking preload out. The problem is that the collar is already backed all the way up not allowing any more preload to be taken out.

12. stangmx13

shock spring preload has a usable range. 10-15mm is the rule of thumb. you probably shouldn't go less than 8mm. most adjusters won't let you set <8mm on purpose. so ya, something is definitely out of range if you want to use even less.

13. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I wonder how deep in his shock travel he's at already? (sag)

14. svracer22

Current rear static sag 11mm and rider sag 24mm

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because he's trying to set his bike up using absolutely no numbers (like, literally, none) over the internet and is getting advice that's worth exactly what he's paying for it. In fact, he didn't even say what bike he was racing. (Maybe it's an SV, based on the screen name? Maybe.)

So, step one would be what motorcycle? Step two would be literally every other piece of information you need in order to make anything even close to an educated guess as to what's going on with this motorcycle. Step three would obviously be using some kind of farm harvesting device to collect the respect and/or profits from setting a motorcycle completely blind over the internet. (Remember, we have no idea what year, make, or model, let alone spring rate or geometry numbers or any other data point. Literally, no data. None.

I used to think the tire picture threads full of suggestions while being completely devoid of information were ridiculous, but I think we just hit a new high score for internet suspension setup expertise.

StaccatoFan, Ducti89, Bruce and 4 others like this.
  16. stangmx13

U know what’s a good way to get more info... asking why. This post of yours missed the mark.

17. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

Two clicks of rebound fixes all! :P

18. svracer22

I thought this thread was going good to.

So your telling me that my issue could literally be anything. Instead of more realistically a couple common solutions to the problem.

I'm just looking for a couple things to try at the next trackday. If they dont work better I change it back. I'm not racing MotoAmerica.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Mike is right on point here. Asking for help without details prolongs the OP from getting good correct recommendations quickly.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    JBowen33 likes this.
  20. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Lifting/floating/r&l floating or Wagging (locking and wagging)?
    2 different things.

Also, "Not bottoming" the fork doesnt mean you arent running out of usable travel...ie spring rate + oil level, might be 'stopping' the travel early.