1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Isn't that how it works, using statistics to predict what will happen.

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Well, the Finland /Sweden situation is pretty interesting and is about the only data we could use, whatever side of the debate you may be....

3. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Who are you talking about? Please quote their “disappointment”.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

In good news, Harvey Weinstein successfully defeated the Wuhan Flu, and is now in solitary confinement on suicide watch.

A prudent use of medical resources if I’ve ever heard of one...

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

There is little use in rattling an empty paint can..... :D

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Proof? You want proof of it's introduction? Well, the "absolutist" will state that it can't be proven with certainty just as it can't be proven that the sun will come up tomorrow. The statistician will be satisfied with the multitude of data. Statistics is the basis for everything from quantum mechanics to crowd sourcing. With the data available we know quite well where this scourge originated and how it was spread, to where and when.

tony 340 likes this.
  7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Over the years I've been so gratuitously wrong about so many things the only thing I'm certain of anymore is that I'd be well served to keep my yap shut.

That being said, I can't help agreeing with this. The only way to really know is to conduct the experiment. Sweden's refusal to shut things down to the extent everyone else is provides us with a control group. It can well be said that the rest of us are conducting the experiment, because to my knowledge this is the first time ever in the history of human interaction that this level of isolation has been attempted in an effort to arrest the spread of a contagion.

I have little doubt that social distancing has resulted in slowing the spread of the virus. The question is, "Is that a good thing?" The answer may seem obvious but complex issues like this have a way of being ... complex.

It can be argued that the sooner we develop a herd immunity to the virus the better off we'll be in the long run. It can also be argued that this virus mutates quickly enough that herd immunity may not be achievable. It can also be argued that if we don't get our asses back to work soon the possibility of dying of Corona will be the least of our worries as starving hordes begin pillaging homes for food and toilet paper, degenerating society into something resembling the post-apocalyptic depictions of many movies.

Is social distancing making things better? Or are we just ripping the bandage off real slow?

An obvious takeaway from all of this is a realization of just how vulnerable to disease we really are. The overtaxed EMS, medical facilities and staff in New York give us reason to consider ways to be better prepared for this sort of thing in the future. And there will be a future - the vast majority of people who are exposed to the virus survive without requiring extraordinary medical attention.

So let's say we've hit the peak and we're starting to come down the other side, as the projections at covid19.healthdata.org indicate. What now? Do we start firing the economy back up? Have we simply delayed the inevitable with all the social distancing? Is the virus going to spread to nearly everyone eventually anyway? Can we honestly survive on lockdown conditions like this for 60 more days?

I don't have any answers to any of these questions, and nobody else seems to either. Like it or not we're too deeply invested in this social distancing experiment to abandon it now. If Sweden survives without taking the draconian measures everyone around them did, what does that tell us?

Not much here but a bunch of hot air, questions and rambling thoughts. By all means, carry on with the heated debate. I also have a hard time not watching train wrecks.

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

In think we have 5 states that haven't clamped down.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yeah. Me too. An exercise in futility. :D

A man who acknowledges the gravity of the situation. A rare find indeed.

And now we start getting into the meat ‘n’ taters of it. NYC’s problems are NYC’s problems, not Eustace and Muriel Bagge from The Middle of Nowhere’s.

Of course we’ve delayed the inevitable. Yes, everyone will eventually get exposed and deal with the virus. It will be seasonal like all the other nasties out there and we’ll add one more invisible threat to our health to the endless list of invisible threats to our health.

Uhh, no. I don’t subscribe to the sunken cost fallacy. If your boat is taking on water, stop drilling holes in it.

That the microcosm that is Sweden survived, just like the rest of us will survive, with the exception of the statistically insignificant number of casualties suffering from a litany or health issues whose cumulative weight caused the organism to die.

Hey, I for one appreciated it. Though there might be a little singeing around your asbestos helmet ;)

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Apropos that you used the word "sick" there.

Since we have no idea who is sick, with what, or how many people have, or have had the beerSARS, that makes death pretty much the only useful measuring stick for how bad the situation was, is, and will be.

We didn't ask for this measuring stick, but it's the only on we have.

So, to answer your question, if ""enough"" people don't die, one side of this argument looks pretty weak. But at least they can fall back on the built in excuse of ""We saved you bt destroying the global economy!!! You should thank us!!""

G 97 likes this.
  11. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

How??!!?? That disgusting tub of shit is the very PICTURE of preexisting conditions and comorbidities!!! (I'm sorry to offend the word 'shit' like that, but I haven't got time for a thesaurus.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

What statistics are they using? Certainly not accurate ones. :Poke:

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

We have always been vulnerable to diseases, always. This shouldn’t change anything. Some are more vulnerable than others as a result of hygiene practices, lifestyle choices, general health etc. Non of this changes because of Covid-19. Making any more association to Covid-19 in this area above other diseases is being simplistic.

Do you mean the NY medical system that Cuomo has repeatedly stated has provided every level of required critical treatment and or care to each and everyone person who has needed it. This doesn’t exactly sound as if it is terribly over burdened going by his own comments.

Yes there will be a future, unfortunately some felt the need to destroy the economy so the future will be less ideal than it could have been.

galloway840 likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

No clamp down in Iowa and the curve is flattening.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

634CC896-B082-431D-895F-5B7A7EE8C996.jpeg

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Phl218 likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Fear not, the chicken littles will be along shortly to tell you otherwise.
    Hundreds of lives saved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.