1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full size trucks - gas mileage difference

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, May 27, 2020.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As mentioned elsewhere, my previous employer hasn’t had a single Cummins they didn’t have to put a topend into (we’re talking Class 8 engines). That usually is the straw that puts them on the trade list, regardless of mileage. They’ve stopped buying Cummins.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting, as I thought this was an anomaly and always figured I would still like to own a cummins.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Again, we’re talking Class 8 engines, so 12-15 liters of displacement. It wouldn’t apply to the various consumer engines.

We’ve had more than 1000 of them, sitting between the rails of Internationals and Peterbilts, over the years. The Peterbilts all get Paccar engines, now. Internationals were phased out. There currently are ~1700 Volvos and the D13 have their issues, too. Mostly EGR/DPF-related and injector issues, which are ULSD-related. There’s no such thing as a perfect powerplant, these days.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

You all have convinced me just to buy another Toyota if mine ever wears out.

SuddenBraking and 969 like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Same neighbor had a V6 4 runner that popped head gaskets. Don’t remember the years, but they can have problems too.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tacoma or Super Duty are my choices.

Used to be RAM but I'll be done with diesels next time around so, 7.3 Godzilla Super Duty gasser - GM, RAM can't touch it...or Tacoma, gotta see if I can swing that schwing 5th wheel toy hauler necessitating the need for bigger.

My opinion, and I say that as tho' it should be taken with due consideration, if you think you want something a little more than the Tacoma, like an F-150, sure, go for it. If you think you're gonna be towin' a 7000lb boat, get a Super Duty, or the like, cuz that 7000lb boat is empty. Add fuel, motors and all the rest of your crap, on top of a trailer that isn't gonna break, and the F-150 is barely capable on flat ground.

I've considered saving $47K on a new Godzilla and throw that money at my ol' 7.3 PowerStroke but, at the end of the day, it's an old truck that needs a $10K paint job, it's not 4x4, it can't touch today's tow ratings and who knows what it costs to get a reliable extra 90HP and the torque to go with it. The Godzilla motored Super Duty beats it all around and the price is, dare I say it, reasonable at under $50K if you don't opt for all the flashy/blinky dumb shit.

On the other side, Tacomas are the last pickups to have manual transmissions - the only real reason I'd be interested in one - and they seem to last forever. It can tow 6500lbs, 50% more than I would ever need. And, if I do get the 5th wheel (which means a bigger truck) the Tacoma's resale is stupid high, like, might as well buy a new one.

7. Boman Forklift

Only problem with all this is, in your mind you already assume the 7.3 gasser is the end all, be all, motor. It will take a few years before we know if it enters the hall of fame or has problems like many other ford/chevy/toyota/etc motors have.

fixerflyer likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

I hear ya...I have faith. :D

Godzilla is as overbuilt for a gasser as the 7.3 PowerStroke was under-stressed for a diesel. There has been one issue with Godzilla, somehow the bracket that holds the under-piston oil spray nozzles was getting whacked. It was a production line issue, prolly smackin' it somehow with the forged steel crank as they were being assembled. Guy programming the robot didn't take into account having to maneuver so as not to hit the brackets...or some beancounter told him to cut that step out, not knowing it was necessary to avoid hitting the bracket(s).

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d order my SD with a 7.3, 4.30 gears, and roll on. It should be enough to handle my 12’ box trailer.

10. Rockitansky68

Rockitansky68 Well-Known Member

Gas mileage and the Cylinder deactivation system on all trucks EXCEPT Toyotas are a huge factor. My 2017 Ram 5.7 4x4 gets roughly 18.0 mpg with 8 speed trans. Pretty dam good for full size 4wd. But lets chat about cylinder deactivation, great for gas, bad for overall reliability. It seems most CD engines are ok with long term reliability but you can get a lemon and the v8 eats itself and walla new engine after like 60k miles. I had a 2002 Nissan Frontier, got shitty gas mileage, no deactivation system, but was reliable, but no power either.
    Build quality on my Ram is only OK, but I do hear the running gear is good, most important thing IMHO, but I really love the truck. Rides great, pulls 10k towing, great power, nice interior etc....and the new Nissan is so dam ugly!

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Jeep Gladiator has manual trans option and can tow 7500 lbs., FWIW. Also pretty damn hard to touch their (anticipated) resale value.

ducnut likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Coasties were using them way before the SEALS. Just saying :D

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

tell me more?? Doesnt it have that shitty V6? I recall there being a turbo 4 available... with a manual would be kind of a hoot.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Going manual reduces the tow rating, FYI.

15. TurboBlew

could have sworn they had a turbo version but guess not. Config'd a basic S model with hard top, tow pkg/6sp and it was 38ish... with a v6. No thanks. A friend did the vortech/header thing and it woke up some and just got thirstier... like 140 mile range on a tank thirsty.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Just the V6 in the trucks, the Wranglers get the option of the turbo'd 4, though I think they stopped offering the 'e-boost' version like I have in my 2019.

17. TurboBlew

there are some aftermarket turbo kits for $8000 on the V6. If the price on the truck were ~$5000 lower wouldnt be that much to stomach.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My CD engine ate a lifter/pushrod at 89k. Fixed it myself....f&*& ton of work....and now its purring along with a bigger cam and only maybe 1-2 mpg less than before.

Eff those stupid CD enginges....

19. fastfreddie

Back then, SEALs were growing and very open to new ideas. They had to have been thankful the CG brought this one into the system, you know, not having to set up all the procurement BS and the rest of the scut work. :flag:

The Outrage coulda passed muster even without the CG's demonstration of its use...after all, it is a Boston Whaler. But who's to say what the SEALs woulda ended up with if the Outrage wasn't in the system? Someone woulda had to been feeding the SEALs ideas. Likely the CG, you know, all that time sittin' around sippin' coffee and flippin' through the latest TrailerBoat magazine while waiting for the SHTF moments. ;)
    (Just a little inter-service jaw-choppin'.)

rd400racer likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

What? Five foot bed and 4X4? That's just an offroad-capable grocery getter. :Poke:
    :D