1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contractors: Faux wood vinyl flooring?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Mar 26, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a couple vacancies in Albuquerque and need to make some decisions on flooring. They are 3/2 homes. Carpet is destroyed after a few years and frankly, I'm getting tired of replacing it every 2 tenants.

I'm thinking of just doing the entire house in that fake wood vinyl flooring. Kitchen, baths, bedrooms, everything. Same color throughout.

Do I do the 16' wide or whatever rolls with minimal seams, or the large planks?

Any negatives to this stuff, other than being damaged easily by sharp furniture, refrigerator feet, etc?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Lifeproof from Home Depot.

Next question...

Photo likes this.
  3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

LVP, end of discussion

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm sure its nice but I ain't spending $3 per sq ft plus installation on my animal houses.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I do in my rentals, and haven't regretted it yet.

motion likes this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'd put tile in the bathroom and kitchen, but other than that, go with the Lifeproof stuff.

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I just put a roll of the stuff from Lowe's down in our little open style kitchen. It's super cheap, $1.09 a sq ft I think. Feels like it too...Looks great but it's extremely soft. Gonna have to be careful on it. 12ft wide roll and kitchen is 12ft so extremely easy to roll out since room was bare. Other work is going on and not sure on future plans so wanted something easy and inexpensive to roll out. Will see how it holds up.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Vinyl sheet is garbage, will need to re-do every few years. Vinyl laminate plank is good stuff. Don't have to go all the way to luxury vinyl plank, you can get a mid grade that will still hold up if you don't want to go full coin.
    But don't do vinyl sheet.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sheet is cheap and 100% waterproof, correct? Also easier to install. Maybe a thick sheet product that resists damage?

I just know if I spend the coin on plank, they're going to destroy it anyway.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I put the waterproof plank stuff in my upstairs bathrooms and it’s nice but slippery as hell in your socks!

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't see how it's easier. Don't need glue with planks...

motion likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

This is probably a case of you have to spend some money to save money and headache down the line.

motion likes this.
  14. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Screenshot_20200326-114458.png Vinyl plank is the way to go. I just did a spare room at my house with the planks and it was super easy to install. Screenshot_20200326-114103.png

motion likes this.
  15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

A good plank will be roughly 2X cost of sheet. But will easily last more than twice as long, is plenty easy to install and won't be a PITA to replace with something else when replacement is necessary like sheet will be.

R Acree likes this.
  16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

image0_jpeg.jpg image1_jpeg.jpg image2_jpeg.jpg

motion likes this.
  17. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

My wife is a interior designer and has been putting Provenza brand LVP in quite a few houses. We have it in our house as well and it holds up to my herd including our 85lb golden retrievers claws. The nice thing about it is it doesn't need a liner or pad and it's relatively dimensionally stable with regard to temperature. With a lot of the other products you have to put expansion joints in every 15 feet or so.

motion likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I agree that for personal home use, LVP is the way to go and the investment is totally worthwhile. I'm just concerned that even if I spend $6 a foot, the tenants will destroy it. I never get that money back, either.

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Stay away from Lumber Liquidaters !!

Wingnut likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We are using thousands of SF of the LVT and LVP on commercial and most of the newer apartment complexes we visited when my daughter was looking have gone to that as well. It is more expensive, but so far it is durable and a kitchen accident that will result in full replacement of sheet, can be repaired more easily with plank.