1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycle Jam 2020 at Road Atlanta canceled

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, May 21, 2020.

1. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Awful news.

Thanks so much for trying though WERA.

2. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Any store, track, and business can enforce the mask thing and you just gotta do it. If you wanna race then masks is the new normal.

We've been wearing masks at my job for about 2 months now. Earlier this week a guy in front of me tried to enter the building without a mask and got sent home. The security guard told him "you can free-ball it out there but your ass ain't coming in here without a mask". Of course we all laughed and pointed, but I think he got the hint.

noles19 and TLR67 like this.
  3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I don't race anything anymore, but I can say that if I had to choose between racing and wearing a mask all weekend and not racing at all, I'll wear the mask. Overnight travel is difficult for me these days, but as soon as spectators are allowed I will be packing a cooler and sunblock just to cheer y'all on. I haven't been able to go for the past 5 or 6 years and it's time. Hell, for the right event I could be convinced to crew or volunteer pretty easy.

4. 418

418 Expert #59

No it's not the new normal. Being a germophobe is not the new normal.

And any business that is going to enforce wearing mask is not going to get my money. Simple as that.

I'm not about to throw a leg over a racebike and ride at the limits of my skill and adhesion to go back to the pits and sit in a mask all weekend over some fear of a virus that poses virtually no threat to a healthy person.

Asking us to wear masks in enclosed spaces and riders meeting would have been resonable. Having people wear masks in a open air environment is f$cking stupid. Period. Especially since most people have done a good job social distancing nowadays.

And work is a completely different conversation and doesn't apply here.

I think there's a happy medium somewhere and we need to find it ASAP.

Thistle, JJJerry, turbulence and 5 others like this.
  5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I applaud your right to shop where you want.

You'll have a difficult time in the near future, and I applaud the businesses that require simple, reasonable, rational precautions in a pragmatic effort to get/keep the economy going.

Cheers,

Dave

6. 418

418 Expert #59

I do as well. That's why I said a happy medium needs to be found.

BTW I posted previous post from a national restaurant chain. Not one single person that wasn't a employee was wearing a mask. New normal huh?

TLR67 and VFR#52 like this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Dude you need to wear a mask at all times...Full skulled and covering your ugly portion from the shoulders up...The Matt Mask.... The new norm... Hope to see you at Barber Coolio

418 likes this.
  8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am in your camp for the most part. However in this case there is more than one business involved. And in many cases more than one government. So for instance at Barber there is what WERA wants. But also the track and both are influenced by their insurance companies. Oh and Barber is subject to Alabama government, county government and B'ham government as a park. This varies by track but you get the idea. Careful who you punish it might not be the correct target.

The Great One and bugeye like this.
  9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You do know CycleJam is at Road Atlanta not Barber right? STT will be in a Alabama this weekend at Tally and Barber next weekend..

VFR#52 and 418 like this.
  10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Just using it as a general example for his stick it to them attitude. Point being doing so might be hitting the wrong people. And yes I saw STT :)

TLR67 likes this.
  11. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

I get it, BUT if you wanna race and support WERA (which is a business) then you have to jump through a few those hoops for the 1st race or two. As far as the happy medium goes, if they came up with a solution like no masks while seated in the pits but masks required if you're walking around socializing, then people would still have to follow those rules.

TLR67 likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This is what I'm thinking.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

NASCAR is a publicly traded company and that company owns Road Atlanta. We could have raced had we been able to guarantee following the rules their teams are following. Not being paid to be there we cannot guarantee it in the least.

noles19 and TLR67 like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way too many months and events between now and then. No one as far as I have seen is making any set plans or rules that far out other than people/places that have cancelled or moved events.

VFR#52 likes this.
  15. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I saw a picture from a car event at Road Atlanta this past weekend. A corner marshal at a turn by herself and no spectators had to wear a face mask.

16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

The reason I asked is because I figured you had already asked them this question and they may as gave you a timeline with a if things go like they been going then they will lift mask deal.
    But thanks for the answer.

Steven

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no answer at this point. No timeline, no guesses. Way too many variables. At this point I'm happy if I have more than 10 day lead time on running or cancelling any given event.

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Yep kinda pretty crappy stuff going on with all this and Wera trying to run a business that needs people and tracks to earn a living.
    Feel for you both in these times.
    Hopefully this will just be a small road bump this yr and racing can happen.

Steven

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

The horror. Wonder if she’s recovered from that yet.

Badger911GT3 and TLR67 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because it's not a tremendous physical strain doesn't make it any less idiotic.

418 and JJJerry like this.