1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking / adjusting valves and changing belts on a Ducati DS1100 engine

Discussion in 'Tech' started by crashman, Jul 13, 2020.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So what will I need for special tooling and what will mess me up? I am not scared to split cases and get in to transmissions but pretty much all of my experience is oil pumper GSXR's and single cylinder dirt bikes. The whole no valve springs thing would be new to me but if parts and tools are less than the cost of a service or 2 I would rather just learn how to do it myself.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

as far as belts go, you can tune the tension with the Gates Belts app. on my Monster, they had to be set at 111 Hz.

for valve clearances, well, get the shop manual first, read it three times and then decide :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You know, it moght be easier if you just pretended you were coming to COTA, got super drunk in my back yard and watched old races. Then you could just show me how in person...:crackup:

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

if I do my “around the country” trip this year still, I might do a stop in Austin

6. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

I haven't checked the valves on my SS yet but I did the belts for the first time so I could do COTA 2 weeks ago. The belts were quick and easy, I just YouTubed it.

I have the 2V cam lock tool, so if you need to use it just let me know. I'm in Round Rock.