1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you pick up a Snapping Turtle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 21, 2020.

1. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You any good on a treadmill :D
    What’s the most bottled water you’ve bought in one sitting .
    Have you ever been on a motorcycle older than 1983

TurboBlew and SGVRider like this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:mad:

He's an idgit. Don't conjure him up.

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Sounds criminal to me. Draw a map and take this guy with you. 403EF89A-B011-43B9-854C-2F8AD81EB1C9.jpeg

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Okay. Don't go there.

Noted.

5. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

They have LONG necks.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, exactly why you don’t pick them up using the sides of their shell. SOBs can get you otherwise.

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

again... tail, you are NOT going to hurt them, and if fast enough, they are not going to hurt you. whatever you do, dont kick them on the edge of the shell, to move them. the edges are sharp enough to cut leather. i have moved, caught enough of them, in my lifetime. some of them bigger than the lid on a 16 gallon drum. Ski

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Hell no. It’s called an alligator snapping turtle. White people say the darnedest things.

R Acree likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

You can dislocate the bones in the tail by doing this. It’s connected to the inside of its body as well. Never pick a turtle up by its tail. You have a chance of hurting them. Considering that snapping turtles can be big and heavy you more than likely will cause damage and hurt them.
    Just as easy to pick them up at by the back of their shell.

_indy and SpeedyE like this.
  10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Whip out your cordless drill and put a small hole in the shell near the edge and put a leash on it. That’s what we did when we were kids.

G 97 likes this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Saw a video last week of a Canadian woman biologist showing how to move them. She grabbed the edge of the shell with her left hand above the rear leg then stuck her right arm under the belly and picked it up from the bottom. The demo turtle wasn't that big so wasn't that heavy, I'm not sure you could pick up a big one that way. I wouldn't be brave enough to try it.

Steeltoe and SpeedyE like this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I won't get anything I want to keep near the damn things. Stick or better yet a shovel. A little snapper, maybe 8" got into my lower pond. He had all the sunnies cleared out in a month.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

We did a similar thing with squinnys. We would take a ten foot piece of string and make a slip knot on one end and place it around the hole then when it poppped it’s head out we would pull the string and then walk it around like it was on a leash. LOL.

Metalhead and Knotcher like this.
  14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’m sorry, but you were doing what kind of fishing? o_O

15. speedluvn

Isn’t the OP, @Steeltoe deftly afraid of snakes and spiders? Carlton is not getting any where near, let alone, picking up a an aggressive ass reptile with a shell on his back.
    His man-card has been placed on “double secret probation”

16. motoracer1100

Panfish ... like bluegills , Sunfish, Red ear sunfish , and Pumpkinseed . You just proved you don’t fish :D

Metalhead and Steeltoe like this.
  17. speedluvn

Fishing would have been enough of a description.

18. motoracer1100

Which is exactly what Metalhead did .

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sounds like a great idea if you are into bestial watersports. :Puke:

Pass.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bream are tasty. Slabs are tastier!