1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anyway, about this coronavirus thing...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're not the only one waiting. I sold a lot of stuff last year and was just sitting, waiting for the next disaster. I'm in the red with what I kept, but I'm definitely looking forward to the ride up. Hope to meet you at the bottom. :D

Funkm05, Montoya and Gorilla George like this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well that was informative, gross and upsetting. No wonder all this shit starts there.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No way am I going to watch that.

4. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Good idea. What has been seen cannot be unseen

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't forget the hype factor. Those that love increased government LOVE to make it seem as if they alone can solve the problem (that they usually created in the first place). Never miss an opportunity to exacerbate of make use of a perceived crisis.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

It's no biggie (the vid). It interjects emotion WAY too much. The fact that people eat different kinds of meat is not the issue. Some can't get past that. Hell, the American Indian ate dog. If you haven't cleaned a poultry farm mega chicken house or went in daily to collect the dead, then you should.Gives a new perspective to Micky D nuggets. Those people have been eating that shit for hundreds of years and their life expectancy has grown. The problem for them is that they have a 2nd world understanding of microbes. "Sanitary" as in the video means that the harmful microbes are not prevalent at the levels that will make you sick. Then there is the mad cow type things that does not give a shit about sanitary. Those are the boogie monsters.

Frank Thomas sells the same shit in a pill as those guys are selling in that wine....and she'll like it too.

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Not sure how you're twisting that into anything to do with government size?

The overriding principle of the any securities trade is hype, isn't it? Giving up your money to a company in exchange for a return, whether it be stocks, bonds, or any other form of debt, means you're hoping they use the money to create a return on investment for you. If they were to continue with status quo, you wouldn't give them your money, right? So any barrier to their projected future growth numbers, whether it's pandemics, earthquakes, strikes, decreased market appetite, or in summary, hype, has an effect on the market.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IMHO, those who wish for increased government control use situations like these to promote government intervention as the savior for all your ills. The hype and BS most of the progressives are spouting is part and parcel of that effort.

Gorilla George and jrsamples like this.
  9. rice r0cket

So you mean like Dodd-Frank?

I personally don't understand the backlash other than it's a good "repeal Obama's work" talking point. Maybe this is worth another thread, but I don't think anyone can argue other than unbridled capitalism led us to the 2008 market crash. The selling and securitization of subprime loans pushed the risk of loan defaults onto the average American. Then on top of that, they basically fudged credit ratings so that the subprime loans had AAA ratings, and people who bought into that were in for a surprise.

The only people winning by repealing Dodd-Frank/shuttering the CFPB are the banks and companies trying to hide shit behind the transparency forced in the legislation. Making sure companies were transparent about their earnings, their projections, and their business interests, are somehow bad things? Nothing in it "hindered" the flow of investment, unless you were selling highly leveraged financial instruments or predatory loans to people with bad credit who would never be able to pay it back, or a bank and had to stick to more conservative lending ratios due to liquidity requirements, or an insurance company with similar risks.

I struggle to find the vested interest beebers have in supporting stripping Dodd-Frank rules, are y'all selling loans/insurance? Are some of you senators masquerading as beebers, and have bank lobbyists paying for your meals? The market survived/thrived through the whole Obama administration after Dodd-Frank, yet for some reason y'all want to return to rules that created the whole crisis to begin with?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodd–Frank_Wall_Street_Reform_and_Consumer_Protection_Act

Find some good talking points, I'm interested.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Unbridled capitalism? More like federal meddling trying to social engineer loan criteria, but whatever floats your boat.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I hadn't realized this guy has lived in China for 14 years....

12. rice r0cket

I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you explain social engineered loan criteria?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no should or should not, there is only how his contract is worded...

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Requiring banks to underwrite loans that were NOT in keeping with prudent lending practices in order to artificially inflate home ownership.

sheepofblue likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The market survived/thrived based on the injection of a massive amount of liquidity in the form of a doubling the national debt...

Montoya likes this.
  16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Once they figured out how to bundle and sell them properly, they gladly loaned anyone enough money to hang themselves with. In 2005, I got pre-approved for almost double what I calculated I could afford with only 5% down.

jrsamples likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’ve been in a short position for over a year so........just another correction.

18. rice r0cket

That never actually happened though? HUD set mandates for Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac on purchases for affordable housing, banks were never required to underwrite subprime loans; they saw an opportunity for a short term gain and they took it. The vast majority of the subprime loans defaults came from private banks.

19. In Your Corner

That was my job when I was 8-11. Twenty-five cents an hour. I can still remember what the dead pit smelled like.
    We did two batches a year and most of our work was at the end of one batch and the beginning of the next.
    Now, speaking as someone who used to deliver beer and liquor to Chinese restaurants, if you like Chinese food
    then you want to stay out of the back of the house and especially the basement. Refrigeration and sanitary food storage
    are not high on their list of priorities. Neither is cleaning.

20. In Your Corner

Some people never learn.