1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mid ohio VMD

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by guzziguy, Jun 3, 2020.

1. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

so I heard VMD is cancelled, tell me it is not so!

2. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Postponed. Make up date TBD. Just got an email from the AMA.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, waiting for more info.

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Maybe they could get it rescheduled for a track with good pavement and closer to me. How about Road America in September?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Road America in September could be fun, or it could snow :D

ungwaha likes this.
  6. kenessex

Yeah, but there would be beer and brats either way.

ungwaha and joec like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True, however there aren't enough of either to offset the boss having to deal with a snowed out event even if it isn't directly ours...

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm brats & beer!

9. kenessex

Snow isn't really likely in September or even October. In fact, the earliest snowfall in WI was the very end of September 1942. I would take those odds any day and twice on Sunday.
    Maybe the AMA would consider Nelson Ledges since it is still in Ohio. I wouldn't mind going there again.

10. Chuck78

Chuck78 Well-Known Member

Tentatively postponed until end of summer, September is looking like the most likely time so I hear from inside source rumors.

11. Chuck78

12. Chuck78

[​IMG]

June 3, 2020
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media contact: Matthew Miles
    Phone: (614) 856-1900, ext. 1347
    E-mail: [email protected]
    To access images from past AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, see https://gallery.americanmotorcyclist.com/AMA-VMD

2020 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days Postponed, New Date To Be Determined

Annual celebration of America's motorcycling heritage benefits the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Mid-Ohio), working closely with state and local health authorities, are postponing AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, scheduled for July 10-12 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio, in accordance with the state's "Responsible RestartOhio" guidelines for holding public events amid the coronavirus pandemic. New dates for the event later in 2020 have not been finalized.

"Unfortunately, event restrictions in place under order of the Ohio Department of Health prohibit many traditional elements of AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days that our competitors and fans have come to enjoy," said AMA Chief Operating Officer James Holter. "The social interaction and camaraderie are an integral component that we love about this event. The multi-day swap meet, the camping, in-field activities, the crowds, not to mention the organic fun of the event, are impossible in light of the current situation."

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course President Craig Rust added: "We are disappointed, but this is the right decision. Mid-Ohio will continue to work closely with the AMA, as well as our state and local health officials, to monitor the ongoing coronavirus situation and identify when AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days can be rescheduled for 2020. We ask for everyone's patience, and we will announce a new date as soon as possible."

Previously purchased tickets will be honored on the new date.

Established in 1990 and held at Mid-Ohio for the past 24 years, AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days is hailed as an annual celebration of America's motorcycling heritage, welcoming thousands of enthusiasts and hundreds of vendors for bike shows, racing, seminars, the country's largest motorcycle swap meet and more.

Proceeds from AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days support the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame. For the latest news about the event, visit www.vintagemotorcycledays.com or www.facebook.com/AMAVintageMotorcycleDays.

The AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame, located on the AMA campus in Pickerington, Ohio, tells the stories and preserves the history of motorcycling's legends and heroes. For more information, call (614) 856-2222, or visit the Hall of Fame website at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/hall-of-fame/.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
    Founded in 1924, the AMA is a not-for-profit member-based association whose mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling. As the world's largest motorcycling rights and event sanctioning organization, the AMA advocates for riders' interests at all levels of government and sanctions thousands of competition and recreational events every year. The AMA also provides money-saving discounts on products and services for its members. Through the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington, Ohio, the AMA honors the heroes and heritage of motorcycling. For more information, visit www.americanmotorcyclist.com.

Not a member? Join the AMA today: www.americanmotorcyclist.com

13. kenessex

Does WERA have any input on a new date and /or track?
    I have never been a fan of Mid- Ohio, dating back to the mid 80's when I first ran it.

14. Chuck78

I doubt they'd move it to another state, and unlikely they'd move it to a different location, unless Mid Ohio S.C.C. was unavailable.

They're talking now that possibly the coronavirus is just a winter disease or ailment, and that the heat and humidity will make it very unlikely to be communicable now.
    Probably too soon to get all the restrictions lifted and reinstate the event however. Wish it were late July, then it would probably still stay on..

The motocross track is there @ Mid Ohio, the extensive woods course hare scramble trails are there, & the attendeee fan base is used to it being in Ohio. Moving it 6+ hours away would eliminate a lot of attendees, & it'd be a "new event for other interested people in the vicinity, so perhaps wouldn't gain as much new attendence as it loses from long distance relocation.

I get it that the road race course is not the most awesome, but it seems like a very good place for the entire event as a whole, and especially considering the tradition of it and the fact that ama is headquartered just one hour away...

We've got all summer to ride at other additional tracks. I would vote in favor of Mid-Ohio for all the reasons stated. However I am not afraid to ride my bike all the way from Ohio to Alabama for Barber every year possible, but my attendance is not as guaranteed then due to distance and late in the season weather for riding there... Overnight lows of 40 on a long-haul motorcycle trip are not that appealing to me. Speaking as an attendee, I don't race at Barber.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Well, we give input but no say in the decision, they're having to look at what works for the event as a whole.

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

It's not going to snow in September there. Shit that time of the year is the nicest weather.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was a joke. I know September is still effectively the end of summer.

18. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Is there any inside info on a possible reschedule or cancellation yet? I haven't seen anything on the AMA website or Facebook page since June.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have no idea what the holdup is. They were trying for this month which is now over...

Anyone who pre entered and want to move entry fees to the GNF or the like just email me and we'll sort it out. I can do WERA credits too since the money never got sent to the AMA. Only issue is refunds - paypal is not refunding fees and we're not going to take the hit on it nor should you or the AMA really so either of the first options is much better for everyone.