1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Apr 24, 2020.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

wife has a t2i and lens motor took a crap. Thinking about upgrading camera also is the new ones worth upgrading and which would be a good one.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What are you looking to spend?

How many lenses does she have? I'd think you'd want one to be compatible with the lenses you have so you won't lose that investment as well.

Sorry your camera died. I think mine is a T2i as well, and I love that thing. Obviously not the top of the line Canon, but it's taken great photos for me.

noles19 and XFBO like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Like Darrin asked, how many lens you got?

I used an older Nikon D80 forever and was just getting a good handle on it but wanted "more" so I added a D50. Holy f@ck, it was like going from an F15 to trying to fly a UFO. It's so far above me that I'll be a chump with it for a few more years. Was it worth upgrading? I still use the D80 some of the time but yeah, even if it's way better then I am with it.

5. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Camera bodies don't make a big difference. I have a T3i and the quality and sharpness is on par than my 7D Mark 2. I probably need to AFMA my lenses to that camera though. Compared to my 5D Mark 3 it's on par sharpness wise, not a huge difference. There are some features that are nice to have on the more expensive cameras and full frame cameras do perform much better in low light. For the average guy, just get another Rebel T...whatever and spend your money on good glass if you really want to see improvements. Can't beat the 1.8 50mm for portraits and low light stuff for the money. 55-250 is an incredible telephoto lens for the money. (for outdoor stuff)

6. assjuice cyrus

I think she has just 2 lens. 18-55
    And
    55-250.

But she wants to get a good lens for the boy when he's racing. So I need one of those also. So do I just get a good lens for the t2i or upgrade camera and lens?

7. StaccatoFan

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the lens broke or the body broke? both lenses dont work?

the original 18-55 lens is garbage. im not surprised if one broke.

she'll want better glass anyway. IMO, start there first. +1 to a 50mm prime. I bought the 1.8, then returned it for the 1.4.

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. A better body gets faster and better focus. A better body can get you more pixels and/or the ability to shoot more frames per second.

What kind of budget does the OP have?

noles19 likes this.
  10. USracer900

For fast action like racing (motorcycle racing I presume?) look for a used 7D MK2. You need that fast FPS (frames per second), it really makes a difference in getting "the shot". Your T2i is slow, around 3FPS. 7D is 10 FPS IIRC. So basically it will take 10 pictures in one second. Sounds like a machine gun when you are shooting. Combine with a good (ie: fast) compact flash card and shoot in JPEG, you can rack up some shots pretty quickly.

11. assjuice cyrus

She thinks just lens broke.

She was looking a 70/200mm
    Zoom lens

12. USracer900

For most shooting it doesn't matter and most is just marketing hype. I've been down this road, shoot weddings, sports etc. Some features are nice to have but for the average joe they will just put it in Auto and take a few shots of their kids etc. If you're really getting into it, yeah maybe spend the money but the law of diminishing returns apply in a big way!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. USracer900

70-200 is a badass lens but $$$. Is she looking at the F4 or 2.8? IS or no IS? Makes a big difference in price. If she doesn't know what any of this stuff is, save the money and stick with the 55-250. She will never notice the difference.

14. assjuice cyrus

F4L usm telephoto lens

15. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Hey fucker...What's she shooting? Did she point it at you and the lens broke?

j cal, vfrket and assjuice cyrus like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Most useful lens I have is a Nikkor 18 - 135. I've just left it on the D80 and I find almost no reason to swap it out.

17. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Biggest difference in bodies is going from Crop sensor to a Full sensor DSLR. It makes a huge difference in low light photography, and it trickles down to everything else.

That said, a good lens is the key. A fast zoom lens with a fixed aperture is going to cost you some $$$, but what a difference compared to a kit zoom garbage lens that kits come with.

It all depends on what you want to spend.

18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

D90 here, and though it's only 12.3 megapixels, with the right lens it still makes some really crisp shots. That being said, the low light performance is really pushing me to a full sensor body. Talking about lens specs needs to include ALL of the specs. I'm still pretty inexperienced, but I learned the hard way that the lens size doesn't mean much if it's slow or low quality glass. Bought what I thought was going to be a good 300mm zoom (forget the low range), but didn't understand that at $450, it was going to be a piece of crap. "But it's 300mm!" I would have pretty harsh words with the 'me' that was considering that lens. I literally never shoot with it, because it's not capable of a decent picture. Considering how bad my eyesight is getting, that's pretty telling. If it's a cheap lens, it's a 'cheap' lens.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oops. My new one is a D500 not a D50.

20. assjuice cyrus

Wife said she wants to do action shots while the boy is on the track, and portraits of the kids and family. So, I'm sure she will need more then one lens?