1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping a small battery on Ducati?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dobr24, Jul 24, 2020.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So I am out of enough space to install a big battery on my Ducati 1199. It does occasionally have hard starts which tax the current LiPO battery which is close to stock size. I am going to have to run a smaller LiPO battery. Current battery has 18Ah and 270 CCA and new one will have 5Ah and 180 CCA. I think it will start it most of the time but for the rare hard start is there any way to put a plug on the battery cable that I could plug into a 12v jumper box just in case for an added boost? Will this damage the electrical system? The other option I was thinking about was putting a second identical LiPO batter in the tail section and paralleling them together?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Used to be, upgrading the starter and main ground wires gauge cured hard starts on Ducs. Don't know if that's still a thing but it can't hurt.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

track bike?

some of the top race teams have a plug to connect a second battery for starts in the pits. I think Speedcell makes the plug.

dobr24 likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

That’s all been done. It did help but not cure it.

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I’ll check that out.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Run two tiny Lithium batts, one to run the bike, the other only in series with the starter so it gets 16v (use a 6v booster) or 24v (use a 12v booster) when you push the happy fun now button.

dobr24 likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Be aware that when in parallel the system will recharge to the worst battery of the two then stop. This will lead to a shorter lifespan. This per the battery store on RV house batteries.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You put the second batt after the solenoid, if you're not pushing the starter button, that batt isn't in the system. You'll have to periodically charge it as it is never getting charging current from the bike in this arrangement. The Snow bike guys figured this out, sounds like they picked it up from a four wheeled race series based around bike power plants, and so on.

On house batts in parallel, they can't really get out of balance unless one has failed... if one dips the other will push current into it, and vice versa. Unless you're WAY overdrawing the batts, they'll age out naturally before you loose them to imbalance.

dobr24 likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

I use a 310CCA on my KTM and it's plenty.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with a smaller battery? My 310 isn't even that big?

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Put a big aftermarket radiator on to keep temps lower. There’s not much room on these to start with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

418 likes this.