1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are my chickens roosting outside

Discussion in 'General' started by FrancisA, Jul 15, 2020.

1. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Ventilation wise, you can't see it in the photo, but the whole top perimeter where the roof is placed on the frame has a 2-3 inch gap as the 2x4's the roof sheathing is sitting on are placed on their side, so the whole roof is sitting 2-3 inches above the frame. I'd think that's enough ventilation?

If not, I can core drill some 2 inch holes about 1 foot down from the top (since hot air rises, or should I make some in middle and some at the top for circulation?)

I live in the country and weirdly enough I've never seen a raccoon here. I've heard skunks are the killers around here.

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

A lot of shit comes out at night.

3. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

It seems I have to at least repel some of these animals I'm unaware of since I can't see them. Anyone know of any basic repellents I can place around the run for common nighttime predators?

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they don't feel safe or hot as others have mentioned
    I have 15 chickens, they all go in at night, I have a fan on all day this time of the year to move air, chickens run hot so they are more susceptible to heat than cold. Your chickens wings don't look open like when they get hot so it's likely a predator.
    Are all the open spots you mentioned covered up with wire mesh or are they really open?
    Going to be tough to change their behavior on where they roost if you let it go on too long.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, shine a flashlight around your yard at 3 am, you might be surprised with what you see.

6. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

This is a new coop I built in the last week to alleviate the potential heat issue. The old one they had was 1/4 this size. Even in the old one that was predator proof, the rooster would sleep outside, as would one of the hens.

What I don't understand is if it was a predator making them sleep in the trees, wouldn't it have killed them if it got in? If it's not getting into the coop, why do they feel the need to go up high?

7. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I butchered a cow about two months ago and threw out the intestines and lungs and other organs I don't use into the woods, must have been 50 lbs. All of it was gone the next morning. Maybe that was related to the incident where 5 of my chickens got knocked out in a morning when they exited the run.... dumbass move on my part. I've introduced some shit into the area.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I had what I thought 1 raccoon trying to get in a few years ago, shot it, kept checking only to find more, ended up shooting 6.

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Their natural instinct in the evening is to look for the highest roosting area, mine do it too but in the coop, yours are just doing it outside at a higher location, if it's been going on for a while you're not going to change it, they have it imprinted in their pea sized brain that location is the safe place to sleep.

10. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I added two roosting branches inside the coop.. I'll add more and some leaves so it looks more natural. After this I'm gonna have to sit outside until they want to sleep and walk them into the coop. Chickens are a full time job the little retards are like tending to two year olds...

11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Yeah they aren't smart but are fun to have around, the eggs and them taking care of the bugs is nice too. Some of them can have funny personalities.
    If you have a caged outside run or can make one you could leave them in for a week or two and that might get them to roost inside at night.

12. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Possibly heat, possibly you changing the coop, my experience though is at some point they deemed the coop not safe most likely due to a predator and don't want to go in. We live in the sticks and fox, raccoon, and weasels are the most likely culprits here. We never had a killing spree as mentioned before from wild animals, usually just 1 or maybe 2 chickens in a night. Then they always come right back so easy to deal with... A domestic dog was the only thing that tried to wipe the whole flock out at once ironically.

Chickens are creatures of habit and followers so it also could just be the rest following the rooster and 1 hen. It will take time and consistency but you can train them to go to the coop at night and in time that will be the new normal. Good luck with those 2 year olds :beer:

13. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Coop.jpg
    Just built a new coop for our new birds we hatched. (had 3 now 14) It took a bit for them all to acclimate to it but they figured it out. We also dont have tress like you with low hanging branches they can get in. My guess is combination of new coop and predator.

YamahaRick and AC1108 like this.
  14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

That coop is built nicer than some people's houses.

Evad101 likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

AKA Dinner

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Do your chickens have a fat ass?

17. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Trying to do the same on the goat house I am finishing! Its good from far but far from good though it wont be condemned by the housing authority.

lessons learned: I am not a carpenter, plan, plan, plan, buy double everything you think you need then by double that, building things on a sloped sucks, roofing sucks, I am not a roofer and did I mention I am not a carpenter?

Goat House.JPG

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Evad101 likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Coop is probably sweltering hot .

I'd sleep in the tree too

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar