1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawk NT650 - What is this thing on frame?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by YoshiHNS, Jun 25, 2020.

1. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Slowly going through this Hawk 650 picked up on salvage auction. Put enough of it together to make sure it runs/drives/shifts. Rolling it out of the garage, I hear all this gear/chain noise. Poking around some more, I find this. Looks like someone welded a hose clamp or something to the frame. Anyone seen anything like that? Cutting it off otherwise when I go do a full rebuild.

Attached Files:

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I don't know what that is specifically, but the intent is to keep the chain off of the frame. When you set those bikes up for racing, the chain has to have a ton of slack for the shock to be able to work properly. If the chain is set using normal slack measurements, as the shock compresses, the chain gets pulled completely tight and acts as the worst rebound you have ridden. It also wears the chain and sprockets really fast.

When I raced mine, I made a bracket that held a roller from a dirtbike. The bracket mounted to the that threaded boss in the picture, and the chain rolled on it instead of the frame. I say, get that out of there, and install a chain roller. I bet the noise from that is horrible.

YoshiHNS and VFR#52 like this.
  3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Kinda surprised JD Hord doesn't make something for that...

4. Numlock

Numlock Well-Known Member

YoshiHNS likes this.
  5. loser

loser Well-Known Member

That is the mounting portion for the factory chain rub block. It was allowed to wear so far down that it finally separated and fell off leaving just that mount and bolt.

dsffds.JPG

YoshiHNS likes this.
  6. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of making a chain roller and covering that connector so it can't catch the chain.

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

B091C741-5053-422E-9894-CAB79C9634A7.jpeg

Here is my hyperform one. I think they are out of business though. Their page has been down for a while.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    stickboy274 likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can make that...

9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Thanks. I should be ok. Have a machine shop and a 3D printer. Between them I should be good.

Salvage yard wrote "stuck in gear" on the tank. Put a section of tubing over the bolt to keep the chain from grabbing. Made sure it would shift and drive through the gears. All is good. Need to schedule a salvage inspection now and figure the easiest route for the exhaust can replacement to pass inspection. Then the fun of fixing everything else.

10. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

I'm using this for now. Will probably make a roller.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

12. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

The Hawk has a full supertrapp system. The end can was crushed in the accident. Should be fine with just a new can. I have to read the rules and see if I am required to have a DOT legal exhaust for the inspection.

ducnut likes this.