1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

He must be a good salesman.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have no idea how far back in this thread, @Fonda Dix comment was so I didn't quote it. But I can understand kids feeling that way, depending on how they were raised. Let's face it when we were coming up the world was our oyster. It was expected you would do better then your parents did.

I remember when kids were coming out of college around 08-12ish and they couldn't get jobs, many had to move back in with their parents, etc. Even if you were motivated, and didn't get a liberal arts degree, it was definitively a tougher time to get into the real world, versus say the past 5 years or when we all got out of high school.

My bookkeeper's two boys graduated during that time and they lost a lot of time trying to get a career going. One became a chef and finally moved to Chicago a couple years ago, as the opportunities to make a decent wage were much better there versus in S. Cal.

S. Cal is a weird market, per the North American Director of my forklift vendor Tailift, which is 82% owned by Toyota, he says S. Cal is the most competitive market in the country?

It costs so much to live here, yet at least in the forklift industry, the billing rate is much lower versus other parts of the country and unfortunately for the employees, that also hurts what the mechanics can make here. My top guys make $30 per hour plus healthcare and dollar for dollar match on 401K up to 3% of salary. In some other areas of the country they seem to be able to bill much more and pay their mechanics more. S. Cal still has a bunch of guys that were laid off back in 08 running around in a single van and fixing stuff for $50 per hour.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Insurance is part of what is distorting the marketplace.

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yeah, a few days ago when one of the administration's ladies was asked about the number of machines, she just completely ignored the question. I though, well, there's your answer.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Little fuck probably still lives with his mommy.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

i am not talking redneck engineering.

if i had to choose between sufficating and being put in tho the first negative pressure ventilator ever built, guess what option i would choose?

http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/56/8/1170

i design (and oversee design, prototyping and seies production of) complex systems based on black box development specifications in the automotive industry.

the way i see it:
    input: clean air possibly added O2

output: oscillating pressure and vaccum curve based on specific patient metrics

let's say, in 4 weeks, all hopsitals full and people suffocating on their own lung fluid, we talk again, ok? or get started now?

EdIT

soemone beat me to it

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/12/ult...-design-and-deploy-an-open-source-ventilator/

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think a lot depends on when you graduated. I remember Whip Inflation Now, wage and price freezes, contrived fuel shortages and Carter era mortgages. Anyone thinking any generation had it easy growing up is full of excrement.

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Phil, I'm laughing at your sig. Some people can't not yell at each other. :) :crackup: :beer:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Oh no, I'm talking about healthcare facilities. Forget insurance for a minute.

Big Hospital Corp buys up the one county hospital, and all the clinics, and converts it to St. Benjamin's of Our Lady of Giant Profits for about 6 months until they realize county hospitals are understaffed, their equipment is 15 years out of date, and they don't pay enough to attract good doctors and surgeons, so they shut it down and make everyone go to the nearest big city - sometimes 2 hours away. So, big city hospitals get overcrowded with the patient growth. Insurance plays a role because you can't see every doctor at every hospital unless you wanna pay extra, so that is another facet that kills competition. Then, your chosen doctor (absolutely zero performance metrics data to compare to anything, other than reputation and what Becky and Karen said about him treating their children) can't give you an appointment for up to 6 weeks because his docket is full on the Monday-Thursdays he works when he's not doing his on-call work and/or rotations in the ER that's understaffed due to the influx of people who come for bandaids, headaches, and other weak shit.

Its insurance, but its also the healthcare industry with profit as its primary motivator on a lot of things. I know there's no easy fix.

jrsamples likes this.
  10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I came out of college in 1979, at that time the worst recession since the Great Depression. While those entering the workforce in 2009-11 had greater collective problems to overcome, for those with skills and proper work attitude, I expect it was very similar to 1979-81.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I remember those things and still knew at the time that I had it much easier than my grandparents. It is also interesting that I do not remember anyone belly aching about his rough times when we were teens/20's.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't disagree. You can also toss in the difficulty in becoming a healthcare worker into the cost. I'm not talking about the overall education, but the GPA required to pass to the next level.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't recall parents being nearly as willing to allow their offspring to shelter at home. I graduated in 78 so we are the same vintage.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I love it! Phil nutted up when others didn't and did his own BBS! Kudos! :up:

Now that he opened his own place, we never have to reopen the one here! :D Go there! Go there!

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

gotta keep up the hustle while designing ventilators

halfway down this article.

i think it's time for manufacturers to debate latest and greatest vs. effective enough - considering market demand meaning needing lots of units. sure, i also read up on calibration and monitoring. but heck, what all can be programmed into a single $10 raspberry pi nowadays???

baconologist likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

it literally took one minute.

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Just caught the end of the latest presser. Think I heard that if you're going to owe federal tax they're giving an extra 90 days with no penalty to pay it. That helps us, just got off the phone with the accountant and we're going to owe some.

19. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Going along with what HPPT stated, questions are coming out on if its a marketing campaign. He didn’t meet any of the standards at the time to be tested, and front line nurses are screaming that they’re working dirctly with confirmed cases, having symptoms, and still not being tested. Hasn’t addressed them yet. Would hate to hear that someone thought a marketing campaign to normalize testing, based on lies, was a good thing. Hope this was just an example of... he’s rich.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

No doubt. Millennials are ruining social distancing and self quarantining. They don’t care about asymptomatic. The little bastards are spreading the disease. :D

Seriously though, they just specifically got called out in a presser to stop going out to bars and gathering etc. and basically to play ball like all the others age groups are doing etc.

Boman Forklift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.