1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I have plenty of tires changed by all kinds of motorcycle shops, including mag wheels, nobody has scratched my wheels.

TLR67 likes this.
  2. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

I've had a coats 220 fur the last 20 years, never scratched a wheel in hundreds of tire changes,i have a good friend who used to work for no-mar he can change any tire in 30 seconds give or take on a no-mar, I will bend the tip I hate them, it's all about technic,i'm right handed but use a left handed technic on my coats confuses the hell out of people but it works well for me

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huh? In all cases except for one that I can think of, the track side tire vendors are independent business owners.

4. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I have a coats machine as well and would happily pitch in for setup and parts production or just outright buy some if that is possible. For now I just use folded rags and that seems to work well as far as not causing too much cosmetic damage. I have never thought about cracking a wheel and I hope that never happens!

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

These are Coats m/c adapters and I would think they can be bought from Coats in TN? I know that aren't cheap but the plastic tops are replaceable.
    Or with some measurements of these or where they attach someone could easily carve them out of Delrin in a similar shape. And I see Grainger sells this Delrin stuff

[​IMG]

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  6. Mike Lafayette

Thanks for digging into it more. I just called Coats to see what they offered for the 220. The told me the 220 was obsolete on their system therefore they don't support it. He did tell me that various sources that sell coats equipment (NAPA, etc.) can get order some clamp pads for this machine if you like, see below:

upload_2020-5-19_11-29-25.png
    I can't find a decent picture online of what they look like unfortunately. From what I can gather they cost ~$70. If anyone has them or can find a better picture please let me know I would like to see what they look like before I buy them.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's short for manufacturing but may have come to include manufacturer. I've been using it as such and have never been questioned about it before. o_O
    As far as I'm concerned, if the vendor and his/her crew are selling and installing only one brand's tires AND wearing the "uniform", they're on that MFG's payroll whether they're directly receiving a paycheck or not. Maybe not technically correct, but from the eyes of the consumer...
    They sit on the horizontal part of the jaw where your rim/wheel would sit. They provide no protection to the inside of the bead rim. As you can see, they get crushed, which spits them out so, you're constantly pushing them back into place or duct taping the shit of 'em. I'd send ya some but they're not worth the postage stamp.
    Blue lines are 9mm apart.
    KIMG0067.JPG

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  8. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Tire Machine.jpg For those that have a coats 220 MC base, this is what I made. I use fuel injection tubing (laying on the bumper) split long ways as my rim protectors. The bead breaker is simply a piece of trex decking. I've easily changed a hundred plus tires with this set-up.

If anybody wants to sell their 220 MC base send me a PM.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I guess I'll feel the same way when I buy a pair of Alpinestars gloves at the local Cycle Gear store? But for sure when we first put the race truck(s) on the road in the 90s we were selling directly to racers.

Ah the good old days, 14 hour days at the track, driving from Indy to Laguna and trying not to cheat on the log book to get there, on road safety inspections by Montana troopers, setting up and tearing down the canopy etc. by myself, waiting at air cargo terminals at 3 am on a Saturday for the tires that didn't get delivered Thursday. Yep the good old days, and I wouldn't change any of it

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

That picture sucks call your local Napa and ask for something better.

11. fastfreddie

Not the same thing. If you went to a store that sold only Alpinestar products and the clerk behind the counter was wearing an Alpinestar "uniform", then we'd be on the same page.

12. Mike Lafayette

Thanks for the picture, I will save my $70.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So I go to Cycle Gear and the guy (wearing a A Star hat and a Cycle Gear shirt) sells me a pair of A Star gloves and a Pirelli tire is different than you going to MDM where Mike (wearing a MDM hat and a Pirelli golf shirt) sells you a revamped set of MDM modified forks and a Yuasa battery is different?

14. fastfreddie

You're on the wrong page, pal.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Explain, I would love to hear why? But I'm out until tomorrow afternoon

16. fastfreddie

Ain't nobody got time for that. :D
    I'll make it simple...
    My opinion.

17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I made my new mount/demount bar today. I have some Michelin Pilot Road 5 coming in for the Mrs' new Ninja 400. That's when I'll get to test it and see which I like better, this or the NoMar bar.

Duckbill was $12 on amazon. The 1" square tuning wasn't much, maybe $15 or so. Bolts and nuts nyloc nut were $2 or $3 total.

Made the head/attachment point from 1/8" thick plate of steel, after making a cardboard template. Drilled holes and made sure everything went together. Welded tube in place then painted with gloss black rustoleum. Once dry, bolted it all up and cut off excess bolt and ground it smooth. Coated top of the nuts with permatex.

20200523_001443.jpg Screenshot_20200522-233918_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200522-233943_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200522-234017_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah that looks great, that's the way I was planning to go. There is a video on YouTube that looks just like that, and worked just fine.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

What the hell is a duck bill? It's a tire shoe, or guide

20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

When looking around to buy one they were all listed as a duckhead.

So I should've said duckhead instead of duckbill