1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 8, 2020.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I thought if you win a Jr Cup championship you're not eligible to race in it again. I thought Rocco was doing Redbull Rookies Cup this year. Also thought Brandon Paasch is doing Moto 2 class in BSB. Also thought Andrew Lee was doing the Superbike Cup thing....I'm so confused right now about what's going on.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That was my thought, too. I know the Twins Cup rules were modified to allow Rocco (or anyone who theoretically wins the JR Cup championship at 14) to race Twins as a 15 year old. SuperSport is 16.

There is no racing going on in Europe at the moment, hence no Rookies Cup. At least one of the Americans that had European ride came home in March, I'm sure many others did as well. Canadian Residents can come home, but I'm not sure how that works- I would guess Dumas isn't too concerned about going home between rounds.

The Superbike Cup still means you need to field a STK 1000 program, and qualify for the SBK races via the qualifying cutoff. Don't know what is happening with Andrew, but IMO this is the shot across the bow- the economy is in trouble and it's going to affect everyone. Sucks.

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

If that wall encircled Cook County (and Will and Dupage)! :crackup:

G 97 and 5axis like this.
  4. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Is Hayden G. planning on trying to run AFT then? I really liked his Man in the Van series he did with Cycle World.

Absolutely insane that Andrew Lee doesn't have a ride. Especially being former champ... Kawasaki's really decent STK1000 AND SBK purse seems to have almost no say on a big team trying to come in and run a ZX10R. Sure, there are definitely some 10R's on the SBK grid. However, I don't understand why Graves is spending time only working on a zx6r racing program? Richie is fast and should fair decent on that thing, but I don't see that bike on the podium at all... Hell Braydon Ortt hopped back onto his R6 and had his best finishes later in the season. The ZX6R is essentially the same bike it was in 2009 with little improvements. I think in WSS Puccetti is using 2013? frames with 09-12 engines. even Puccetti's 2019 body work was 09-12 with 19+ headlight stickers. lol (However, the zx6r is fairing better at the world level than at the US national level)

The ZX10r seems to be really making it happen in the STK1000 class. I dont see whats stopping a well established team like Graves pursuing a SBK program with a ZX10RR. The rule set allows for WSBK spec bikes but with Dunlops instead of the Pirelli's. I know tires can make a difference for sure.. But if WSBK switched to Dunlops for 2021, I bet we'd see Rae or Lowes on the box at Phillip Island..

Maybe tires are a bigger deal then that, and thats why the Suzuki's do really well here on Dunlops but are absent in WSBK and even BSB mostly.. (Bradley Ray was top Zuk in championship in 11th place)

For what it's worth i'm a big Kawasaki fan. lol The only bikes i'll ever own and race unless someone is dumb enough to give me a ride on something else for free.. I want them back in AMA/MotoA and its a god damn tease every time Graves makes posts about testing theirs..

That's my daily rant.

Senna likes this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

When KHI writes the check, Chuck will field a Kawi.. Until then, nope.

rd49, VFR#52 and Senna like this.
  6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Wisconsin has a tourist economy, can’t have that with out tourist . You can’t eat all the cheese and Brats you produce without outside help :D

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

And beer to wash it down

motoracer1100 likes this.
  8. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Well, I mean there's that too... lol

I was secretly hoping that Stanboli would switch over to Kawi again for some dumb reason... Those old blue and green Attack ZX10R and ZX6RR's were so awesome...

Enough with my tangent.. lol

9. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well, to be fair, they export a fuckload of that...

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I wish I could get some Ale Asylum Madtown Nutbrown down here in Virginia, but they don't export it out of WI.

13. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

There's at least 5 guys running Stock 1000 that are local guys that likely won't run anywhere else. Although I know of 2 or 3 running Supersport that are similar.

14. Gino230

SO as to Kawi not getting into SBK-

If you ever go to a MotoAmerica event, take a walk over to Parc Ferme after Superbike practice- those bikes are VERY different from a Stock 1000. In Stock 1000, you can't even use a manual cam chain tensioner or a captive brake caliper for wheel changes. And that's just what you can see with the naked eye. It's a whole different ball game!

15. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Ahh so they modified the rules for Twins class. That makes sense.

Sucks about Andrew Lee. Won the championship twice and can't get a decent ride. That's how you know this sport is far from booming :(

Gino230 likes this.
  16. Gino230

Some of the bigger JR Cup teams scaled way back- Quarterly used to show up with 4 bikes and a semi truck. I think they have one entry now.

The 108% qualifying cutoff for SS is brutal with the pace the front runners set. Look at VIR last year. Bob Fisher entered Supersport and rode his ass off to make the cutoff by a few 10ths. He then ran the twins cup race and ran as high as third before finishing 4th. You would have to be a VERY fast local to want to run SS with those animals.

What is the cutoff for STK1000? I think it's 110%

17. Gino230

Laguna Postponed till October.

Dammit California, I hope you go broke! Oh wait.....

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yea but that doesn’t seem that unusual for STK1000, twins, and supersport. 5 is probably on the high end for number of local guys doing a one-off but 2-3 doesn’t seem uncommon.

19. redtailracing

Yea but from what I remember, Lee was turning time that would’ve been very competitive in superbike last year. Maybe not quite podium but close enough it seems it wouldn’t have taken much to get there. Granted I know at that levels tenths of a second are measured in cubic dollars but still...

20. redtailracing

Oh gotcha. Didn’t realize the junior cup teams had scaled back so much although I guess that should evident given the entry list. And totally agree about SS if we’re talking about last year. But with the loss of guys like fong and Gillim, seems it would be more feasible this year. I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe even this thread) that Aguilar didn’t even intend to race this year until he saw who was racing (or more accurately, who wasn’t) and felt he had a better chance at being competitive. Granted I guess there are still a couple guys capable of setting a blistering pace like SDK, but still fewer than last year.

Gino230 likes this.