1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older Diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by vosnick52, Jun 29, 2020.

1. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

We have a 2018 Nissan Titan Pro4x and just got a 36' Heatland Fuel toyhauler.
    The Nissan just doesnt pull it great so we are looking to get a diesel truck to pull it alot easier.
    We can't afford a new truck and looking to hopefully get a 2014-2016 2500.
    What diesels are good?

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If you're a big fan of your Titan otherwise, Nissan made the XD version of the titan with a bigger frame, longer bed and optional 5.0 v8 diesel engine. They sold poorly because they're Nissan and are crazy cheap secondhand. Maybe take a look at one of those. I drove one and found it to be great if you're towing a larger/enclosed trailer every now and again.

3. vosnick52

We love our Nissan but something with great towing ability. The toyhauler weighs
    7400lbs

4. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Snag a 1992-1997 F350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke. Could get one with decent miles for $10k-$15k. I put 350k miles on mine and sold it to a friend who has put another 250k on it with not a single problem. Still has the single-mass flywheel and clutch that I installed at 200k miles. Others results may vary but that was the best diesel motor I've ever had.

Replacement interior seat covers, flooring, etc. are cheap and still readily available.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=543654705&zip=32701&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=32701&listingTypes=USED&sortBy=relevance&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=include&endYear=1997&modelCodeList=F350&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&isNewSearch=false&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=1997&modelCodeList=F350&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=F350&clickType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eCode1=FORD&modelCode1=F350&clickType=listing

5. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I just bought an 09 ram 3500 with a Cummins and 6 speed - it will be commercial duty pulling a 2 car enclosed trailer . A lot of truck for the mid teens

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You said older trucks and then stated 14-16 model years. You looking at older trucks or 2014 and newer?

7. vosnick52

I'm looking at 2014-16 and they have around 150k miles on them for the price we need to be at

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Tim.

Not sure what your budget is, but we got a bone stock ‘05 GMC 2500 HD Duramax w/ 68k and a southern truck so no rust for a very good price. They are out there.

I intend to have Kennedy diesel do the EGR disable/flash and injector upgrades. Not making a coal roller, just addressing the factory restrictions.

EDIT - I wanted a pre emission diesel and a Duramax/Allison, so we are pretty happy. It was an old guy truck too, so no stupid black wheels etc.

good luck with the search,
    M

DmanSlam and Kyle Brosius like this.
  9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

These are the best finds. I was on to a 2002 F250 being sold by the original owner. Had tasteful upgrades and his asking price wasn't too shabby. The same truck owned by my fellow 20-something year olds are beat to shit and have neon lights in the wheel wells.

RRP likes this.
  10. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I tow with a 1999.5 F350, I put a BTS tranny in it, twin pump fuel system with a regulated return, Adrenaline hpop, big injectors, and a gtp38r turbo. The truck is around 450-500hp to the tire and will tow anything you hook to it 80mph through the Cumberland gap. I absolutely love it. The best part is I don’t have a truck payment and it will out tow $50,000+ stock 6.7 superdutys. The truck also did not come from the factory with any emissions equipment so in the future if they mandate your stock emissions equipment to be on your truck you don’t have to worry about it.

If you can find a OBS (older body style) or first gen superduty with the 7.3 in it and preferably a manual tranny (unless you want to cough up 5k for an unbreakable automatic) that is rust free and under 150,000 miles I’d go that direction. Especially if it has a bigger turbo and injectors in it.

The only downside to them is if you ever plan on towing a big ass fifth wheel camper they don’t have the GVWR to do so even though upgraded they are more than capable you can’t change your GVWR by upgrading the suspension and brakes.

Also as stated above there are nice and clapped out trucks for sale. You have to be able to sort through them and find one that’s not clapped because a clapped diesel is a money pit.

You also can’t go wrong with a 5.9 or pre emissions 6.7 (2007?) Cummins and a stick provided it’s not clapped.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Im with these guys...pre emmisions crap is what I would look for.

Find a clean 2006-2007 Chevy Duramax with the LBZ...only EGR to deal with and very reliable.

12. vosnick52

Wont a tuner take care of the newer model emission crap?
    The is a couple really nice 2013 Ford f-250's with 125k for the price range we need to be be in.

13. vosnick52

My wife will be driving it every day so she needs some thing with a nice interior. She has all the bells and whistles with our Titan she drives now

14. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

No I believe you still have to physically delete the DPF, DEF, and EGR. Then you’re in a pickle if your state decides to mandate all of the factory emissions components be on your truck to legally drive it on the road.

tony 340 likes this.
  15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The ability to delete has been diminishing since the feds started actually paying attention to it. Lot of the tuning companies caught some big fines. It can still be done, but that window is closing IMHO.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yep. Can’t beat a 01-07 Duramax. Unfortunately that’s no secret so clean ones are hard to come by.

If you can live with DEF, the 07-14 are nice too but they’re know for body rot issues so look for a southern truck.

17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

06-07 5.9 6 speed Cummins. No drama.

18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Fwiw, my ‘16 cummins has been very good to me for 89k miles i have on it now. 350 horse and 900lb tq, this thing will pull the world if it ever stopped.

Creature comforts include a sun roof, electric sliding rear window, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, easy to use nav and center screen. It has front and rear sensors, a cargo camera and rear bumper camera. It has an oem brake controller and exhaust brake. I also have an upgraded sound system in mine.

I use mine as a daily driver as well as my track rig.

Mixed driving gets me 17mpg. Highway is anywhere from 22-27 depending on how fast im going. Towing a single axle fully laden 6x14 trailer is 15-19 depending on speed.

I deleted mine, so those are the numbers youd be looking at for a Dodge.

I love mine. I bought it outright knowing I would keep it for at least 500k miles.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    RRP likes this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

For what it’s worth, I’ve been discussing the whole process with (John) Kennedy the last few months. As I understand it, he actually “tunes” the EGR out - he calls it a disable not delete. The physical components stay in place I believe.

I’m not a diesel (or any other sort) of tech - so I may be mistaken on my interpretation.

He specializes in the Duramax stuff, but he may ( as I’m sure other shops do) do this with all makes.

We really like our big truck.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  20. vosnick52

Well I'm curious if I need airbags in the rear on a stock 2500 pulling around 10k lbs?
    I have air bags ordered for the Titan since they are definitely needed