1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New rider(s) - endurance and tech ?s

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by pjzocc, Feb 5, 2020.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

So it's been 8 years since I did my first WERA weekend (and last due to gnarly crash later that season) so some of the points of tech are a little fuzzy. Bear with me...

Planning on the endurance race and sprints at PittRace in May.

Safety wiring: specifically the pinch bolts on the forks. Kinda hard to swap and rewire those during a pit stop. Some latitude with this rule? Will rewire for sprints on Sunday. I guess this would apply to the rear axle bolt as well.

# plates: neon yellow is acceptable, yes?

# plates: I did side plates on the belly pan on the 999. Can I do side # plates on the mid fairing on each side? (Aprilia RSV4 - the belly pan doesn't have much flat surface area for plates)

Race school: N2 should have a school on that Friday - that will makes us eligible for Sat/Sun, yes?

Bike #: I need to register for the event before I can request a #, yes? Even if we haven't done the school yet?

Endurance: fire extinguisher - size requirement? Or just an in-date can?
    - orange shirt for the enduro as a PN?
    -If so, if we make it through the enduro without wadding ourselves, do we still get the orange shirt on Sunday?

I think that's it, but I'm sure as the next couple months roll on I'll have some more ?s. Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone can provide.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

First- welcome to Endurance racing, it's the best!

Wiring- you can use R clips or similar for "quick release" wiring. We have a bicycle type wheel lever thing replacing the fork pinch bolt. Both kinda fiddly but faster than wiring.

Plates- last I heard it's wide open for Endurance bikes, just run what you're going to use for Sprints.

Someone will chime in on the rest...

Shenanigans, pjzocc and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Tristan said on wiring, use the safety pin style clips.

Neon yellow is fine and mids is fine, just make sure they're visible with the rider on the bike (aka not behind your knees).

School will make you good for the weekend.

Bike number - email me some ideas of what you wnat and we can see if they're available and reserve one for you.

Fire bottle - 10 pound. 5 will suffice but the rule is 10. Worth every penny if you need it...

Orange shit - I won't be super picky but it would be a very good idea if you haven't raced in that long. Safer for you and others. No matter which day, it's not a bad thing to wear and always fun if you beat people while wearing it.

pjzocc likes this.
  4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Even if I’m a former #1 plate holder???

Just kidding... yeah it’s been a while but had a good season of TD’s last year. I’m fine with the orange shit just wanted to clarify.

And given the class we’re running... yeah, no delusions of podiums or top 5s! Just wanna finish the race with all our digits intact.

thanks guys. I’ll email some #s to you soon Sean.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you've been getting track time it's not as big a deal but still probably a good idea for the shirt anyway.

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Do I even dare ask about the status of the PittRace event yet?

Hey Sean... check your email. Please and thank you!

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have an answer as we haven't been in the office sorry. As for PIRC - same answer as every other event on the schedule, we hope to but have no idea.

8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Didn’t realize that. Sorry for my impatience.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No worries. Been a messed up couple weeks...

10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

For the pit-box number board... rulebook says 8"x10". Couple ?s...

Does it have to be white board, black numbers? Or can we do a colored board and/or colored #?

Can we put the team logo on the board?

Need 2 separate boards, correct?

Thanks!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can do whatever you like to identify your pit, all we want is an easy way to find you if we need to if something happens to your bike/rider on track so we can give you a heads up. The 8x10 regulation is just because that is a normal old school number plate, one of those with a number on the front and back works great stuck on a pole/bar/stick/whatever tied to your canopy.

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thank you sir!