1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who's gotten furloughed?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Apr 3, 2020.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Just curious how many of us have been laid off, furloughed or worse yet let go due to this virus?

Just got off a conference call and thus far I think we've furloughed 11,000 people. My team was the last man standing but the hammer dropped today. They are staggering us in 3 groups for 3 weeks each. My vacation starts May 18 and ends June 8th.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The wife just list her job(eliminated her position). I can't really blame it on this whole virus crap, but it hasn't helped. More of a convenient coincidence. She's worked for a large construction company for 4+ years, first in AP, now in AR. Since the new CEO took over 2 years ago, they have been absolutely bleeding money and are so far in the red, that I'll be amazed if they are still around in 6 months, unless they get bought out by another company.
    The good thing about the timing is that she'll qualify for extra unemployment, apparently. She also got as severance. The bad part is that they had great health insurance, while my company has crappy insurance.

3. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Being a one-man band I'm not exactly getting laid off, but sales have slowed *right* down with potential customers feeling the pinch.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Was just about to start a thread about this.

I'm self employed in the construction industry and projects have started to be shelved. We're working, but it's slowing down.

I also just recieved a long voicemail about a property I'm selling. Apparently Freddie and Fannie aren't to keen on loaning a self employed stylist who owns her own salon a bunch of money at the moment. The closing has already been delayed twice, with another about to happen, and then only closing upon approval for a SBA loan for her.

I have another house getting finished and ready to be listed for rent with no interest.

And another getting ready to be vacant with no interest yet either.

We'll see...

Gino230 and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Part time job has cut hours to 50% of what I was getting.

Main job has lost 50% of my available time to being Professor D’ern.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Be happy you don't work in showbiz. There isn't any.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Most of my income from various sources has been whacked.

8. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

20200331_154025_copy_756x1008.jpg

This is us. There's about 50 of us not working right now.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If any small business guys need the application for the Payroll loan/grant, let me know.

You get 2.5 months worth of payroll $$ to keep your employees paid. If you keep paying them for 8 weeks it is forgiven.

YoshiHNS likes this.
  10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Here's the app

YoshiHNS likes this.
  11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I got as "lucky" as I did on this one, and I'm still pinching myself to see if I'm dreaming or awake! So, I had already signed my papers to retire on April 30th and officially be retired on May 1st. So this past Monday (March 30th) my boss came in and polled everyone to see if any of us qualified under the CDC guidelines as "High Risk". Being 65 years old automatically puts you at high risk, so I'm in. I have no underlying medical issues, but I'm 65 1/2 years old. Fast forward to Wed, April 1st (no April Fools day spoof on this one) he told me to head to a certain bldg and get my paperwork signed and I could leave when done. So, it shakes out like this. 30 calendar day off with full pay, agree to stay self-isolated (ain't hard to do these days), be available to return to work if the shit hits the fan, and I still accrue PTO time just as if I was working every day. So I left work on Wed around noon and I'm off until May 4th technically, but I'm going in on April 30th to do my exit interview, turn in my badge, debrief, and head for retirement! Like I said, not sure how I got this lucky, but I am truly thankful, blessed, and happy, as they have had at least 6 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the plant....

G2G, Gino230, scottn and 12 others like this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well played sir! :beer::bow::flag:

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son. He is an assistant purchasing agent at an internet hiking/camping store and they cut his hours to 6 hours, two days a week. He can do it by computer so he has been home with us for the last 10 days. I hate the reason he's here but love the fact that he's here. We're heading out riding this afternoon, then getting drunk by the bonfire tonight.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Address, -6'???

rd400racer and AC1108 like this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Been sick since last Tuesday so off work since then and not sure when or if I'll be able to go back, because of doing tile means going into houses which obviously isn't a good idea right now.

16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

We're still working, but scrambling to prioritize projects. I can't see us still being classed "essential" beyond the end of next week. What the future holds for me, and the shop I work at is in the wind. I packed straps and boxes in my truck for all my tools and office stuff should we get the notice. I can always bring it back when the doors open, but it's a massive pain in the dick to try and get it all out when they're already shut. Been there done that....

I remain cautiously optimistic. I've been on a path to self employment the past couple years, and while this is a wrinkle in my plan (wanted to have much more money saved), it's also a huge motivator and light at the end of the tunnel too. Back in 08/09 I went through a couple old shops that didn't survive basically jumping from one lifeboat taking on water to another before landing at this growing shop. The past 12 years here have been very prosperous and I've had a big hand in that, so if this place fails I can take that attitude and past knowledge with me either on my own, or wherever I may land. That's the hope I'm hanging on to right now. Chin up, eyes forward, keep moving.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Poop scoopin is hanging tough, knock on wood. We spend 75pct of our annual advertising budget in April and May and we are usually up double digit count over the trailing 7 days, but I'll take just not bleeding out!

[​IMG]

Mobile groomers have been parked for a couple of weeks now, though, unfortunately. That side will come back big time once this blows over, not so worried about that side. If the pooper scoopers park, though, getting those customers back will be a bitch.

18. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about well played, because the only thing that I have really been planning is my retirement day.....for the last year and a half. The rest of it just fell into place.....and honestly...I absolutely hate how this is all happening because of the ill effects on so many millions of people. Pray, think good thoughts, and stay positive for everyone out there doing battle to help eliminate this craziness.

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I got a text upon returning from Daytona telling me to stay home for a week. I put in for sick days to cover that. Upon returning a week later, found out the boss was shitcanned. New boss much smarter. I got cut down to a four day work week, which is what I had been pushing for since I started collecting SS last July. I'm supposed to be overseeing the recent hires, but they all got furloughed, so I don't have much to do for the time being. All May events just cancelled at Loudon, waiting on the status of Laconia Bike Week pending a meeting later this month.

20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

My groomer is shut down. My Standard Poodle is going to look like chewbacca when this is done. Wanna send a mobile to Michigan :)