1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Did you want pure road (90% road 10% light gravel)? How wide do you want to go? If you want a common sized road tire (25-30c), the GP5000's come in 650b. My wife has 650b 28c Conti GP5000's on her bike. They're not as tough as gator skins, but they sure are a fast tire.

Here is a link to a review of some of the top road tires: https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/35-best-road-bike-tyres-218046

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

yes, mostly road but, our roads are tarred and chipped, and i am either riding a 1/2 mile of gravel, or 1.5 miles of gravel daily, to get to and from the pavement, from the house. so the tire, and tube needs to be stout but, i dont want to give up the speed and less rolling resistance of a slick tire. Ski

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Have you considered switching to tubeless? What PSI are you typically running?

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i am not interested in tubeless, you still are going to get punctures, just a different repair, to the same root cause. and messy sealant packing into your wheel. tire is rated to 75 psi, i run 65-70, we have pot holes, and dips, i need rim bead protection. Ski

Cannoli likes this.
  5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I'm with Ski - tubes are just fine.

As I age, I'm more and more about simplicity and comfort. At 6'-2" and 200 lbs, speed, micro improvements in rolling resistance, etc., simply are not concerns. How does a tire feel, how long does it last, what is its puncture resistance, how much does it cost are all far more important to me. I'm a human air dam on a steel framed bike, rolling on 30 mm wheels over gravel, country roads, and mixed pavement with plenty of imperfections to keep one's attention.

The Gatorskins are durable, long lasting, puncture resistant tires. The Schwalbes have great feel and grip but, not surprisingly, wear faster. And, it has been my experience, they are generally more pricey than others.

There's some great info here, but the minutiae are lost on me. Pedal on.

Cheers,

Dave

Cannoli likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

What did you ride before? I want to pick those up after my GP4Ks are done.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It would def help if you’re pinch flatting, but yea a tear that would wreck a clincher is going to wreck a tubeless tire as well.

It’s really not that messy if you use the syringe method.

I found the switch to tubeless revelatory on my XC bike, but I was pinch flatting every other ride and would wash out the front if I bumped up the pressure. Different application, too, I suppose.

If this is your first flat in a while, def not worth it.

8. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Before that I was using the Specialized Roubaix. I was getting a flat once every ~3 weeks on those. I would have expected that tire to have a more durable casing.

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

TL/DR: Canyon CF SL8.0 with rim brakes @ 15.4lb for $2700 or Canyon CF Disc SL8.0 @ 16.7lb for $3000?

Thoughts on disc vs rim brake? I need / want a new bike and have homed in on a couple of Canyon options. Current bike is an 8 yr old Trek 2.1 AL frame and rim brakes and around ~19-20lb. Looking at the Canyon Ultimate CF SL8.0 with rim brakes at 15.4lb for $2700. But I had in my mind I wanted to jump to disc brakes. I'll love my disc brakes on my MTBs and have done some road rides in pouring rain through hills and such and always think my next bike "will have discs". However, the jump to disc Canyon CF SL Disc 8.0 adds $300 and raises weight to 16.7lb (still light in my book). Both of these have regular rims and one small factor is that I have some 33mm Williams rim brake wheels I really like and could swap right over to the rim brake Canyon and be happy. I know for the Disc SL8.0, I would eventually want to get some ~30-40mm rims for that balance of aero and weight / cross-wind. I can feel the cross-wind on the 33mm and don't fancy going deeper than that. So what do you like light and cheaper with rim brake option, or just get the disc and be happy it's still 3lb lighter than the current steed?

10. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

I built a ‘super bike’ sworks tarmac sl6 (etap, Ee brakes, etc) and the only thing I regret is not getting a disc frame. Go with the disc frame and upgrade the rest of your shit down the road.

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Pics!!

12. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I have rim brakes on both of my bikes and will unquestionably have disc going forward. Like it or not, rim is essentially dead.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

All of that may be true, but just because "rim brakes are dead" doesn't mean the bike no longer rides. I get my tail whooped by folks on rim break bikes on a regular basis, and I'm pretty fast.

Would I buy a rim brake bike in the future? Not likely, but rim brake bikes are still a potent cycling weapon. :beer:

EDIT: I didn't mean for this to come off snarky. Please forgive me if it did as it is NOT my intention.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    DucatiBomber and Senna like this.
  14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Go with the Disc version. You'll be happier in the long run and if you decide to do a wheel upgrade in the future, it will be easier to find Disc brake options.

While light is always good, if you think about it, you can likely shed ~3lbs in the first few weeks of riding and make up for that deficit. I have the Ultimate CF SLX Disc at 5.9kg. Once you put peddles on, a saddle bag with the essentials, bottle cages AND full water bottles, you're already up 2-4lbs. Don't fret over kit weight and focus on getting stronger and leaner.

PS: A good pre-ride dump can shave off another pound or two. :D

15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yup, I put maybe 1500 miles on the Trek last year and dropped from 196lb at the beginning of 2019 to 173lb at the NJ race late in the year. I’m back up to the 190lb and need to drop back down and the damn Trek is creaking like a mf-er. Still chasing the creak but wanted to finally go CF and disc and get my ass riding more. Thanks for all the input, the votes helped!

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not that the Canyon isn't a good bike, but take a look at the Allez Sprint Disc if you haven't already. Might be able to snag a used one pretty cheap. I was shocked at how stiff that thing felt.

It's basically the R6 of road bike - thing appears to be so damn popular on the crit scene.

17. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

As Senna said, it's always wise to research your options before pulling the trigger. There are a lot of really good bikes available on the market today. I was able to visit the Canyon showroom in California last December while on a work trip and was able to get sized and chat Canyon tech with the sales maintenance guys for several hours.

My wife and I both recently purchased two Canyons; Ultimate SLX for me and Endurace CF for her, both Disc and Di2. Before making this decision, I did a LOT of research and comparative analysis with other brands (reach/stack, groupset, finishing kit, reviews, cost, etc).

With over 3k miles between us, I can say we absolutely LOVE the Canyon and I would definitely consider them again in the future. We came from Trek Domane SL5 Disc's (awesome bike in its own right) and the form, fit, and finish are significantly different (in a more aggressive but refined way). We still ride the Trek's, but not on the road any more. I converted them to gravel and are loving every mile in their new configuration.

When I ride each bike back to back, the Canyon feels like a precision tool ready to carve up the roads. The Trek feels like a comfortable cruiser that will comply with my directions, but in its own time. Huge difference and n a really good way.

PS. I probably wouldn't have liked the riding position of the Canyon this time last year. My body dynamics, form, and flexibility (including core strength) weren't up to par for the aggressive stance of the Canyon. I say this to set expectations. The bike is amazing to ride, but you need to be in form to get the most out of it.

Sorry so long. I just wanted to share our experience with Canyon to date.

18. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Totally agree that a room break bike is just as capable. mine may not be, but that is because of the rider. Just think that if one is buying a new bike, they may as well get the latest technology if the price premium is minimal

19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Nobody riding aero bikes? Heard it's the next big trend. :)

I've had mine for 10 years now, not sure why everyone is buying round tubes anymore to be honest.

20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I am. Cervelo S2 and a Felt AR1. However every time I pick up a lighter round tube, I question it.

My Cervelo is heavier than the Felt, but has some old Bontrager XXX Superlites on it. I need to weigh it, but it does appear to be lighter than the Felt.