1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable snobs... not DJs

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, May 23, 2020.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

The vinyl community is borderline unbearable in it's douchetaticness but at least they're passionate. I'm just looking for opinions on quality carts. Leaning toward a MP200 or M2 Bronze. Any suggestions backed up by experience would be great.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

upload_2020-5-23_14-39-5.jpeg

Mines a little old. But still kinda cool. I only have 3 records for it to play.

Yzasserina and SirCrashAlot like this.
  3. SirCrashAlot

That's awesome

4. StaccatoFan

Got it from my Grandfather 30 years ago. It’s been restored and last time it was played was for my sons class when they did a unit on Thomas Edison (2nd Grade). Other that that it rarely sees daylight. I’ll never sell it.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

What kind of phono stage preamp are you running? Sold on MM? And on what deck? Those are both very well-regarding MM carts, but I am an MC guy (on mid-fi gear).

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I’ve got an MP200 on my hot rodded Rega. I’m not familiar with the M2 but the Nagaoka paired with my Marantz 1060 makes some sweet music.

What cart do you currently have? What’s the rest of your system comprised of? What sound are you trying to achieve?

I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago and I remember that you have to take your whole system into consideration. Making sure the effective mass of the tonearm is a match for the cartridges is the first place to start.

7. SirCrashAlot

Well.. my first purchase of turntable is an at-lp1240-usbxp lol.... yes it's a dj table but I got it at a steal and it's solid and has a built in pre-amp. It has the Dj cart that came on it. I want something more for sound quality than durability. Have a denon avr but I usually listen through Shure SE-846 IEMs or AKG 502 headphones out of a headphone amp. Kinda new at this

8. SirCrashAlot

Not sold on MM carts. Open to MCs as well. Those are just two that I've seen pop up while researching.

9. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

MP200 is a nice cart and it will serve you well but you’ll find the decks phono stage the weak link in a big way. For a amp punching above its price point you might consider the Rega Fono MM MK3.

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Do you play them vertically?

Knotcher and StaccatoFan like this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Wanna know douchetasticness?
    If it's not a Thorens, it's not a turntable...and don't forget the Infinity Black Widow tonearm. You could set these up (not that you would) on top of a Sansui SP-5500X speaker system (15" woofers) and not get any hum, feedback or skips...even if you played the Overture of 1812!
    Where is this vinyl community that I may hose them down with my douchenozzle? :D

SethG and SirCrashAlot like this.
  12. StaccatoFan

I know right! Sorry...I posted that in a hurry and didn't rotate the photo.

It plays the cylinder style records, not flat disks. It's a patented 1882 Edison phonograph. It was sitting in a room full of "stuff" that had been stored for decades in my grandparent's abandoned farmhouse.

I'd never seen one before that, it fascinated me, and I asked my Gramps if I could have it, and he said it was OK for me to have as long as I played it for him once it was restored...which I did.

13. SirCrashAlot

659b020ea1a90182714571157aa6eb39.jpg

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

What is it about the sound that you’re trying to change?

At the risk of sounding like a snob, I’d probably recommend playing with what you have for now and if you feel like you want to go further with the hobby, ditch the all-in-one turntable and start building up a system.

On the other hand cartridges can be swapped to a new table so it wouldn’t be a total loss if you decide to upgrade.

MC carts require a phono preamp that’s capable of bumping up their low signal. Does your table have a line out that bypasses the phono stage?

15. SirCrashAlot

Yes to the line out. Just trying to make this thing sound as good as possible for the moment and like said maybe go a little apeshit on equipment later. Any money spent on it now would be for something that could be used on something else later like you said.

Mostly wanted to get rid of this DJ spec'd cart for something more pleasing to the ear since I don't scratch.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wish I had never sold my 1060

17. SirCrashAlot

I decided to go with the 2m Red just to try it out.... that way I can upgrade to the other models without buying the cartridge every time.

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Cool. My Uncle has my Great Grandfathers old Edison phonograph and about a dozen cylinders. He'll never sell it either, but at least one of his kids is "into" that stuff so it will live another generation in the family.

I've just got a cheap sony turntable, playing through a tube amp I picked up on amazon that also has bluetooth. Good enough for my ears, and when I get tired of spinning Moms old records, I tee up a live concert from youtube and play it from my phone.

The douchy golden ear fellows are interesting. Many years ago I made a couple turntable weights for guys form aluminum, they had to be a specific dia, and a specific weight as it was some kind of magic number lol. I turned some simple aluminum cylinders and sold them for ~$80. Easy money, and I didn't even feel bad about it :D. I don't remember the magic number though....

StaccatoFan and SirCrashAlot like this.
  19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

They’re still around for not stupid money if you’re patient. I recently recapped mine and it sings.

20. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

That tonearm was pretty sick