1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR500- Road Race bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JTRC51, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

On another front... 25 months later... finally reunited haha!

HPRmotor1.jpg

And the exhaust to piece together as needed for the bike...

HPRexhaust.jpg

Jerry called me right out of the blue the day I came back in the country. Still debating on keeping this thing or not, but we'll see. Should be good for 75whp. Gonna think on it for a little but at least its home. What a whirlwind.

2. Sweatypants

Little preview... chassis fab getting to the end stretch. Need to do the front upper engine mounts and then I think its about done. Want to mimic an NXA of sorts with some bead rolled plate triangular mounts in there. So far other stuff: machine rear caliper bracket, add chain holder to swingarm, notch swingarm for potentiometer, fill and shave frame, notch frame for water pump, weld up rear CNC engine mounts, machine dry clutch cover, machine cover under front sprocket, steering damper mount, relocate radiator fill, reposition lower radiator inlet, notch radiator for airbox, radiator mounting brackets, headtube bracing with coil mounts... etc etc etc...

6025433301.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581743278672.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581743308428.jpg
    IMG_26401.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581743318940.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581743273405.jpg
    20200217_193647.jpg
    20200217_193747.jpg
    20200217_193826.jpg

motion, trussdude and JBall like this.
  3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It moved.

4. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

.......and I thought my projects were extensive

5. Sweatypants

Dry clutch? Extra cover when I bought my motor? Sure, why not...

6009745521.jpg

IMG_25611.jpg

FB_IMG_1582811228663.jpg

FB_IMG_1582811232509.jpg

FB_IMG_1582811235262.jpg

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Beautiful! More please!!

Sweatypants likes this.
  7. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

Someday I'm going to plan part of a vacation around visiting Washington DC (presume that's where you're still located) just so I can see this thing in person!

Sweatypants likes this.
  8. Sweatypants

For now, not sure for how much longer though. After all my life here, getting real tired of the commutes and traffic and assholes and exorbitant housing prices. Might be time to go somewhere more easy going where I can get a 3000 sq. ft. house and a nice backyard for the price of my piddly townhouse, and maybe ride dirtbikes or some such. Thinking about it at least...

9. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Real progress on the bike. I hope to see it one day. I am in awe of these kinds of builds.

I live in southern Ohio less than 100 miles from several cities, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Charleston WV. Around the small town where I live you can buy a nice house on a few acres for under 250k or a small house on land in the sticks for 100k. If you don't have to commute to a job in a real city, it's a great place. There are a surprising number of nice properties around here owned by people that retired from Columbus.

10. Sweatypants

Thanks man. Yea... the problem is, I want my DC salary in not DC. No sense in moving somewhere cheaper and then a decrease in salary matches the decrease in your mortgage and you're in the same life-spot. A more laid back life would be meaningful, but still monetary position also carries weight. the best bet would be a 100% telecommuting gig, which SHOULD exist, but seems hard to come by in finance (not a trader) compared to say... IT anything. then it becomes more strategy juggling between:

culture (restaurants and access to shows/activities)
    weather
    topography (for mountain biking mostly)
    housing prices

Its actually quite hard to have all 4 plus a good job in my field, in this country. You move away from a metropolitan area, you often lose my job market. Usually you're giving up 1 or more for the others... also usually its the housing prices or commuting times. Anything with nice weather and nice forests/mountains on either coast pretty much guarantees long commutes and/or expensive housing. No SW heat or deserts, no upper mid-west winters, no flat plains or gross humid flat Florida BS. Cuts out a lot of options. Seattle housing is expensive, SF, Orange Co., DC, anywhere NE, Portland OR, etc etc... all freakin expensive.

Just an example... my buddy moved from Socal to Boise to get away from all that and have an easier life with his new kids. Wife's a doctor, new practice is up and running there easily, life is good. BUT... even though the outdoor activities are killer there (he's a mtb and dirtbike dude too), and its cheap to live, and "up and coming" says a bunch of articles... the food freakin sucks. If you want good ol' american food or BBQ, its great... but for people like him or me that are used to amazing chinese/korean/sushi/indian/kabobs/mexican/peruvian at your finger tips whenever you want, that's a heartbreaker. The winters suck up there too. And its really dry and brown looking a bunch without a lot of trees. And there's no direct flights there from almost... anywhere haha. I dunno that I'd choose to plant roots in a place like that even though I don't mind it. Feel like I missed the window on Denver and maybe Asheville too, but I dunno... maybe check out surrounding areas of San Diego or Raleigh maybe (which I never thought I'd ever go south). Maybe just move further away in MD. We got a few ideas though. Gonna do some investigating this year. We'll see...

11. dave3593

I thought you might be retired or independently wealthy. Then away from a major city might have worked. I do miss good food. The sweetened, sauced up trash most restaurant serve makes me sick. I seldom eat out. When I do travel I try to find a privately owned restaurant that knows how to cook something other than ribs and baked beans. Real shepherds pie or good chile rellenos, mmm. I grew up here and have been determined to stay here but work has at times been a challenge. At one point I considered a job and apartment in a real city but keeping my Ohio home also.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Don't discount the Seattle area as there are 'Burbs that are reasonable distance from Seattle and might have their own finance hub. For a frame of reference, I live 12 miles from downtown Seattle and it takes up to 45 minutes to get there during rush hour. However, I'm ~20 miles from Everett and that commute (reverse) is half what it is to Seattle, with several cities between that have pretty solid demand for financial stuff. Plus year round riding (winter is soggy but not terribly cold) for any two wheel discipline.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've given up on food and wine in American restaurants. I ALWAYS end up with a sick stomach after eating out, and I am not going to pay $18 for a glass of crap house wine here in South OC. When the wife and I do go out, its at least $150 and its usually awful. My remedy is to buy a $400 ticket to Europe and get my fill of cheap, great food and drink. Gives me more memories too, even though I can only do it a few times a year. My wife is happy preparing food at home with Trader Joes and Persian market ingredients.

@Sweatypants good luck with your search, but IMHO its getting harder and harder to find an great life experience in America. Its a rat race. I truly appreciate and am thankful for my life in Montana, but its only good for half the year.

14. Sweatypants

Yea ideally that would be great. Keep a DC place and have a cool home somewhere else that I could stay at for extended periods. I thought Costa Rica at one point, but that's also almost DC levels for houses haha. Can't win anywhere. Its just too damn expensive to do that. Even renting out, the margins aren't there unless you had 20-25% down already. I never thought about food really being a deciding factor until staying in places where its not good. Another example... a few years back I took a solo road trip around British Columbia. I had amazing breakfasts and coffee, sushi was amazing in Whistler last year too. The pizza was so godamn terrible, it was offensive. Haha I've had amazing pizza my entire life. To go into that I feel like a hole would be ripped in my heart. I could deal with or without a lot of things, but pizza, pho, kabobs, sushi, good ass mexican food are like weekly staples for me. I dunno what I'd do. Also I'm not old or wealthy haha. I just saved my pennies for a good long while to do this thing in this thread. But yea, not that easy for me in that regard, still gotta earn the loot.

I LOVED Seattle. And I loved Bellevue (where I mostly stayed last summer when I was out there). I love the weather. I love the trees. The mountain biking is insane. Whistler is like 3 hours away. Where Alex lives is awesome as shit and only like 20-25min down the road from Bellevue further east. I've met cool mtb dudes from Bellingham before. The two downsides are 1. my girl is less of a cool weather person than me and thinks its a little too gloomy, which I can't deny that it IS kinda gloomy often, at least way more than DC. and 2. Bellevue prices are basically exactly like where I live right now, house for house. So then we'd be in a new city with no family and no friends besides 1 or 2, and our lifestyle wouldn't have really improved that much besides the scenery. It wouldn't change our day to day lifestyle, or free up more income, lemme put it that way. My commute is 50 minutes each way right now. I'd rather it be 15-20. This is about the max I can handle. My brother was doing 1.5 hour each way when he lived in LA. People in my office do that here too regularly. I'd kill myself. That's a big one for me... not wasting life-time any more.

LOL yea i mean, i don't generally buy wine out at restaurants. but we go to wineries in VA often in the nicer months. beautiful places to sit out, bring the dog, have some wine and cheese for not a billion dollars. but yea your last sentence says it man... I like what i do for a living, I like my home life and the things i do with my wife, i like my hobbies, i like my friends... i'm just tired of the damn rat race. I'm tired of commuting and traffic and the fact that I waste 10 hours a week on it. and I'm tired of, not my mortgage cost itself, but what i get for it compared to some others. I fell in love with Wyoming and South Dakota, but again like your last sentence... its unbearable half the year. a beach cottage and a Wyoming cabin would be the perfect combo, i dunno how i'd earn a living. there's nothing for me in Wyoming, just like there's nothing in the BC Interior besides maybe Kamloops. I dunno man.

15. dave3593

Southern Ohio isn't a notable place but it has nice rolling hills and the summers/winters are neither extreme. I inherited about 40 wooded acres that borders another 50 acres that my brother owns. When my boys were younger I put a camping area on our land by a creek and put in a fire pit and outhouse. Good memories. We have somewhat kept up trails. Twice I got four of my old dirt bikes running and invited friends over for a camp fire and "go jump on any bike you want". A couple brought their own bikes also. What a blast! I think I need to do that again. The bike thing was inspired by the guy called Meatball that does the Hell on Wheels vintage/junk races in California. If I lived within 500 miles of San Bernardino, I would be going to those.

16. Sweatypants

I'll say this about Ohio...

1 side of my grandparents were from Cleveland. I can't stand fucking Cleveland and now that they are gone I hope to never go back. Ever. I DO like Bone Thugs N Harmony though... thanks Cleveland. and the Shaker Heights neighborhood housing architectures. Ray's Indoor Bike Park and the jewish delis... that about rounds out the only positives. Its gloomy and depressing and the people are wack. Cleveland sucks.

on the flip side... I rode thru some AMAZING roads on the Ohio River Valley area right on the border of WV and Ohio one time on a trip. Met a road racer with an RC51 that showed us around for a while on his racebike and we did some real DUMB shit that was so much fun haha. I do not see myself ever living there though.

I'll say this... I like Santa Cruz/Monterrey areas the most of all of Cali, followed by Santa Barbara, followed by Orange County. Specifically I would LOVE to live in Laguna Beach up on Top of the World where I could roll out of my house right to some amazing DH trails and have the ocean view at the same time. Housing in any of those places is just so far out of control its not a discussion. Besides being stupid on principle, I just flat out don't make enough money to live in one of those places comfortably, or in a lot of cases even at all. I refuse to be house poor. Plus the insane commutes and traffic is obnoxious in Socal. I'm keen to really check out San Diego this spring, I've never been in all the 50 million times I've been chillin in Socal. Prices are pretty much like DC, so at least it wouldn't be WORSE. Cali really does tick all the boxes except for housing cost and commute times. The mountain biking and dirtbiking is awesome, the beach is right there, the food I already know is gonna be dope. Maybe we'll really like SD.

17. dave3593

Cleveland has never lived down that Lake Erie by Cleveland has caught on fire more than once.

boxcrash likes this.
  18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

As a former Mentor on the Lake resident, I can indeed confirm that Cleveland sucks......

19. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

You mentioned Raleigh NC in earlier post. Aside from 6 weeks of humidity which I can't stand it's not a bad location. Traffic volume is increasing but nothing like DC area. You can play golf, tennis & ride motos pretty much year round as we don't get a lot of snow. Great moto scene for all tastes. Smoky Mountains area easily reachable in 3-4 hours. I have lived there for 25 years. There's lots of places I'd rather be especially in the summer but prices are out of reach. When work becomes optional we'll likely stay here because of friendships, but head out to higher/cooler altitudes for the summers.

20. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Yep that and the river downtown....back in the 70's it caught on fire a few times as well......I still have relatives and lots of friends that live in the Cleveland area....its really sad what it has become

NemesisR6 likes this.