1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Two thoughts:
    1. Suppressed subs is where it's at muh dude
    2. Hope you hit your first shot with that shotty because if your assailant is armed or, as you said, if there are two of them, there's a decent chance you're not getting a second shot off.

2. redtailracing

I half agree. Pistol probably shouldn't be your first AR (assuming you don't have prior mil/leo experience), but not because it's difficult to manage. Granted I realize that's all just a matter of opinion and perspective. But my buddy's mk18 (arguably the most notoriously overgassed AR on the planet) is only 10.3" and is still plenty easy to shoot. My wife doesn't even mind it and she hates recoil. And muzzle device likely has a larger impact on concussion than barrel length. But I do think a pistol has to be much more personal and you need to figure out what you like before building one. Most decent 16"-18" ARs will feel, handle, and shoot about the same, not so much with pistols. Pistols have more factors with larger impact - barrel length, type of brace, gas system length, muzzle device. Just my .02

3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Yes dont get a pistol :)

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If you are going to run suppressed sub-sonic 5.56, go test and make sure your rifle cycles reliably, especially if you are running an AR Pistol. Test, Test, Test!!

Then again, might as well just do it right. :D

MP5b.jpg

gy999r, Steeltoe, sanee and 1 other person like this.
  5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I can fire ALL of my shotgun rounds way quicker than I can put the suppressor on my pistol, which is stashed away in my gun case lol Damn thing takes forever to thread on. But I do have 147g subsonic ammo in my carry pistol which sits by my bed. I have not shot that without ear protection to see how loud it would be but I expect it's pretty damn loud still.

6. sbk1198

That's what's up right there! Is it an H&K or what brand?

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yes, first AR. What I have now is a S+W Shield 9, a Rossi RS22 rifle, a GSG 1911-22 and an old pocket .25. They're all basically range toys honestly, so I'll go with a 16 in. rifle. Got a friend who's offered to build me one, just need to get together and try to keep him from talking me into some $1500 build.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I really am trying to contain myself that there is discussion about the loudness of a gun when you have to use it in an emergency situation. The only time I would ever discharge a weapon at anytime away from a gun range or while hunting is assuming that someones life is in imminent danger. The repercussions of discharging a weapon at anyone are going to be huge! The last thing to worry about is whether or not it's loud. The only thought in your head should be: I have absolutely no other choice than to pull this trigger.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has said that they would not use it because they didn't want to hurt their ears in an emergency. But you can certainly take measures to reduce the negative affects. Simple fact that you may need to actually be able to hear what your family is saying to you or be able to communicate to a first responder who will be arriving on scene basically blind to the situation. None of this matters if you are dead, but that doesn't mean you might not want to consider it if you really want to go down the rabbit hole of having a personal defense strategy.

sanee and sbk1198 like this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I never mentioned that they wouldn't use it due to that nor did I ever see that anyone else did, just not a consideration IMHO in that situation.

12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Pakistani Ordnance Firearms (POF). LINK
    It's the MP-5 pistol, and originally had the swivel end-cap. I added the brace.
    Suppressor is an AAC Ti-Rant 9mm.

Contemplating adding the Franklin Armory Binary trigger.

sbk1198 likes this.
  13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

It's all a "what if", you mentioned it's not a consideration under the immediate circumstances of defending yourself, which I don't disagree with. But it could be a consideration when deciding your setup prior to the circumstances, which is what the comments were about.

redtailracing likes this.
  14. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

I have a rugged obsidian 45 in ATF jail, using that for my G45 and my 300BO. Looking to find another sutied for a 5.56 10.3 barrel pistol. I looked at the Rugged Micron 30 and the surefire socom556 rc2. Any recommendations?

15. sbk1198

Exactly. Which is why I'm considering NOW, when there is no imminent danger, knowing that it certainly wouldn't even be a thought in my mind in an emergency situation. Thinking about ways to mitigate sound now, might be helpful in case of an emergency. I don't think a lot of people realize the consequences of having some extremely loud noises inside a room. It's not just a "oh it's loud but I've been to rock concerts before, so won't be that bad"....inner ears are responsible for balance. Depending on the type of firearm, after that first shot, you may actually lose balance and focus, get disorientated and then you're going to be pretty useless after that if you haven't stopped that imminent danger right away. It's not like the movies show.

16. sbk1198

Daniel Defense makes a pretty nice suppressor for 5.56.

17. redtailracing

You definitely gotta figure out your buffer and gas setups to run subs. But plenty feasible, just requires a bit more niche setup.

Nice sub gun!:clap: How gassy is she?

18. redtailracing

Oh I'm saying all this assuming you have a dedicated home defense weapon with suppressor always mounted. And yea subs unsuppressed are still gonna be pretty damn loud indoors.

sbk1198 likes this.
  19. redtailracing

I kind of understand the thought process. I just think people overemphasize it sometimes. For sure if you have to pull the trigger in self defense the last thing you're worried about it noise. That said, there are a couple scenarios that could be worth just being prepared for. For example, I have a 1 year old in the house and the house is rather modest (approx. 1600 sq. ft.) so multiple shots out of a rifle in the house could do serious long term damage to his hearing. If I can run suppressed subs, accomplish the same self defense goals with equal efficiency, and not risk long term damage to his hearing, I see no reason not to.

My other thought is a bit more abstract and not something I've actually seen any professionals address directly so I could be way off in my line of thinking so bear with me. Many professionals who provide CQB/home defense training emphasize using all of the senses at your disposal. In my mind, if I just blew my eardrums engaging the first target, I may not hear the second intruder around the corner. Now I'm entirely dependent on my sight and additional intruders that have hidden have the advantage of knowing roughly where I am while I have less senses to determine where they are or if there even are anymore or if it was just one guy. Probably a highly unlikely situation and pretty far out there in the realm of possibilities. But like I said above, if you can be better prepared running quieter stuff with no real penalty to efficiency, I see no reason not to.

20. redtailracing

Didn't even think about the inner ear thing but absolutely worth consideration. A combination of serious ear infections in my youth and a couple blown ear drums in my teens has left me with severe susceptibility to motion sickness. It's a very real thing.