1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tread wear pattern

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 8nthatk, May 23, 2020.

1. 8nthatk

8nthatk Well-Known Member

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

What are you concerned about? The tread wear down the center of the tire compared to the edges? Does your riding consist of lots of miles ridden straight up and down, as in highway commuting? If so, that’s a normal wear pattern.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

All it tells me is that it needs to be replaced :D

8nthatk and track wagon like this.
  4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Shows that you don’t replace tires often enough

8nthatk and track wagon like this.
  5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

You're on the street so, regardless of tire, you'll eventually have a flat section across the middle along with chicken strips (if that's an obsession). And unless you're tracking your road bike every other weekend (doesn't seem so?), I would recommend going with Michelin Road 4 or 5s. They're capable, roadworthy tires for commuting and travel. Better in the wet on the streets as well.

6. 8nthatk

No concerns, just wondering if there is anything there that would indicate an adjustment is warranted to a good, experienced set-up man. I guess I should send the pic to a chassis guy.

I was looking at the left side having more wear than the right and the upper half of the 'rain groove' worn more than the lower.

It's a twisties bike, no track but not a commuter either. Going with the same tire (well, V3).

Thanks for the input.

7. 8nthatk

It's not an obsession at all. Have about half inch chicken strips, which is good with me on the street.

8. 8nthatk

Thanks. No concerns, just trying to use it for set-up information if it's relevant.

9. 8nthatk

Ha. I wouldn't want to start a ride on those for sho. Pretty happy I ended a long one with them and got all of my money's worth. :beer:

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would just go ahead and forget about "reading your tires like tea leaves" for adjustments. Keep them inflated properly. Unless you're unexpectedly winning the GAP Invitational TT???

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Jeebus man....I know my '16 Tuono RR (with Factory Ohlins suspenders) handles like it's on the proverbial 'rails', but damn, didn't know it was THAT good with a tire like that.

Just how many miles did you put on it?

12. 8nthatk

Yeah, it got a little squirmy towards the end, but it was a 180 mile hard ride... def squeezed for all it had. Had to bump the ATC up the last 50 miles but made it home just fine.
    I had planned to change them yesterday morning, but the rain that was called for didn't happen and I couldn't resist.

Would have to look at the odo for miles made on it.

13. 8nthatk

Yes, I positively expect to win it unexpectedly.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I would just keep riding that - based on the photo, you're pretty close to turning it into a slick (when it'll be extra sticky, obviously).

15. 8nthatk

Hmmm...these tires don't have much in the way of 'tread' to begin with. Now the weight savings...that is something to consider.

Anyhoo, wifey had the answer. "Which side is the donkey hanging"? Yup, on the left. Mystery solved.

Riding centered isn't an option, so I'm gonna alternate; left, right, etc. Bingo. Now ya'll can relax and enjoy your holiday weekend. You're welcome.
    :D

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Keep riding on that and you'll be past the tread compound and into the rubber that coats the steel belts pretty quickly. And that under rubber doesn't offer much traction.
    They start with around 4 to 5 mm of tread depth if I remember correctly

8nthatk likes this.
  17. 8nthatk

If it wasn't clear, I was being facetious.

The tires have already been changed.

18. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

You will see more wear on the left side of the tire as roads are crowned.

8nthatk likes this.