Biometric or RFID gun safe

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I need a solution for safely storing my handgun. Looking something as child proof as possible, but still allows reasonably easy access for me and my wife. Is this even feasible?

Looks like last time we discussed this topic on here was 2 years ago. Anything change since then?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I have a gunvault sv500. It is electric but has four push buttons and you can program what ever key sequence you want. Including simultaneous button push ie 1,3 1,3&4 together etc. no fob to loose and no funky finger print reader to flake out.

ineedanap likes this.
  3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

BOTH!!

www.thegunbox.com

I have two. Freaking awesome!

I have them set for both my wife's and my finger. I have two RFID bracelet's that can be worn, an RFID plastic card, and 4 RFID sticker chips that can be placed on things (phones) that will open the box. I keep all the RFID stuff locked in the big safe just in case one of the kids figures it out.

They also have rubber rings that you can wear that are RFID. I thought about this but size was way to small for my bear paws.

Finger print is quick and easy and the new box even has a numeric code you can program but I find the fingerprint way faster.

Two USB ports for charging cords and power supply. I believe battery back-up is like a week, but not 100% sure.

ineedanap likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I refuse to submit to an electronic lock that may have my life in the balance. Just sayin'.

ineedanap and tony 340 like this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

When I am running for 100% mechanical shit.....last thing I want in my way is a circuit board printed in China.

ineedanap likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

Those of you thinking that quick-acting, electronic safes are a safety-conscious approach and a good idea, I have one question...would you trust your life to a trigger that only operates by biometric or RFID signatures?

ineedanap likes this.
  7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’m curious. Do you leave your stuff just hanging out in the wind?

ineedanap likes this.
  8. Patent1

Patent1 Well-Known Member

New gun owner here. Purchased a S&W M&P 2.o compact 9mm when it looked like Virginia was going to ban semiautomatics, or their magazines.

I also purchased a S5000 verifi gun safe to store the pistol:

https://verifisafe.com

See also https://gunskeeper.com/verifi-best-biometric-gun-safe

I open and close the safe several times a week with zero problems. IMHO, a biometric/fingerprint reader is a fast way to gain authorized access to the safe in a low light/dark environment such as a bedroom at night. I don't want to be looking for a key or trying to punch buttons in the dark while someone is coming up my stairs, however unlikely that scenario is.

ineedanap likes this.
  9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I find it easier to just reach onto my bedside stand and pull out a loaded pistol. However, I don't have any kids in the house and when the grand kids come over the guns go away. I don't want to have to get a gun out of a safe if I really need it.
    With kids in the house, the best solution is keep them out of reach until the kid is old enough to get educated on proper gun safety. We didn't have a gun safe when I was growing up, we were just taught how to handle our guns at an early age. I got my first shotgun at 12 and kept it unloaded in my bedroom closet along with my brother's shotgun.
    Education is the answer for safety.

10. fastfreddie

Hardly. It's in a mechanically locked safe, on my person or in the nightstand - depending on its anticipated use.
    I can appreciate those having kids and the potential risks. kenessex' advice is spot on. If uneducated kids were in my house, a gun wouldn't go into the nightstand until I went into the bed.
    In choosing any limitations to what may prevent or deter dire consequences, I'd prefer those contingencies be my own actions. That MO does not have a “device” in the equation.

speedluvn and ineedanap like this.
  11. RFID is only as good as how diligent you are to have your chip handy, just like a key. Push button with a code and key back up always seemed to be the simplest to be. Always have a key “hidden” near the safe that I can get to quick but no way kids could find it. My kids also know not to touch guns, even my 7 yr old but I still don’t leave them accessible. Even with a key i can get to my gun in under 7s locked. Key pad 3s.

ineedanap and beechkingd like this.
  12. tony 340

My protection pistol is bedside and backyard coyote rifle is by the back door cocked and ready to rock at all times.

No kids in house and my wife got her ass chewed when she let her sisters in one day and forgot. That won't happen again.

speedluvn and ineedanap like this.
  13. ineedanap

Although I definitely see the point of the mechanical boxes, think I am going to try either the gunbox 2.0 or the Verisafe S4000.

What do you guys with kids recommend... Keep a loaded firearm in the gunbox by the nightstand all the times? Just at night? Keep the magazine separate? I am pretty new to this so don't laugh if I say anything stupid. :)

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I recommend educating them and getting them familiar with the firearms. I was raised with firearms around the house, I have had them around the house since my son was born. Never an issue.

15. ineedanap

that time will come, although my daughter cried for an hour yesterday when she found out leprechauns weren’t real. Not sure if they are ready yet. Noone in the family hunts (including me) and most of our friends despise guns, so it’s a little complicated.

At least for the next couple years, “guns are bad” and “don’t go near one” are probably the limits of the discussion.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Leprechauns are scary little creatures. She should be happy they don't exist.
    :D

TurboBlew and ineedanap like this.
  17. fastfreddie

If you're gonna keep it in a box at any time in anticipation for ready use, it should be ready to go.

If you're gonna keep it bedside at night, it should be ready to go. Wherever you stash it in daytime and the ready condition in which you store it is up to you.

Magazine separation is for traveling in(through) a State with unfriendly(restrictive) gun laws.

Comments or questions about guns are neither ignorant nor stupid when genuinely trying to learn. The answers can vary as far across the board as there are different guns.
    Choose reputable mentors to start, grow to more refined mentors as your experience dictates.
    Coming to the Beeb likely filled neither of those considerations. :D
    Just kidding. There's some good advice to be found here but its value is subjective and generally limited to the context of a certain thread...good luck searching specific questions.
    Former/current professional gun carriers, former/current military and the guys raised on guns can/will have good insights and advice.

Edit: In light of your subsequent post, I recommend a large dose of guidance/instruction, followed by smaller doses of instruction, followed by thousands of rounds down range.
    I'm not a hunter as long as meat is available at the grocer. I do kill a lot of paper and random objects like bowling pins, used sprockets, dilapidated propane tanks...basically any junk that no longer serves its purpose. Hell, even the little green army men can be set up off in the distance...“INCOMING!” :crackup:
    Keep it fun, keep it safe.

ineedanap and speedluvn like this.
  18. speedluvn

I don’t like this approach but can understand it. My kids know that there are guns in the house. My daughter has her “own” weapon and had been to the range. They can ask to see the guns when they want, hopefully this removes the curiosity from the weapon. I want them familiar with guns. My local gun range allows children at the age of 10.
    My boys will be 10 this year. They are eager to go to the range. At the beginning of this year I removed all “toy guns” from the house to help them understand that they will be graduating to real guns. They have been acclimating to handling guns, i.e finger off of the trigger and don’t point the gun at a anyone.
    This has been my plan thus far. I’m figuring this out as I go.

auminer and ineedanap like this.
  19. speedluvn

Be mindful of your backstop.

ineedanap likes this.
  20. tony 340

The issue will not be with your kid. It's your kids friends that you have to watch out for.

In the event I have kids running around my house daily all firearms will be in a mechanical safe.

ineedanap likes this.