1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Apr 24, 2020.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Haha.:moon:

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Yeah was just gonna ask you that. :D

I have a pair of D300's and a D70. D70 was my 1st DSLR I got new in 2004 right after it came out. The D300's do everything I need them to.

3. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Have me come to a race, I'll take good ones

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

So for those you're going to want two lenses.
    Portraits you want fast glass, something in the 1.4 or 1.8 aperture range. And 50 to 85mm.
    Sports especially bikes you'll want a lens that is a zoom from 100-400mm or probably even 150-600mm the aperture doesn't matter as much for sports especially starting so something in the f4/ f5.6 range should do

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  5. assjuice cyrus

Is now the time to update the body? Would a body that does faster fps be worth the investment?

6. assjuice cyrus

Come on buddy. I'll pay your way in and slap you on your ass just cause I haven't seen you in awhile.

vfrket likes this.
  7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

This was me (D80) until I went to the D810. Superior upgrade. My D80 just died so I don't have the second body for multiple lens shooting trips. I'm looking to upgrade the D810 pretty soon but am also considering getting the Nikkor 500mm f5.6 lens. The lens will probably win out in the budget battle.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Except the nifty 50 which is a bargain. The fixed 100 is nice also. I have the 50mm F1.2 for my mirrorless. Pricey but you can stop anything with it. Of course its ability exceeds mine :(

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Funny that I used to shoot races with manual lenses, manual cameras and got stuff published. :D

Robin172, noles19 and sheepofblue like this.
  10. noles19

It's not a bad time.. how serious is she about it?

11. assjuice cyrus

She takes alot pictures of the kids. So pretty serious I'd say.

12. noles19

What's your budget?

13. assjuice cyrus

1k or so give or take

14. assjuice cyrus

Ehh. 1k to 2k maybe?

15. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the Nikon line. I've always used Canon, but it doesn't really matter.

Sub 1k, stick to the Rebel line.

If you're ok with buying used stuff (refurbished) something like the 70 or 80D with a used 17-55 F2.8 and a 70-200 F4L IS would run right up to 2k. Those lenses are keepers that she'll never grow past, they're both fantastic and will cover 90% of all shooting needs. The body will eventually get replaced, but either of those two will feel like a cosmic leap forward compared to a T2.

Whatever the Nikon equivalent models are, are just as good.

16. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

I have a T3i and have been researching new bodies for a while now but all the feedback is to get better glass. I've been using a cheap 18-250mm sigma variable aperture lens, just bought the sigma 70-200mm sport lens (almost half the price of Canon 70-200) and it's a world a difference in image quality.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

17. assjuice cyrus

If she should stick with the rebel line at sub 1k. Then wouldn't it be smart to keep the one she has and just get good glass?

18. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

If she's happy with the body, then yes.

Does she already have an idea in her head of what the final image should look like before she pushes the shutter button, or is she just taking pictures?
    Is the camera body making it difficult to get the image she wants?
    If she can reliably get the images she's looking to get now, there's really no reason to buy a new body.

As an example, I might want to take a photo during sunset time (better light, but tougher on autofocus) of a bike going around a corner from the left to right side of the image, with the background blurred but rider in focus and the rider in the left 1/3 of the frame so that the picture shows a sense of speed and direction. I'd have auto focus, fps, and image stabilization desires that would make that image easier to make.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I ended up with the D500 because it was being replaced by something new and even if it lacks a flash (didn't care about that) it did everything I thought I wanted it to. Plus I had a few pieces of glass and didn't want to start completely over by switching to Canon.

I got my D80 slightly wet (didn't wrap it) and it was acting up a bit. Still works more then well enough and I was going to give it to the kid as a hobby but she has no interest (my iphone has a camera :rolleyes: ).
    When I can I'll just bring both bodies with the lens that works best with that body.

I'm flirting with that Nikkor 200 - 500 AF-S lens.

20. assjuice cyrus

She like these two lenses?

Attached Files: