1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

25ème CLASSIC BIKES CHIMAY

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Robin172, May 7, 2020.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Some pics I took at the 25th Classic Bike Races at Chimay in Belgium in July 2018.

Start/Finish Straight
    IMGP7045.JPG

Triumph 750-3
    IMGP7063.jpg

Marc Beltman, very fast and was super excited to win.
    IMGP7112.jpg

Beltman, Thomas George, Bruno Bazinkay
    IMGP7116.jpg

Jimmy Lafineur
    IMGP7127.jpg

Keith Shannon
    IMGP7131.jpg

Michel Mourman/Sebastian Seret
    IMGP7149.jpg

The Belgian countryside.

IMGP7156.jpg

2. Robin172

When the roads are closed and your house is in the middle of the circuit, what do Belgians do?....they turn it into a bar for the weekend.

IMGP7164.jpg

Jan Franck Bakker, Clive Ling, Marc Beltman. Unfortunately, the following weekend Clive Ling was killed while competing in a different event at Chimay.
    IMGP7177.jpg

The passenger in this one is a bloke who used to live on the same street as me, went to the same school and the last time I'd seen him was outside a pub in 1977, small world.
    IMGP7182.jpg

Racing on the roads
    IMGP7185.jpg

3. Robin172

Werner Tobias
    IMGP7197.JPG

Alex Sinclair on a ridiculously fast 500cc Vincent.
    IMGP7198.JPG

Runck Thilman
    IMGP7202.JPG

Will Loder
    IMGP7232.JPG

Entering the final corner.
    IMGP7256.jpg

Exiting the final corner.
    IMGP7269.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Banditracer and BlueR32 like this.
  4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Ok...wait...wait, you expect us to believe you were OUTSIDE a pub in 1977????:Poke:

Nice shots Scudder, thanx for sharing.

How come you dont go run some of those races?

5. Robin172

Yep, sitting outside The Kings Arms on one of those rare warm August nights.

The idea was initially to race in 2018 on a bike provided by my brother, unfortunately he still hasn't got it finished. I think starting to rebuild two 50 year old bikes from various parts and deciding to build a house 100+ miles from his home was not the best thing to try to do at the same time.

Oh, and I raced on the roads in Belgium several times in the 90's.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

And I always feel accomplished racing at mosport. Damn y'all.

7. Robin172

The circuit I raced at in Belgium and another in France were closer to where I lived in England than nearly all the tracks I've raced at here are to me now.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

It's like every state having 2 or 3 tracks! I think of all the tracks in England. Crazy.

9. ravedoper

ravedoper Well-Known Member

Will Loder is on a Greeves Silverstone? Was it his dad who died at the Classic Manx in 2005?

10. Robin172

Yes it's a Silverstone, it's a brace of them that my brother is building. It was his father Jon who died at the Manx. I helped out a friend at the Manx in 1979 and the Loders were camped next to us in the paddock I don't know if Will was one of the small children they had with them or came later.

11. ravedoper

ravedoper Well-Known Member

John Loder died about a mile down the circuit (the 32nd milestone?)and 10 minutes after I crashed at Windy Corner during a part wet/part dry practice. He was the 2nd or 3rd of 5 very experienced, respected Classic competitors to die that year in the MGP fortnight. According to the iomtt data base, he had competed in 44 MGPs the first being '79 when he was camped next to you in the paddock.. He finished 3rd in the Newcomers Senior. 2005 was the last year that I raced there.