1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That link has absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted. That link doesn’t contain a single counterpoint to anything in my post.

Not only that, the link actually goes along with what myself and many others have stated (and goes against the point you were trying to make regarding immunity).

That link specifically states how some people have a good “immunity response to the virus”....which is exactly what we (people other than you) have been saying.

Immunity develops from exposure. Either by contracting it “by accident”, or intentionally via vaccine.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Lmao.....like hell you have.
    You preach his is a novel virus with no way to fight it.

3. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

WV CASES Updated: 03/25/2020

51 Total Positive Cases

1031 Total Negative Cases

0 Total Deaths

19 Tests Pending*

NOTE: All test results, including those processed through hospitals and commercial laboratories, are reportable to DHHR and are included in the positive and negative case counts. *Tests pending only includes those tests processed through the state public health lab.
    Counties with positive cases: Berkeley (2), Harrison (3), Jackson (4), Jefferson (3), Kanawha (5), Logan (1), Marion (1), Marshall (2), Mercer (2), Monongalia (18), Ohio (2), Preston (2), Putnam (2), Raleigh (1), Tucker (2), Wood (1)

The above is cut and pasted from: https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

FTFY

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Fuckinhell. Do I need to go back and quote myself and others multiple times?

The point myself and several others have made is that unlike influenza, this virus made the jump from animals and we have no natural immunity to it (and there currently is no publicly available vaccine).

Nowhere, in any of my posts, did I say “we can’t develop a defense/immunity for it”. I said we don’t have one, and because this virus is new, every time someone gets exposed, that will be the first time their body has seen it.

Nobody received a Covid-19 shot when they were born.

Yes - we can fight it, AFTER being exposed to it. Just like we do other shit. That is also what was stated in the link you posted.

I don’t know how I can make that any clearer.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

From the article

RIF

7. Exactly. I don’t know why that is so hard to understand. Myself and several others have made that point/clarification multiple times.

8. I guess now I need to also copy/paste the definitions of “develop” and “response” for you.

Once again, there isn’t a damn thing in that link that goes against anything myself and others have said.

Hell, the post you quoted didn’t even have anything to do with immunity.

My comment was “you will not find a single credible source, like any of the aforementioned (CDC, WHO, Stanford, Harvard, etc), that says ‘people shouldn’t overreact or worry, this is just like the regular flu’”.

Then you quote that and post a link to some Australian place that said we can develop an immunity to it. WTF?

9. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Tampa Bay area is the New Yorker retirement home capital. The Tampa Bay Rays weren't formed because those of us that have grown up in this area have such a huge love of baseball. The team was formed because Steinbrenner wanted NY transplants to be able to see the Yankees play down here and not just during spring training.

The area to watch out for is The Villages just outside of Ocala. That area has been blowing up and growing as the retirement mecca. I could see covid-19 doing some massive damage as the average age there is 71 years old.

10. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I absolutely get what you’re saying and agree on many points. I just have zero sympathy for the airlines after their multiple bail outs. 20 years ago I received my type rating in a 737 while in college at Embry Riddle. Boom 9/11 happens. No more jobs flying and I walked away from the industry after dropping about 250k in college. That wasn’t their fault. The fact they didn’t learn and are once again asking for handouts. That’s capitalism. But that’s another discussion for another thread. You are right though and people will found a way out. I’m just trying to figure out ways to slow down the spread is all.

11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That's specific, and seems tough, but manageable. I hope your local government are forward thinkers and tough as well.

12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I don't have any sympathy either. Cake or death. Here is the cake. You'll like it.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I have been reading posts from friends in NEPA about the Marta busses and shuttle busses still running between NYC and Philly/ Poco is. Marta finally said they were suspending the bus routes last night. Shuttle vans tbd.

14. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I was just thinking of the Villages the other day and wondering when we would start hearing about cases there. That has the potential of blowing up like California does in fire season.

15. I reckon we will soon find out what happens when a govt chooses to ignore shit and not put restrictions in place.

The Mexican President (who is an idiot in general) has said he isn't going to stop anything or shut the country down. His comment was something along the lines of "they say we should avoid contact and shouldn't hug, everyone needs hugs". :crackup:

The business district in Mexico City (where the wife has been working) is a lot less populated that it has been, and several of the hotels have closed almost every floor because people aren't traveling or staying there. But those things are all being done because people are making conscious decisions to try to stay safe, not because of any govt restrictions.

When she got out of there a little over a week ago, there were only a handful of cases in Mexico. Now there are well over 400, with 1,300 suspected cases (awaiting test results). Mexico is even "later to the party" than the US, but unlike other countries, they aren't mandating closures/isolations/etc.

So we will just have to see what happens.

16. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Last I looked, The Villages has something like 130k residents and that doesn't include the number of snowbirds that only come down seasonally.

Both Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties (make up the majority of the Tampa Bay area) issued a shelter in place order yesterday, but it doesnt require non-essential businesses to close, but does state that they need to follow CDC guidelines, or else they are subject to fines and closure to be enforced by the Sheriffs.

Have no fret though, we already made the news about not closing our beaches in time (the now infamous picture of Clearwater Beach packed with tourists last week) which the local municipality caved to restaurant owners. The County stepped in and voted to close all beaches.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Fullington Trailways as well. Seems prudent for the time being. Took that many years, and in its prior iteration, Susquehanna Trailways, from central PA to NYC. Job in NYC for 32 years, lived in NYC a lot of it, substantially telecommuted last decade or so, oddball busride here and there. Still maintain an aprtment in Manhattan, my sister lives and works there, and it is not Armageddon, just more than the usual PITA.

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oy!

19. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

This. Saw three vehicles full of New Yawkers get turned away trying to onto the Qualla boundary(reservation) yesterday.

20. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Go to post # 3120. I originally posted the link around a month ago, the numbers and analysis are real, have been proven to be painfully accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.