1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I am aware, I have taken a course that included firing in an enclosed room with ear protection and have felt the concussion. Not disputing that its significant but the fight or flight response has to come into play in this situation and deaden the senses to a point.

I would never use a 223/556 rifle as my primary emergency source of protection in my house. Barrel length, recoil and bullet penetration are not what I would consider residential friendly. Adding a suppressor only makes the gun longer and more difficult to maneuver.

Personal choice is a 9mm. I also have a 9mm PCC in the bedroom closet with a compatible magazine to the pistol. That gives me a total of 51 rounds from either firearm of 147g subsonic which is approximately 162db. We also have an alarm system with motion sensors and entry points that is set every night and battery backed up. Hopefully I will know if there is someone in the house. Our plan is to shelter in the bedroom on the opposite side of the bed from the door and call the police if the alarm system hasn't already. There is nothing in our house that is worth trying to hunt someone down. I would not go looking for trouble, rather let it come to me if they are so inclined. My intention is to never have to pull the trigger.

sbk1198 likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

well duh..who doesn't have a $500-1000 suppressor always mounted to their dedicated home defense AR? :rolleyes:

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'm contemplating a switch to an adjustable gas block for the AR pistol, as I'd like to shoot it suppressed and need to tune it so there's no FTEx / FTEj which usually results in the fired round and a new round trying to occupy the chamber. Un-suppressed, it works like a champ. Suppressed, it's a cock-up. Well, other than that first shot. :D

The MP5 clone isn't that gassy, actually. The suppressed AR seems to kick back more gas than the MP5, even suppressed.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I'm talking ideal setup here. Sure you can adjust accordingly based on your needs/budget/priorities. But you said yourself you have a suppressor. So let's just say you had an AR (which you have talked about getting), is it unreasonable to assume you could get a suppressor for it? And why would you ever take it off? Transportation? Easy enough to take on and off for range days. It takes a few seconds and I doubt you're traveling with it daily. I see no reason not to just leave your suppressor on the gun at home with the exception of a concealed carry pistol.

5. redtailracing

Gotcha. I’ve just shot one mp5 clone (admittedly it was fairly cheaply built) and man that thing would gas you out in less than 10 rounds. It was rough.

So you’re saying that shooting suppressed results in the below situation? :D (Your post reminded me of this picture and it always cracks me up) 4BDAEC28-A21D-461B-A763-DD563297EC46.jpeg

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. Tristan

You're thinking of someone else- I don't have a suppressor and have no plans to get one. If I were going to get something besides my handguns for home use it'd probably be a .410 shotgun

7. redtailracing

Ah you are correct sir. The post you quoted originally was in response to someone else talking about their suppressor. Didn't realize it was someone different responding.

But my point still stands, my comment is geared towards someone looking for the most ideal, efficient home defense weapon. Obviously not everyone is going to build a complete suppressed AR for home defense. I'm just sharing my opinion on the most ideal setup. If that's not feasible for you or not the direction you want to go, by all means, you do you.

8. Jedb

Yeah, it's a lot like that picture.
    The other one I get is that the ejecting shell comes all the way back, turns 90degrees out, but the primer part stays in the chamber and pushes up the next round, thus being a blocker to the Boltcarrier group sitting flush with the next round.

BGC-|FTEj|NewRound with the FTEj being at 90 degrees with the primer part in the chamber.
    I need to get that adjustable gas block :D

9. redtailracing

I feel like that whole paragraph could’ve been summed up with the word “stovepipe”:crackup:

10. Jedb

:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

:D

11. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's basically the concept of a flash-bang. Instant loud noise and bright light to disorient someone. Fire a gun next to someone's ear and it'll have a similar effect (don't try that at home...or anywhere...)

12. sbk1198

Hahahaha...took me a couple of seconds to realize what's going on in that pic and what that has to do with Brazzers lol

13. sbk1198

The only suppressor I have is for my Beretta 92A1. It's a cheapo Form 1 type. When I got it, the gun wouldn't cycle at all. Supposedly with that style of barrel that doesn't move up/down, like the Beretta has, you don't need a booster, and my suppressor doesn't have one anyway. Changing the recoil spring to a lighter spring made it work like a champ, but now it doesn't cycle when it's unsuppressed. So that gun is definitely not gonna be my choice for home defense, since it's so finicky and always have to take it apart and change the spring and guide rod every time I want to run it suppressed or unsuppressed. Kind of a PITA, but it's fun to shoot...and the suppressor was cheap.

14. sbk1198

New foam layer for the case to fit the most recent addition. I knew geometry and playing Tetris would come in handy later on in life! :D

RPR and AR556 in case.jpg

Razr and fastfreddie like this.
  15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

anyone have an Eotech they are wanting to move ?

16. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

So true. Being at the range where people next to me are firing 556s and other formidable guns, the blast from those guns are small concussion bombs in their own right.

17. Tristan

So it begins... Ordered an AR kit from PSA, traditional 16" 5.56 in fde

Steeltoe and Photo like this.
  18. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Trust me it won't be your last!

19. Jedb

Steak Travis likes this.
  20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Which one did you order? I've been interested in getting one.