1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on Q4 Pressures from Dunlop?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by slaptanker, Jul 10, 2020.

1. slaptanker

slaptanker New Member

https://www.dunlopracing.com/product/track-day/

They have hot pressures listed as 34-36 PSI.

This seems higher than anything I've had recommended to me in the past for any other tire... I'm sure Dunlop knows their own rubber but I'm wondering if anyone has any different experience using these tires.

Thanks.

2. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I’ve always use 30-32 psi cold

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you ride the tire cold?

Front looks fine... rear seems high. I use Q3s out west and typically at 29ish in the rear when the tire is up to temp on a 2008 R1.

4. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

pirelli TD, 35f 28r hot and go faster

track wagon, FrancisA and gixxerboy55 like this.
  5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Only faster because it's designed as a trackday tire. Unlike the Dunlop which is not.

Also the pirellis will only be good for a few laps, before times drop drastically just like their race tire. ;)

Brendan23 likes this.
  6. duc995

duc995 Yep…

It’s a track day ... in AZ ... so cold is a relative term ;-).

The Q tires seem to be “set it and forget it” when it comes to tire pressures at track day pace.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

of course... Ive had the rear grow as high as 39 on a blistering hot day where the track surface temps eclipsed 125 degrees in NorCal. Feels like a slipping clutch. :D At least its a "dry" heat :D

8. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I've used between these numbers and the Dunlop recommendations and really can't tell the difference at my intermediate pace.

I can ride q3+ as fast (cause I'm slow) but they do require more attention to tire pressure. They last way longer. Q4 is a one day tire. Q3+ should get you through 2 unless you're really flying, but you'd probably crash by then anyway.

Take that for what it's worth.

9. khill

khill Well-Known Member

30/28 cold.....

If they go over 35/33 hot off the track, bleed them back down to 35/33......

Typically, I set them in the morning and never look at them again.

Ken

10. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

34f/32r Reading taken hot off the warmers right before headed out to the grid. every time right before i go out, i do a quick check. If they are high I bleed them off to 34/32.

khill and jd41 like this.
  11. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Same here.

12. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Quick add - I'm super impressed with these tires on my GSXR1k....the 200 rear will go 2-3 days at a pretty quick pace and my outright speed on these, isn't far off slicks....plus no warmers!

Ken

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The current lap record at Summit Point is a 1:10.728 by Stefano Mesa.

This is from the last CCS round at Summit from the last UNL race of the day on Sunday. Mesa's fastest lap was a :10.742 on lap 3 when he chased down Heckles and took the lead, .02 off his own lap record. His last lap of the race was a 1:10.752, .01 off his fastest lap and .03 off the lap record. I will certainly take .01 over 7 laps on a production SC0 rear as an acceptable "drop off" in performance, especially at lap record pace. Maybe your standards are significantly higher than mine.

Setup and riding style has a lot to do with the rate at which a tire degrades over race laps. How accurate your tire gauge is and how well your tire warmers work also play a large part.

Am I supposed to add the winky face here? ;)

MESASUMMIT.jpg

14. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Ken,
    would 30f/28r cold be OK for spirited back-roads too, or should i run them at higher cold pressure to achieve the 35/33-working pressure.
    I know that is a hard(dumb) Q to answer (street-squiding question), but i want to be at/near the correct pressure on the street.
    TY

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  15. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Typically on the street I'll run a higher pressure, but not much more. With this, probably 32/30.....

Ken

Ra.Ge. Raptor and SpeedyE like this.
  16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Thank you for the Q4 info/psi's, Ken!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    khill likes this.
  17. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

spot on, except I go 26-27

fantastic tire, unreal front especially. It’s on par with the best of the best.

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Get’em Mike!!!!!!

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Just the fax, er, facts, m'am.

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Eric are you riding again?