1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

There will/should still be a compound sticker on the sidewalk of the fire. If that doesn’t exist there’s a compound code as a last resort.

2. grapejuiceboys

grapejuiceboys Well-Known Member

There are no stickers on either side.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The compound sticker is on the right side. It may still have the black plastic cover over it. So remove it

Or give me the code from the left side probably starts with a letter and then 3 digits? Then 4 numbers for the date code.

4. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

No one has ridden the new slicks yet I see.

busa99 likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well 20 or so WSBK racers have, and of course 5 or so Pirelli development riders have but they don't follow WERA bbs so...

track wagon likes this.
  6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I rode them :)

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

track wagon likes this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ya ya Rob I was hoping MDM or some riders would add something but it was a holiday weekend so...

Boman Forklift and track wagon like this.
  9. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I am not a rider? :Putter:

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Track was Big Willow it was 83 degrees out with 8 mph winds. Ran Sc1 front and rear. Front pressure off warmer was 36 rear pressure off warmer was 24 rose to around 26 off the track tried higher and lower pressures I was the most happy with 26 off the track. Flipped the rear 2 times as this track is very hard on the right side of the tire. Lasted 5 sessions the last session the drive dot on both sides was gone. For racing it would have lasted 2 sprint races 1 race on each side to keep the same pace.

First thing I noticed once I got up to pace is the front tire steers to the apex mush easier under braking compared to the old tire may have been a confidence/feel thing as well. It was very easy to brake hard to the apex. I made no geometry changes to the bike from the old tires as well just put them on and went. I made changes to the clickers through out the day with my suspension guy but no changes to geometry.

Edge grip was very similar. The rears drive grip was better..... I think that is a combination of it being a bigger heavier tire as well as more rubber on the track. I dont use traction control on my 2017 zx10r. While rolling on the throttle smoothly the rear didn't move around much unless you got greedy on the very edge of the tire.

I have a Ktech DDS pro shock and GP carts. Feel wise on the brakes and stability wise mid corner the bike felt just as plated even over big willows bumps as the old tires.

My biggest take aways the front has more grip and is easier to steer under braking rear has better drive grip but is a big tire. My 240 pound 6'7 as wasnt pulling anyone on the straights. :)

Ducti89 and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would think lasting that long on a bike with that much power is really good life.

Sounds like you like it better vs the old one which is always good.

12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I agree but the first 2 session I was still getting use to everything so I wasn't going to fast.. The middle 2 sessions were fast and the last session was damn these still have some grip even shagged!!! Yes the new ones I do like better just wish they would stop making rears bigger and bigger. I need all the power I can get!!

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well yeah, but it took you a long time to post right:D

track wagon likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I had to lengthen the chain on my 2003 R1 to fit the 200/60 (stock is a 190/50), but not until after I rubbed some paint off the swingarm. I am pretty sure it was with the warmers and not when riding. I doubt the 200/65 is going to fit, so if they discontinue the 200/60 looks like I have to move to another brand or run DOTs.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You aren't the only guy to have to deal with being big.
    [​IMG]
    A good friend of mine figured it out and rode at the pointy end of FUSA and club racing for many years, so you can figure it out. Fritz #421 RIP racer, we miss you.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    track wagon likes this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

With the slow down of racing and track days this year I don't think they will run out of 200/60 real soon but I'm checking for you.

Size wise here's some data
    P Slick 200/60, 200 wide & 662 diameter
    200/65, 202 wide & 672 diameter
    180/60, 190 wide & 656 diameter
    P DOT sizes
    200/60, 200 wide & 670 diameter
    200/55, 195 wide & 656 diameter

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Hey 2blue, there's lots of 200/60s around so no reason to get worried.

18. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Tires grow when they get hot:D

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Thanks for checking, I know I am good for a while and running the 200/55 DOT would probably be fine as well. I could probably go back to the stock chain length with that tire. It is just track days and I ride my SV most of the time now anyway because it is more fun. When I pass someone, it is nice to know it is me and not the bike doing the passing. :D

Yeah, I could feel it rubbing when the thick part of the warmer (end part with the strap) went through the swingarm. If the tire was rubbing on track, I never felt it, heard it or had any unusual wear. No one that followed me reported seeing smoke either. Some of that paint being gone is probably from 12 years of track day debris hitting the swingarm too.

20. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I have been doing alright so far. I guess I only notice it when we hit the straight and the 150 guy just walks away :) have to make it up on the brake and corner speed.