1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyson

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Apr 14, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, he came to Wharton as a guest lecturer for a couple of hours. During the Q&A session, one student asked him about Mike Tyson. He did not have a single word of friendship or compassion for a guy who puts so much money into his pockets. I never forgot the first few words of his answer: "Mike Tyson is in prison because of monkey business on the part of Mike Tyson." My thinking at that point was that this couldn't be the only place where he has shown no support for Tyson, so there was no way Tyson was not aware of it. I figured if he had any self-respect, he would never be involved with King again. I guess money trumps pride.
    I really think that the turning point that made him a pop culture icon was The Hangover. People saw him in a whole new light. Including a whole generation that was too young when grown men who spent their whole lives trying to fight feared him.

Scotty87 likes this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

True.....and I even see a pun there.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Considering he was in prison for rape, and your quote makes it seem like he was speaking during the time he was actually incarcerated, maybe a bit of politics on King's end distancing himself.

However, I don't doubt that money is the ultimate driving force behind the King machine.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Legend.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's exactly my problem with him. Us outsiders could legitimately talk all the shit we wanted about Tyson being a violent criminal. King should have showed some loyalty. Like I said, not one word.

I could have respected that stance if he never did business with Mike Tyson again.

Scotty87 and tl1098 like this.
  6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

So does Metalhead. Unspeakable stuff.

pickled egg likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Ali and Tyson I see as the two greatest fighters of the last century.

Ali was the most cerebral artist in and out of the ring ever. He got into his opponents heads, setup household, didn't pay rent, and never got evicted. Once he was in there, he was the landlord. He had the skill to back up the trash talk...but, he invented trash talk. He was the master of exposing his opponents weaknesses, and taking advantage of the opportunities they created. A masterful counter-puncher. Also a hero to Society. Some pseudo SJW's get compared to Ali....not even close.

Tyson just let his skill do all the talking. No Rope-A-Dope for Mike. Just fast hands, quick feet, lots of evasive movement, and absolutely brutal power. Opponents had to train to
    try to defend against his strengths. Intimidation was also his game....no robe....just a towel with a hole in it over his head..cause this shit wasn't going to take long...no reason to
    spend the money on a robe for a 60 second effort, right? Raw talent refined to a fine edge of surgical skill. Too bad Cus died. When his guiding force left this world, it was never the same. There's NO way a Buster Douglas beats a prepared and focused Mike Tyson. That's 30 seconds and over.

Wingnut, tl1098 and Sabre699 like this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Saw an interview with him and his wife a few years back. He spoke of the support and positive influence she had on his life. I'm glad he finally has that.

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No doubt. That gif is D'Amato's style executed perfectly. Awesome head movement and everything that connects lands on his gloves. He's moving like he's just working drills in the gym. Fucking beautiful.

Scotty87 likes this.
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bermane Stiverne shares the style but I'm not sure who trained him. He doesn't quite have Mike's head movement but he did get the belt.

11. rwdfun

rwdfun

Would this be considered good technique
    [​IMG]

I would say yes because it often resulted in this
    [​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Weird how they both went and changed their shorts at halftime... or the 7th inning stretch... or whenever...:Poke:

13. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

The Hangover had nothing to do with seeing him in a different light or made him a pop icon. Its just a younger generation sees him differently then the hot head and sexual predator he was in his hay day. He constantly was arrested for beating the shit out of parking attendants, security guards, other petty crimes etc... and also for sexual assaults varying from groping in private/ public to full on rapes of multiple women . Therefore all the people that used him to make their fortunes, spent a lot of their time and lost money in their pockets to make that stuff go away or to minimize the damage which in turn got them involved in his bullshit. People tend not to like people who mess up a good thing especially money they get from those people.

You ask anyone in general that was born in the 80’s to present and the response you’ll get is “Mike Tyson” is that ex boxer with the funny speech impediment, who bit a dudes ear off and has a tribal face tattoo that’s about it.

Same kind of crap story with R. Kelly, Kobe Bryant etc...

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

YOU QUIT WRITING NON-REVISIONIST HISTORY, YOU!!!!! We can't handle the truth, donchaknow.

JBowen33 likes this.
  15. JBowen33

:crackup::flag:

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Ignoring for a minute that your post is full of exaggerations, you’re right. Tyson had his issues, but who you are doesn’t have to be who you become.

I don’t want to live in a world where there’s no road to redemption and people are judged only by their past.

Metalhead likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Reading comprehension. Try it. That younger generation sees him differently because they know him as the funny ex-fighter in the Hangover movie. They were too young when he was mostly known for his fighting career and brushes with the law outside the ring.

I never said that those of us are old enough to have followed that stuff follow that stuff forgot it.

18. JBowen33

Really? I guess the 38 documented arrests for the things I stated I just made up lol

19. JBowen33

Since you are telling me about reading comprehension maybe you should try it. My post simply explained the younger generation does not know him for his illegal activity, his temper or even his fighting record statistics. His popularity is higher then back in the earlier 2000’s because of the lisp and peculiar incidents he took place in like biting the guys ear off during his fighting career. People forgot about what kind of person he was. He’s the last “popular” boxer behind Mayweather

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Aww you’re precious.