1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR750W dry clutch

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by gsrichxr, Feb 21, 2020.

1. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Anybody have a 93-95 Suzuki GSXR750 factory parts catalog? I have multiple years of Yosh catalogs from that era, no trans stuff in it. It's not in the standard microfiche like the RG.
    I got my hands into some dry clutch stuff, but need help identifying the 93-5 gearing from the 96-99. I understand the markings on them (gears and shafts stamped A B or C, and 3 or 7 degree undercut on gears). Would make it much easier if I had an exploded like the 96-99 book with tooth count as I sort them. Only other way I can figure to do this is having both W and 33E dry shafts in hands to compare. I have 6 mixed boxes of gearing to sort (not looking to hold one shaft then the other against them). A 93-95 factory catalog would help in a big way. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I have an 86/750R/RG and am in the middle of yanking the dry clutch assy out. Let me know if i can be of any help

3. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Thanks. appreciate it. The lack of info out there on the Ws is killing me. I get that they got overlooked, not a lot of it made, and not a lot of it got out into non factory racing hands. I really would like to sort it, had it in storage, had to move it, and stumbled on a donor bike to house it restarted my hunt for info. I've been looking for a couple of years for it and off and on, just nothing out there. I'm trying to figure out what I have as there will be spares that I can part with that might help someone else. I've already spread out one box of 3 degree undercut (which looks to be W) and have multiples of A,B,and Cs, next step to figure out what sits on the counter and what sits on the drive shaft.

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Leads for you....Check Yo PM's :clap::flag:

5. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Thanks for the heads up, but I saw them early in the month had reached out and asked. The guy’s name is Jelle. Dead end unfortunately. He’s looking for oil cooled dry clutch info himself and mentioned he had what he said was a slipper for oil cooled that came from SERT.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. empirex

empirex EmpireX

7. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Thanks on that link as well. Just hit those leads with an email.

Anybody aware of who across the pond besides SERT might have raced Wa with dry clutch?

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

JU/Hammer and Co?

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

Even in the 90's you couldn't find a dry clutch for the W's. Yosh had to send all them back to Suzuki and if I remember correctly they didnt even have them. I also dont think the W's raced in WSB in 93-95 so Europe has been a dead end for me. Every dry clutch I find is for 88-92 or 96-. If you find one please post it so I can see it. I also have a garage full of spares so if there is something normal your looking for let me know.

10. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

W. Heavy. Overlooked. Less competitive than the oiler out of the box. 1 privateer in WSB racing Suzuki was all I saw. Even Suzuki ignored them knowing the SRAD was not far off. 95 Cycle World article quotes Yosh as tuning for smoother power, not hunting for more of it.
    I can tell you not all the W drys went bye bye. These pieces came out SoCal give or take 15 years ago. I stored it and had to move it recently. I un boxed a bunch of it. I have dry covers I have checked using W and Oiler clutch cover gaskets. They are W covers. I have shafts hand marked ‘95 W that are similar in length to the 33XR0 shaft, albeit physically different beyond that. I don’t have an oiler dry clutch in pieces to check against. I have needle bearing transmissions in hand for both the 33XR0 and one marked ‘95 7 degree, and there starts my first issue. I have both 3 and 7 degree gearing and am certain that the 33XR0 was all 7. Thought the 3 would be W until I looked at the one marked 95.

CLM81 likes this.
  11. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

IMG_0458.jpg

That's a MG W valve cover. I have actuators to match the covers. IMG_0386.jpg IMG_0482.jpg

Needle bearing = works IMG_0483.jpg

12. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

IMG_0190.jpg
    I haven't pulled this open yet to see what degree cut. XR06 should be 33E parts. Box containing them was 3 degree

IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0188.jpg
    Another quirk I'm hunting for an answer to. I've been told A = race, B = close ratio. C = mixed ratios. Where does D fall as I have some stamped D.

CLM81 likes this.
  13. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

well theres something you dont see often. I stand corrected. You got some unicorns there.

14. empirex

empirex EmpireX

15. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Does this mean you can still find a dry clutch setup for the 96-99 models? Does anyone know of any other true race parts are still available for those years?

16. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Thanks. I had forgotten about them and shot them off an email.

17. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Thanks SpeedyE. If/when you have that apart, could you get some measurements off of it? If you are going to pull the gear set off, a picture of the bare shaft would be cool, if not some measures of the shaft would be fine. Overall length, length of the shoulder from the basket side to the drive gear that is part of the shaft, and the measure going the opposite way to the bearing carrier. Diameter would be good too. The W and SRAD are different length, and I have shafts for both in hand. I have an RG as well, whole and running and really didn’t want to pull it apart for measuring.

18. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

Here's something else of a question. The actuator on your RG apart, is it parallel or angled to the clutch cover? The W covers I have use the angled units. Picture of the 2 actuators show the difference, and the cover also clearly shows that being different.

Attached Files:

19. gsrichxr

gsrichxr Active Member

There are still parts out there, but nothing other than custom being made at this point. Yosh has nothing for them. The Europeans and Australians have been gathering them up as they have had classes for this generation superbike a few years now. The book has been a huge help, and why I am looking for similar for the W.

Attached Files:

20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

As stated in the previous post the SRADs are not easy bikes to find parts for.
    I posted an ad here last year, a man contacted me and sent me pictures of let's say.. 30-40 boxes of Yoshimura parts..you name it he has it, I mean anything & everything, Yes ... dry clutches as well , he told me the dry clutches he had were in house Yoshimura models and we're of the few that could be adapted with considerable work and
    ( all ) the correct in house parts. All of the factory dry clutches need race engine cases/oil pans/ cranks etc specific to the each SRAD racebike and class it was supplied to.
    Upons speakingwith him he told me they and most of the parts just will not work with a production engine he was adamant that under any circumstances everything is custom factory one-offs. OH LORD. He has the Scott Russell Daytona 200 Lucky Strike machine + others, Superbike shocks forks triples swingarms etc but the frame had to be specific to the swingarm which had to be specific to the shock which had to be specific to the rear rim and Axle etc nothing is interchangeable without a talented Machinist..even the Qwick fill tanks and the bodywork everything's different than a production bike, he said the SRADs were unlike most previous GSXRs bikes , as theywere full factory effort race bikes made to (look) like street bikes.
    He told me (every) SRAD bike of (every) year was different than the other, and noted parts from WSB through AMA were NOT interchangeable easily between the bikes.. endurance spec versus race etcetera.
    I'm certainly no expert..not even close... You guys confuse me with gear length of shafts et cetera... lol
    But this gentleman is and he definitely knows GSXRs.
    I don't want to say too much.. get the impression he's holding steady to most of his stuff some of the shock/Forks/ triples e/Magnesium carbs etc..... which he has boxes of, he said went for $20.000 plus (each) in the late 90s.
    He's from the originator of these parts ( so I have total confidence in what he stated.
    I was able to source a brand new high mount Yoshimura (production bike) race exhuast from him. I'm very happy about that... Trying to get more parts... But I have a feeling I may not be in that buyers club $$$$$$$$. I can't post pics here? Guess I need a hosting site...but his inventory is SRAD was/is gold.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020