1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praying for Ryan Newman

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Feb 17, 2020.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Thanks for correcting and citing the proper cause.

2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

He’s standing there walking out the hospital with his kids. Shoes, shirt, etc. are just minor details. Pretty amazing if you ask me. I look forward to hearing what all happened in greater detail.

Funkm05 likes this.
  3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Glad to hear he is OK and going to be racing again. The cars are pretty amazing to handle two huge hits like that.

With all the talk about the cars, restrictor plates etc., what is really missing is that the superspeedways have outlived their original design. A track that is so highly banked that vehicles can go flat out everywhere are a big part of the problem that no one mentions. Tracks like Michigan and California Speedway have similar top speeds, but they don't have the huge packs racing door to door. Chop off about 20 degrees of banking at Daytona and get rid of restrictor plates and you'd see better safer racing.

Bikes have the similar issues and Superbikes don't want to run at Daytona because of the tire loads and wear in longer races. It's cool to have ridden the banking there, and I hope we never see it, but there's a bad crash there in the future on bikes too.

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Shit, WRC guys crash worse than this all the time. Taking trees out, going end over end while barrel rolling, and whacking rocks and walk away all the time. Just look at Ott Tanak's crash this year in Monte-Carlo.

stk0308 and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I don't think the wrc cars suffer anywhere near the g forces from the crashes. The NASCAR's are going way faster and weigh more.
    Plus the expanding energy from the crashes in wrc where they go flipping is alot better to deal with vs the sudden stop of hitting a wall, even a safer barrier in Nascar.

6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Because a huge ass pine tree is so much more forgiving than a "safe barrier"?

Get out of here with that shit.

tony 340 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  7. 418

418 Expert #59

The WRC guys are going 80mph not 180. And the cars are a lot lighter. So there is a huge difference there. Also keep in mind spectacular barrel rolls is dissipated energy. It's the sudden stop/hit that gets ya.

I'm sure either sport can kill you just the same.

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'm not a WRC expert by any means, but those guys are cooking faster than 80mph. You don't get a car airborne at 80, trust me, I've tried.

I will agree, so many more factors than just speed and yes, either will kill you just as easy.

I've always believed, when your ticket is pulled, your ticket is pulled regardless of what you're doing.

9. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

So probably fifteen years ago I went to a little safety seminar hosted by Randy LaJoie. He was already building seats at the time of Earnhardt Sr's death, but had never had any way to test them other than waiting for his customers to wreck. After Sr's crash GM opened up their test facility to him. What they learned was not only did they not know what they didn't know but some of the things they thought they knew were wrong and causing injuries. Anyhow, I wouldn't race today with any of the seats I used in the 90s-early 2000s.

Same thing with head and neck restraints. I wasn't racing when they first came out. Raced a few times with an old-school neck collar when I first started back. Don't know, got nervous or smartened up and went and got one. After the first time I wore it it was like yeah I'm never getting back in a car without this.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I'm not sure how cut throat it's allowed to be. I was drafted to be the Starter when we had the World Road Course Finals at NHMS in 2015. At the drivers meeting I was asked to go through the flags for them. When I was done, the Race Director kept giving me funny looks and glancing to my bag. I finally got the hint and pulled out my exclusive "dumbass" flag. (See photo) The Race Director gave his own special explanation as to what it was for. ("If you see this pointed at you, I want you to think long and hard about how badly you screwed up!")
    There were two Controllers in the tower. One was on a frequency with all of the flaggers, the other was in contact with every driver and the Starter. (Me)
    The drivers were chewed out for bumping just before I threw the green, if they were blocking they got chewed out. ("He's faster than you, get the hell out of his way!") If the racing was getting a bit too close, they were chewed out. ("If you keep doing that, it ain't going to end well. It's not my flaggers' job to break up fights!")
    All in all, good racing without the carnage.

[​IMG]

Quicktoy and noles19 like this.
  11. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

to compare WRC/Rally to this is not a good comparison. /I use to be a suspension technician for a SCCA Pro Rally team and had the opportunity to view and discuss at length John Buffun's Audi Group B and A cars with his guys. The safety of the "circumstances" is more prominent in NASCAR much more that FIA. Not taking anything away from FIA standards but its not even a fair comparison. I know NASCAR has always been regarded as low tech but trust me the aerodynamics, and driver safety they are very advanced.

noles19 and YamahaRick like this.
  12. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

It's a damn miracle that guy walked out today, but a little off that he's posing for pics with Truex like everything's all good but no text or voice from him. We still don't have a clue what his injuries are and he hasn't personally uttered a word. There's a piece missing here.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

These people have been around Hollywood too long. I second guess everything now and wonder if what you described is for show or not.

Joe Remi likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it is, and the tumbling before hitting the tree is scrubbing off a ton of energy.

noles19 likes this.
  15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I personally don't think it's anyone's business. I understand the desire to know as I am also curious, but I'm certainly not owed anything. I think we have all gotten way too accustomed to knowing every little details about an athletes medical information.

He did write over the weekend that he sustained a head injury, but that was the extent of what he shared.

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Just YouTubed that after reading your post, that's unbelievable

tony 340 likes this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Newman's an engineer (Purdue). Probably not into social media like you Kardashian-type folks.

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Lol for sure, you’re clearly better than all of us when it comes to this sort of thing. I mean, that’s why you’re not in here posting, right??

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

He didn't even soil his overalls. Those guys are crazy.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, the drivers are not that crazy. The co-drivers, that's where the real mental illness is. I've been following world rally since watching them go past my uncle's house in the early 80s. I can only recall a couple of times when a co-driver fired the driver after one too many crashes. I remember this Russian kid maybe a decade ago. He didn't last too long in WRC. I cannot think of any rational reason why his co-driver did more than one race with him. I wish I could remember his name. I have this mental image of that time he nearly flipped a car backwards over a jump in Finland. I wonder what he's doing these days.