1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer Features

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by prm, Nov 3, 2019.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

This is what it looks like from the outside of the trailer.

Screenshot_20200324-153349_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200324-153444_Gallery.jpg

prm and JBall like this.
  2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I guess I should update this since I started it back in November. I picked up a relatively inexpensive 6x10. I then insulated the walls with 1” foam and spray in the gaps. Put down some rubber coin flooring. I ran a 30 amp connection to a breaker box and then to two outlets, one outlet has USB as well. Plugged in a strip of LED lights that run along one wall, and around the back. Put in two shelves. Installed a TRS, and some E-track. Not done with the e-track as I continue to refine where I’ll put everything, and place it so that it will be useful for unplanned loads. Need to install another strip of lights, connect the spare and then load everything for a test fit. The bike goes just right of center; the rolling tool cabinet goes between the yellow ties on the left; two 5-gal cans behind the tool chest, awning at the back edge; chairs will hang from top row; suit hangs in front portion of top row, then I have the two shelves for whatever. Also have a window to install. Very happy so far, but I need a track day t see how it all works out.

5532F240-64C9-4577-A1E4-17ECA81AD4BD.jpeg 1F2A9AE1-9F8B-41EF-B8D2-1421BE634EBE.jpeg 38E2C5E2-AC9F-4173-BEB8-01BBCBD1C839.jpeg A01F14BE-7A5B-4648-97A5-52BEE5653D55.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    lopitt85 and evakat like this.
  3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

During insulating process.

C2C1F5F1-453A-47C6-9559-1B7D17E3CD33.jpeg BE34F79D-731B-4B75-A2C7-23FC3FC6651F.jpeg

KneeDragger_c69, lopitt85 and JBall like this.
  4. lopitt85

Congrants! Glad to see you found what you wanted. If you havent done it yet, insulate the roof of the trailer. The amount of heat that radiates through on a sunny day is unreal!

KneeDragger_c69 and ducnut like this.
  5. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I did the roof as well. It’s an aluminum backed foam so it actually looks pretty good too!

Speaking of heat, do still need to get a small AC unit. I want to put it under the shelf on the center/right with a vent going through the floor. I had a model picked out, but I’ve since forgotten what it was.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  6. lopitt85

Post up some progress and completed pics when you do the install.

prm likes this.
  7. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

lopitt85...…….how did you add or secure the wood behind the sheet metal for additional support?

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Not sure what wood you're referring to. The walls just went back the way they were originally, screwed to the vertical metal beams. The shelves are held primarily by the beam attached to the e-track, then I added a small edge for the front part of the shelf to rest on. The edge is just screwed to the wall. You can see one above the breaker box (pic is rotated for some unknown reason).

Edit: never mind, that was not meant for me...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. lopitt85

I cut some 3x3 inch wood blocks that are. 0.75" inch thick. I placed one behind each mounting hole. I coated it with a $5 construction adhesive (any reputable brand will work) and held it in place with a self tapping screw for 24 hrs to let the adhesive setup.

Now that the blocks were glued to the backside of the sheet metal, I removed the screws, mounted the device and screwed the mounting bolts back in.

I wish I had taken some pics but it wasnt on my mind at the time.

10. lopitt85

If I had done it while I had the trailer gutted I would have framed it like my vents or a window. The backside of the sheetmetal would've gotten a sheet of plywood behind it and just cut thought it with the hole saw.

11. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I still liked the explanation how exactly how you did that though. It is helpful.

12. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

and the framing would have been attached to the wall studs with self tapping screws? Sorry, sometimes I need things spelled out for me. I hate assuming.

13. lopitt85

Think plywood flat against the sheet metal and between the studs, then attached to the studs with L-brackets and self tapping screws.

Tas likes this.
  14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Made two trips so far. Very happy with how it turned out. Each trip was about 3.5hr each way with quite a bit of that interstate hwy. Got 15mpg with my F150. The little vortex generators are pretty cool. The trailer doesn’t move at all when around semi trailers or other traffic. I slept in it for two nights on one trip. Had plenty of room for my cot with the bike still in the trailer. I’ve added a magnetic whiteboard and a curtain for the window. I’ll be adding 4 floor tie down points and a removable front tire chock.
    1F9A8FEA-DD4B-4C6C-92DE-F63F058DC45B.jpeg

evakat likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the stickon things??

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Yes, these little thingamajigs. I got them more out of curiosity. I did one couple hour trip empty when I got the trailer, and two round trips loaded. Mileage has been roughly the same empty without them and loaded with them, so I can’t say there is much change there. Though the loaded trips have involved more interstate highway travel. So, consider that. But the stability is very noticeable. It does not move on the highway. At all. I wasn’t really thinking about them until I had a semi right next to me on I95 and it occurred to me the trailer did nothing. Usually I can feel when a semi approaches or when it passes. Not now. I also tow a two axle Featherlight horse trailer for my wife’s horses and this trailer is much more stable than the horse trailer now.
    BD2B1C57-79B6-4ED0-8346-99D590B02D37.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  17. capt_slow

capt_slow Active Member

Who makes the best trailers that you can order with A/C and all that? Does anyone offer that from the factory? Apologies for the ignorance.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

any fabricator can... its pretty simple. Most trailers are framed with the brace supports between the rafters and the opening for the roof vent. If youre going to go that route... may want to look into a canopy as well.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

InTech, ATC, and Featherlite trailers are the best money can buy. They’ll build yours however you want it done. It won’t be cheap, but, it’ll be right.

20. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

NEO NAMV is the way I' m looking to go, when I unload my 6'x12'