1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are my chickens roosting outside

Discussion in 'General' started by FrancisA, Jul 15, 2020.

1. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

10BC3EB4-F012-4737-A9EC-8FD761F1B97B.jpeg AF36CDC1-FC26-4D29-8733-CC0450EB72C1.jpeg 6F51D582-7EF9-40EE-8E16-42E8D26C1DF5.jpeg

They have a big walk in coop with roosting branches and they still choose to sleep outside. Some go inside, some are outside. Is it because of heat? Any chicken owners here? They’ve been ok for a week now but that one night something shows up is my concern...

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Obviously your chickens have come home to roost.

TurboBlew and FrancisA like this.
  3. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Sir I’m gonna need you to step outside

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

FrancisA likes this.
  5. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

You can take him outside, but just don't make him cross the road.......

Jedb, FrancisA and R Acree like this.
  6. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

They will probably move inside when the owls start coming around

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I ain't skeeeeeered. I have a new reflective vest.

8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Social distancing Coop is restricted to only 50% capacity

Tj Hunter, scottn, auminer and 6 others like this.
  9. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

I’ve never seen an owl around here but if it’s going to be something like that that makes them go inside then I guess so be it... I was hoping it was because of the heat...

I already killed off a few coyotes that took half of my old flock, now I got chicks I’m raising to restock the numbers. And now these fuckers won’t go inside. I did read something about putting a light in the coop would make them go in there do you know if that’s true or not? because I’d have to run some underground conduit if that’s the case

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You have raccoons, foxes, or some other predator.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Phl218 likes this.
  12. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

so they’re sleeping outside because there are predators? I’m aware of the predators I killed a few, but why would this caused them to sleep outside? The first day I got the rooster he slept outside and wouldn’t go in the coop and then the hens started doing the same thing

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We just had a raccoon decimate our chickens, killed 9 of the 10 we had in a week or so. Chickens are not smart and the group follows what one does, so my guess is they are hiding in the trees because the predator has figured out how to get in the coop.

No expert, just what we went through recently.

FrancisA likes this.
  14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I'd wonder about heat in the coop.

tony 340, Gixxerguy855 and FrancisA like this.
  15. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

gotcha the old coop they had, it had no way of getting in they actually got killed one morning when I let them out way too early and I’m almost 100% sure a coyote got them because I saw paw prints (after I buried the body of the one I found I saw the print because it came to dig it up again).

no animal has ever broken into the coops but I’ll keep what you said in mind

16. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

yeah I was thinking this because when I look inside there I see some of them with their mouths open... i’m thinking I should add a screen window I can cover up in the winter to the side of the wall.

thanks for the replies - was just curious if anyone had seen the same situation.

17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Yeah, mouth open is often stressed, be it hot or scared.

If you had a raccoon issue all of them would likely have been dead in a night so I was ruling out predators. They usually just go "full killing spree".

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Lake Fork Guy/OSG?

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Can you add a roof vent?

[​IMG]

20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I don’t see really any ventilation on that coop. I have windows approx 12”x12” that I take off in the spring and put back on in fall. Permanent vents at the eave which are 3”x10”ish Plus they’re door stays open year round which is low and 10”x18” and I could still probably use more. Also some breeds are more likely to roost in trees. My boss and another co-worker each have leghorns and they constantly have to get them out of the trees at night