1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

This rifle was my gateway drug! It was my first AR over 2000 rounds ago and it still goes to the range every time I go. It was a great price point and I've been able to accessorize it and figure out what I did with later builds.

2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

That's a good description. I gather it's not banned in your state. :(

3. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Not in SC. We get issued weapons in middle school.

4. DmanSlam

That's a little late in life, ain't it? :D:D

MachineR1 and fastfreddie like this.
  5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I just sold mine last week. Ruger AR556 Magpul edition, with a red dot sight and magnifier on it. Can't remember if it was here or the thread you started that I posted a picture of it. Probably here a few pages ago. All of that could've been yours for $700!

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just got a Sig-P229 slide/barrel in .357Sig and 25magazines as a package.
    I've never bothered to look into the ballistics on .357Sig, as I've ordered a .40cal barrel for the slide and the magazines that came with the package house both.

Why was the .357Sig developed? It's a necked down .40cal with a 9mm projectile. What am I missing on this round?

Steeltoe and SpeedyE like this.
  7. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I had a P229/40, competed w/ it w/ Lawman full-power ammo, carried it, etc.....top heavy, and a Boomstick.
    Best thing I ever did was graft a liteweight 9mm M6 slide/bbl/ramp onto it, and ran M11A1 mags....changed the handling characteristics completely, super fast w no muzzle flip and carried more rounds. The weight savings of the slide/bbl was in all the right places....felt like a dif gun.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Jedb likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Cuz no one bothers to clean the carbon out from underneath 'em. The carbon builds up and gives the extractor nowhere to go, so the pin breaks. It might be a few thousand rounds or more, but there comes a time when every weapon needs to be fully disassembled, fully cleaned, fully inspected, fully lubed then fully loaded, again. ;)

In the mean time...I swab my barrels before every outing, run 'em 'til they hang up, spray some lube here and there if they do, wash/rinse/repeat. When/if things break, it's usually simple and due to too infrequent of a full cleaning or too much lube that allows the carbon to build up sooner, which means it was too infrequent of a full cleaning, which means you should have your shit coated. :crackup:

To answer the "coating" question, little to no lube necessary. It's cleaner, slicker and more tolerant of a lack of full maintenance. Carbon blows away. Run 'em dry. I'm sure there's a down side but, if it's just money, that beats failure when you need it to function...ten dollar head, ten dollar helmet.

Consider chrome chambers and bores. Really durable and corrosion resistant, but not as accurate as a plain barrel. Can't hone the chrome and plating doesn't leave a precision surface...not when a bullet is rotating at 120,000rpm. Now if someone starts exploding NikaSil wires or some other whiz-bang material in the bores, we may keep or improve the durability, corrosion resistance AND accuracy.
    "Yo! Millennium Technologies! You listening?" :D

9. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

When I owned a very successful company manufacturing custom 4140 barrels, mostly assault rifle and submachinegun bbls, I decided on nitride, for whatever reasons made sense to me, at the time.
    Was driving trunkloads of them into some small shitkicker town in Arkansas for drop-off/pick-up (Nitriding). I am WERA, I drive Fast.
    Get pulled over by some local yahoo's in no mans land, in a late-model totally Blacked out 4-door BMW turbo w/ super wide M6 rims & outta state plates, at highspeed on some back/straight levee road. I climb out in a Black/Red Starter zipper sweatsuit, w red old school Pumas, clean shaven w a faux hawk.
    They thinking DugDlr. They want in that trunk, lol. Pop it...."whats that' ""Trunk full of assault rifle barrels Sirs....headed for XXXX-Company for nitride, I mean blueing""
    Ohhhhhhhh....cooool.....heres your ticket, have a nice day.
    Probably not as funny to tell, as it was while it was happeneing.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. DmanSlam

FARK!!

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

All good info, although I prefer to run mine pretty wet. But as far as carbon blowing away versus sticking - I clean mine religiously. I realize it's not really necessary but I find it therapeutic. And it gives me the confidence to know my shit will always work flawlessly, not necessarily because it's squeaky clean but because I've inspected it.

As far as my previous post regarding different BCGs vs. cost, I was just pointing out what companies do that increases cost. Like I said, I don't necessarily believe the extreme ends are necessary. But I do believe better than bottom end is preferable. And even if specs, tolerances, etc. are all the same, there are differences in the quality control of the manufacturing processes such as temperature fluctuations during heat treating, x-ray analysis, etc. I've actually had a brand new bolt carrier split in half within about 50 rounds due to what I suspect to be faults in these controls. The manufacturer effectively confirmed as much.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I don't think I have any special coatings on my guns...unless we want to count CeraKote and/or Electroless nickel plating.
    I've played with all kinds of ways to lube things, how much, what, where, etc. For the most part, I've found that most any lube will suffice and some things you absolutely do not lube...like gas rings. If it came down to it, I'd spit on a gun to get it to run. :D

I hear ya on keeping 'em clean. I don't like the idea that something gritty may end up somewhere cycling back-n-forth, but I don't drag guns through the dirt so I'm kinda lax about cleaning after every shoot.
    (I can hear someone's Grandpa screamin' in their grave. :oops:)

What really pisses me off tho', is unnecessary/avoidable scratches, marrs, dings and/or discolorations...that is on me and I have only myself to kick.
    I did, however, have a former-Marine buddy ask to look at the BCG on my pre-ban AR one day when it was acting up. He pulled out a Leatherman and proceeded to put metal-to-metal to push my takedown pin and I_fucking_flipped, pulled the weapon from his hand and promptly informed him that no tools have ever touched this weapon. My AR has uncounted thousands of rounds through it and not one scratch since I bought it new in '93(?) and he was about to molest it like any other piece in an armory? No. Just no.
    Does it look new? Hell, no. The metal is so patina-ed it damn near looks green and the stock looks like dark, polished concrete. The only thing still black is the handguard...ironically, it has two rust-colored stains of unknown origin, prolly used a "rest of convenience" that left a mark. :rolleyes: My 1911 has a resting mark, too, <sigh> and it has pretty much the same history as the AR in age and round count. Bums me out cuz they are both otherwise flawless, with the exception of time-worn use which, to me, makes them all the more aesthetically pleasing.

Geezus, I gotta shut up. It's like I'm starting to wax nostalgic about old girlfriends. I really like my guns, tho'. They're like my Ducati...old and flawless. Reminds me, I referred to my Duc as the Mighty MachineGun Ducati when I raced it. That thing was bad-ass. Sounded like...
    FRED! STFU ALREADY! :crackup:

SpeedyE and sbk1198 like this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Not when it took him till he was 27 to graduate high school!

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Anyone done USPSA? There looks to be a couple matches coming up depending on COVID. It looks like a fun way to show paper who's boss. How many rounds do you typically shoot? Trying to see if I need more ammo

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

lots of fun. Compared to two or three gun it’s so simple in that one range bag and a few boxes of ammo does it. I’m thinking I usually have about 300 rounds on hand even though round count is around 140? . I load six mags before I get there and have a few boxes in the bag. They’ll be paper and steel targets usually. At my range to shoot uspsa we had to take a short class

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's a blast. They'll be very kind with a new shooter and literally walk you through it. At my old range two courses (Wednesday night casual shoots) went through about 70 to 80 rounds. I ran 3 mags for each course. Qualifier matches had 5 courses and ate ammo.

Steak Travis likes this.
  17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

what I suspected, thanks

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

At least you weren't wearing white sneakers :D

SpeedyE likes this.