1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it time to let them go.....or should they.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dexter69, Apr 7, 2020.

1. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

I have owed this bike for about 20 yrs. I'm not the original owner. Bought it from a lady going through a divorce. I was home on leave from the army and had seen it in a Cycle trader book...rememember those? Anyway my brother and I went to look at it and we could not come to a agreement on price. We left and three months later I had a message on my answering machine about the bike we had seen. Needless to say she wanted bike gone so there we went to pickup bike. It was a awesome feeling.... I do believe it was like 3 days prior to Christmas...too kool! I was having fun with it but now I have so many projects and stuff it sits a lot. So should I sell it, trade it or just hang on to it? I love it so, maybe its time someone else can enjoy it! When I pull the cover off it I just smile ear to ear. What would you do? What would be your insight? Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

TurboBlew and SpeedyE like this.
  2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Pay the favor forward. Give it to the right person in your life that will love it and ride it. That's a really cool machine by the way.

jasonhise, DmanSlam, Ian178 and 3 others like this.
  3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

How in the hell did she get that in the divorce? Dang

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'd keep it, they're some what rare, that looks mint and you said it brings a smile to your face. If you let it go I bet you'll regret it.

beechkingd, Wingnut, malamute and 2 others like this.
  5. joec

joec brace yourself

Making a big assumption there. Just saying...

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Agreed, plus I can't imagine a worse time than now to try and sell anything and get realistic value out of it.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

How so? I suppose it's sexist to assume a lady didn't own/ride a CBX?

8. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Wire it up and grid that big heavy turd...jeez you posted it on a vintage racing forum asking what to do.:rolleyes::Poke:

dave3593 likes this.
  9. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

I think you'll know when it's time.....when you pull that cover off and the smile is gone

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is a no brainer. You will regret it once it is gone. KEEP IT !!!

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Counterpoint: The folks who can afford a bike of this nature are likely minimally affected by the current financial environment.

However, I'm of the mind to keep it for right now as well. Unless you are a functional collector (needs a purpose in your collection) as opposed to an aesthetic collector (the scarcity and memories out weigh the utility).

Tough call. I would say that you can offer it up for a reasonable price, and if someone buys it at your comfort level, then you will never regret it. But if you have to sell it due to an external influence (job loss, etc) for a price well below the value you assign it, then you will likely regret it.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Not saying that, but any number of reasons she could be the owner of the bike all along. Cool bike either way.

14. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

is that a PM front wheel?

15. kenessex

Looks like it has a pair of PM Chicanes on it along with S&W shocks and the 6-1 header that I have seen before, but can't identify cause I am old. Wire it up and take it to the track. It will sound awesome.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Never sell that, as it’s irreplaceable. In fact, I’d have Restocycle restore it and park it inside the house, somewhere.

17. cyclocrossfool

hi ken, d & d maybe

18. cyclocrossfool

1 or 2 might be raced with ahrma, same out on the west coast. there are a few out on the track

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I saw one at Tally several years ago, I can only imagine that it must have been quite an effort getting it around that track.

20. kenessex

I think it is a D&D, maybe a 6-2, and it has a fork brace along with braided steel brake lines. It is almost ready to go. Way back in about 1980, I talked a guy into taking his to a couple of races at Blackhawk. His had a 6-6 exhaust on it with three megaphones stacked on each side and the sound was awesome. I recall that it was a bit of a handful to get around the track. I can't remember his name, Something Cortez, maybe?