1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am sure your family members are intelligent. But do you honestly think they know more about this novel virus than everyone at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, National Health Institute, World Health Organization, the research centers at Harvard and Stanford, and all of the top medical advisors in other countries around the world?

The only people I have seen say "people shouldn't be overreacting, it is just like the regular flu" are a few people on here, or facebook. You won't find a link from any credible source (like the aforementioned ones) where a scientist/doctor who has actually been dealing with this says "people shouldn't worry, it is just like the flu". The people who say that either haven't been dealing with it directly, haven't done any research, are in denial, or have a business that stands to make a financial gain by things going back to normal ASAP.

The reason you are still waiting for "somebody to tell the higher ups that this is just like the regular flu" is because it isn't true. If you are waiting for that to happen, better pack a lunch. I can assure you, if that was true, that point would have been made a long time ago. NOBODY wants this. Politicians are trying to get reelected, businesses are losing money, airlines are going out of business, tourism is in the shitter, the markets have tanked, etc. That all applies to everywhere, not just the US.

It has nothing to do with Trump or the US mainstream media. That assumption is just asinine, and arrogant. This isnt a "US thing", this is a global pandemic. The US is very late to the game. Countries like Italy, Spain, Poland, and France were shutting down, isolating, and closing borders back when there were only about 300 cases in the US. Because many people in the US have the same attitude that you do, the US numbers have been multiplying and we are heading down the path of being the epicenter for this virus.

It is absolutely ridiculous to think that this is happening in the US because of something to do with Trump or the media, or any other bullshit conspiracy theory someone can come up with. People who say shit like that haven't been paying attention to what has been happening all over the world since January.

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Bill Gates built this virus and released it on us. He hates old people.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Its funny you say all of that, but have you seen the numbers for the US? Have you seen how rapidly it is spreading here?

Have you personally been to all of those countries? You seem to be applying stereotypes to billions of people.

What if someone from those countries said "the US is being overrun because they all unintelligent rednecks that smoke too much and drink too much beer, they are all obese, and they are doing nothing because they all expect some magical sky daddy to fix it"?

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

https://www.sciencealert.com/doctors-have-mapped-how-our-immune-system-fights-covid-19

5. That guy obviously hates our leader a lot, and only gets his info from the US mainstream media. Someone call him and tell him it is all bullshit, and we should go on about life as normal...because this shit is just like the regular flu.

R1Racer99 and Past Glory like this.
  6. Quicktoy

Almost 90 died in NYC alone yesterday. Curve is curving up in that city.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I would expect it to for the immediate future, same for Philly, Chicago, etc. Saturation.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. Quicktoy

Problem is, all the New Yorkers won’t stay home and have brought it to Florida.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I believe you, you have any links? Any specific areas of FL it's hitting? That's a very specific problem, is it sizable?

Quicktoy likes this.
  10. Quicktoy

I’m sure there are a ton out there. I’ve just seen it on local news as I’m an hour south of Tampa Int’l. They are just this week now screening people off the flights from NY. This is the state people come to die in so they’re half old as hell. Don’t know why we haven’t shut it down for a pause to be honest.
    And Tampa just went to or is about to go to shelter in place.

11. Quicktoy

On a positive note. My step son swore in yesterday at MEPS in Tampa into the US Navy. He turns 18 in 2 days but still has to finish high school. He got lucky as they are shutting MEPS down today up there. He’s going for EOD. Got a 97% on his ASVAB!

casjoker, JBall and Phl218 like this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Screening seems a reasonable approach, while late. Outright banning will just wind people up, IMO. The better job the powers that be do of not turning this into a us vs. them situation, the better.

Quicktoy and baconologist like this.
  13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Congrats!!! To him and to you and Mama. 97% on his ASVAB, that's impressive. Your stepson, you say. Sorry, had to. :p

Quicktoy likes this.
  14. Quicktoy

And you’re absolutely right. But if all flights are shut down then nothing to worry about. And no us vs them. Just this is the rule right now.

as far as my step son.... we wanna know where the grades have been the last few years with that score. Lol.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Wiseass once said...

:p

I hope to hell the guy is wrong. This is Murricuh gotdangit.

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

He was probably bored. As to shutting down flights, can't agree with that upon consideration. It would be the nail in the coffin for airlines, but more importantly to me, would be untenable to the general populace, would have a damaging psychological impact, more rights being infringed upon en masse. Now if what is occurring NYC->FL were occurring in a meaningful number of other metro to elsewhere areas, I might have a different opnion. Riding a fine line between necessary
    temporary evils vs. credibility here. @HPPT has a good video on impact on airlines, Wendover, haven't looked for it in the YT thread.

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you shut the NY -> FL faucet only or even shut down all of the airlines, those with the money and capability will just flee to other places by other means (rail, driving, etc.).

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm in Boca Raton, the epicenter of New Yorkers flying down!!

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Sky daddy lol

I'm saving that one

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. I assumed it was obvious that my post was sarcasm. I agree with what you posted (what he said).

I hope he is wrong, but what he said/figured is very logical, and unfortunately very possible.

auminer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.