1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 8, 2020.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Suspension, bodywork, a pipe and a flash. No custon subframes, no fancy wheels, no 3d printed ram air. Sounds so easy... Cant wait for 2021. :)

No Brakes and Gino230 like this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Lee was generally 2-3s off the winners' race lap times. IMO, thats a lot of development for the team and rider to cut that time.

The Great One and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Soooo... 88BEA5E1-3D8F-4514-91BD-928CDF8C7683.jpeg

4. redtailracing

Gotcha. I was thinking it was closer to the 1.5s range but very good chance my memory has once again failed me

Gino230 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

This would also work
    48B62716-07CB-4569-ADF5-C9F59D83F017.jpeg

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I understood it was less about tires and more about what the local OE office with influence from their HQ decide.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

There are some really fast kids on 400s that deserve to be in the Junior Cup but it's basically just the parents funding everything and having to take off from work to drive to the rounds and so on. Many of them just don't have the means to make it a full season. Also some are just not quite old enough. I'm excited to see how Blake Davis will do, but he doesn't turn 14 until sometime in July. Joey Limandri Jr is also a fast kid but I don't think they have the means to do a full season without outside support, so he'll probably only run east coast rounds.

What is the cutoff for Twins class? 110%?

Senna and Gino230 like this.
  9. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Yes. Jr Cup, Twins, and STK1000 is 110%.

SSP /SB are 108%

Gino230 and sbk1198 like this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I think he will be on the podium more often than not.

There is much less competition in the 600 class this season and Richie is faster than Ortt, IMO.

sbk1198 likes this.
  11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Agreed. I saw him on the kawi at chuckwalla back in Feb although I think the results showed him on an R6. I'm not sure if it was his first time on the bike but he was running 46's And 47s.

Kevin Olmedo was also very fast on his Altus Suzuki 600

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I will 100% agree on Richie being faster than Ortt.

I also would love to be wrong on my prediction. I love the ZX6R.

13. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I am pit bitch for my friend who is debuting in the twins class next week.
    Pass some positive energy his way... New bike to him with zero laps tested and a track neither of us have been to.

Quicktoy, Gino230, 23103a and 4 others like this.
  14. drop

drop Well-Known Member

IMO there are a lot more talented riders without super bike rides then Andrew Lee.

Unfortunately superbike is dead. Has been dead. And will remain until the powers at be finally come to their senses that, unlimited rules and budgets are what killed and are killing that class. And it makes no fucking sense really. Virtually no bike rules, but a stupid ass spec tire rule.

Robby-Bobby, Quicktoy and bugeye like this.
  15. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Last time I looked at the book, it seemed that there were a lot of rules for the SBK class. As far as engine's, you can alter the compression, do some head work, change the cams, and that's about it.. (for 2020 i don't think you're even allowed to have aftermarket rotating assemblies aside from rod bolts.) everything else is more or less off the shelf parts with a little bit of knowledge pricing (suspension valving, geometry, etc.)

I think the big gap here. (and absolutely correct me if i'm wrong please) Has to be the electronics packages. You have some teams running Magnetti Marelli, some teams running Motec, Wyman is running Ducati Corse last i knew, and some teams just running flashed kit ECU's. All of these have there pro's/con's, nothing competitive is cheap, and then you also have to find one of very few guys that can tune the software based on feedback from your rider.

However, because of cost, they can't just try new shit every year. I think MotoA needs to stick with its current ruleset for 2-3 years and then eventually move back to spec ECU.

Spec Tire, ECU, Fuel, rider aids, and datalogging limits seems to work out fantastic for the BSB series... But other than the electronics. The BSB bikes are essentially the same as the WSBK bikes. BSB is also easily one of the most entertaining National series in the world.

I will agree that MotoA needs work, but that work takes time. ECU rule changes every year just create added cost for teams just to show up.

Senna, sbk1198 and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Is his name Eric by chance? Races an FZR400 in CCS? Saw his name on the entry list and was really surprised. Messaged him about it but he didn't say anything other than a thumbs up emoji...

evakat likes this.
  17. redtailracing

Not that I know shit but I’ve always gotten the feeling that nowadays, electronics are what causes the biggest gaps between teams in any series. So I suspect you’re right.

Only thing about spec ECUs is I’ve read before that that situation ends up screwing some teams, especially because of what you mentioned about limited number of guys that know the software. I gather that some know magnetti, some know motec, etc. but if you narrow it down to 1 ECU, now there are even fewer experts available that know that system. And it seems some bikes interface great with certain ECUs and others interface better with different ECUs. But I very well have misinterpreted a lot of what I’ve read in the past as this is way outside my wheelhouse so take that for what it’s worth lol

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. redtailracing

Although part of me wishes they’d just go to no aftermarket ECUs, piggyback only. Limit the use/effectiveness of electronics. But I know that is also kind of against spirit of a superbike class.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Plus the fact or estimate that 40% or more of the UK population love sport bikes and this for sure helps fill the stands and supports the sport

Gixxerguy855 and RRP like this.
  20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Not this shit again. I think the dead horse should stay out of this thread.

jksoft likes this.