1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Ram 2500 extended warranties

Discussion in 'General' started by aftriathlete, Feb 15, 2020.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Gents, anyone work for FCA or Ram or just have experience with extended warranties on Ram 2500 Cummins trucks that can school me?

I'm overseas for two years, so my truck is in storage until I get back in July 2021. The military storage outfit is supposed to be starting it periodically, once a month or something, and moving it around the parking lot a bit to keep the tires from getting flat spots, but that's probably about it. I purchased the truck new in Feb 2016, so its factory 5 yr/100K powertrain and emissions warranty will be expired end of Feb 2021, 5 months before I get back. I'm nervous about a modern diesel truck with all emissions gear going out of warranty after sitting for 2 years. The same fuel and DEF is in the truck this entire time, not to mention it's stored in the desert of CA, so who knows what kind of things are going to dry out or get dry rot or just succumb to age.

Anyone have first-hand knowledge, from the dealership side, or from the customer side, of the factory Mopar extended protection plans? I'm looking at their site, but it seems like I can only really access any information about the specific plans through a dealer, plus it seems like that's the only way to purchase a plan as well. I'm wondering about the following statement on the FAQs: "New Vehicle plans can be purchased anytime within 4 years and 48,000 miles of the vehicle's warranty start date (the date the vehicle was delivered to its original owner)." So I assume that for the next two weeks or so I'm still eligible to purchase a New Vehicle plan, but does that require physical inspection of the vehicle at a dealer? That would be a problem obviously. Thanks for whatever light anyone can shed.

2. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

You'll probably have to go through a dealer and I know the ram forums have a couple of recommendations but couldn't find them in my 1 minute search.

This is the site I've used in the past but it only works while the bumper to bumper is still active. There is info about the extended powertrain stuff though and what that covers.

https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/vehicle-warranties

Edit: it says you'll have to call for pricing near the top since your bumper to bumper expired. But at least you can a quote to start somewhere

aftriathlete likes this.
  3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Call FCA directly. I just dealt with them on a denied warranty item and they were great to deal with.
    That is where I would start.

aftriathlete likes this.
  4. aftriathlete

Did some reading today especially on CumminsForum.com and found a couple recommendations for Zeigler Auto Group as an authorized dealer of the factory Mopar protection plans. I looked at a couple other sites, including the site you linked LossPrev, and it won't let me do an online quote for a 2016, they'll only let you do it back to 2017 model year. The Zeigler site does let you though, link is https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com. I just emailed them and asked them questions about the Max Care plan and how it would or could work for my situation of not being able to produce the vehicle for any kind of inspection if that's required. For reference, it's showing $2480 for 3 yr/36,000 miles Max Care plan ($200 deductible) that's supposed to cover everything on the truck except for:
    • Maintenance services and items used in such services
    • Wear items (such as tires, manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, belts, exhaust, and wipers)
    • Snow plows, winches and trailer hitches
    • Body and paint items, including soft trim
    • Glass and plastic lenses
    • Catalytic Convert, Particulate Filter, and Exhaust
    So the down side is that the SCR and DPF would not be covered, but the rest of the emissions system parts should be like sensors and electronics and whatnot. From what I've read, there is not a warranty plan out there that will cover ALL emissions parts. They consider them wear items I suppose, and probably related to the high likelihood of failure of these parts and the high cost of them. This Max Care is apparently the best extended service plan out there, it's the factory plan that covers the most. Big questions I had for them to confirm for me in addition to if I have to produce the vehicle for an inspection before I could purchase a plan are: the 3 yr/36,000 mile plan starts the day I purchase the plan? If so I would wait until I get closer to next February, unless the cost would go up dramatically over the next year. I also asked if they have any promotions or military discounts going on -- some CumminsForum guys referenced the periodic promotions they were able to take advantage of.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. aftriathlete

I looked up the federal emissions warranty it mentioned, and it says on the Dodge website that my truck is covered for 5 yrs/50,000 so that will run out in Feb 21 too. As for the CA emissions warranty you mentioned, the vehicle is stored in CA just because that’s where I flew out of the country, but I’m a FL resident and the registration is the last place I lived, Alabama. So it doesn’t look like I would have any coverage by that CA warranty unfortunately.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Most shops around here shy away from aftermarket warranties. Last guy came to us said noone would touch it. Your results may vary, but we dont make as much and unless were slow we dont bother with them. Same with towing and motorclub stuff. Cuts the profit margin.

Be prepared tp jump through hoops or having to pay shop to

aftriathlete likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My dad and 4 fairly close friends have them. AFAIK none of them had any real issues needing the false security of a warranty contract... the oldest being a 2017. I would imagine you could buy some really nice components for the cost on one of those contracts, that would probably add more reliability & longevity.
    Good news is where your truck is stored is probably ideal. Bad news is I wouldnt be starting it just to idle or w/o driving it. I would bet not many folks "pickle" a newer truck for longer storage so unchartered territory there on suggestions. Ideally having the truck on jackstands and covers over the tires will help aging/dry rot more than anything. As for the DEF... I would guess the desert sees near freezing temps some nights??? I cant see diesel going bad in a vented tank... my only concern would be the pressure in the fuel system. Also removing the batteries and keeping them on some kind of trickle maintainer. Lastly some kind of desicant bag/container in the cab.

aftriathlete likes this.
  9. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Spitz, what he is looking at is a warranty directly though Ram/FCA and is easily used at any dealership. I would agree with Turbo though that I would skip the warranty in your situation. 3 years for $2500 seems a bit steep espcially when it doesnt cover the emissions equipment which is probably the primary concern. $2500 would cover a good portion of repairs so I would bank the money, maybe put it in some sort of investment account.

I think the only other thing you would have to be worried about is the 68rfe trans depending on how you use the truck. If it's a stock tune and you don't tow a lot/heavy you should be fine though.

aftriathlete likes this.
  10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

2 years should be nothing for diesel, as long as algae doesnt start. Def is more of a concern having a 1 to 2 year shelf life depending on conditions. Cant pay a trusted someone to run the truck a few times a month, wash it, fill fluids etc? I think youd be better off that way, truck stays somewhat fresh and you save money.

aftriathlete likes this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have pretty much the same truck.

Take the money you would pay for the warranty and stash it. If they weren't making money on it, they would not offer it.

TurboBlew and aftriathlete like this.
  12. aftriathlete

Well the truck is at a military storage facility in Tracy CA for military members that go overseas but don't want to sell their vehicle. It's paid for by the gubment, so it's a decent deal. The agreement is that they start the vehicle once a month, presumably to let it idle for some period of time but I don't know for how long, and then they move it at least a few inches to prevent flat spots. If any repairs or recalls come up during its time in storage they coordinate that, including on warranty work, so in the time they are starting it up between now and next February any problems that might develop *should* still be covered by the warranty. My main concern is the DEF as well, not necessarily the diesel fuel. But I neglected to put any kind of algae treatment in the fuel before I left, it was a whirlwind dropping my truck off in LA the morning that myself and my family of 4 were flying out of the country and not coming back for 2 years. I am going to send the storage outfit an email and ask them if they have any special considerations or procedures for diesel vehicles, but I'm guessing it's no and they treat all vehicles the same way. Tires aren't a concern -- they were on the limit of needing replacement when I dropped it off, less for miles than for age and some initial cracking, so I already know new tires are going to be required before I even leave LA with it.

To Zeigler's credit, they already appear to have good customer service. They replied overnight with answers to all my questions, and then i followed up this morning which they also already replied to. He confirmed the plans start on the day you purchase the plan, so 3 yrs/36,000 would start today if I bought today. He also confirmed though that an inspection by a Mopar dealership is required, so I'm dead in the water at the moment. I'm not too upset about it though. Honestly $2500 for 3 yrs/36,000 of extra coverage is more than I expected it would be, especially with the couple high rate of failure emissions items that are excluded. It seems to make the most sense to just plan on having that kind of money at the ready when I get back in case of problems. I will probably look into a diesel shop in the LA area too when my return gets closer to see if they could drain my fuel tank and my DEF tank so I could start fresh.

13. aftriathlete

Guess it's worth adding, being military and the fact that I think we are headed to DC when we get back to the States, deleting emissions is not currently an option for me. I'm moving to places every couple years that has emissions testing, including the DC area.

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If the DEF quality is significantly altered by sitting, when you get back you'll just get a limp in type message with a "low quality" DEF or something to that effect. Even if that ends up being the case, pumping out and replenishing it with new stuff is not a huge deal.

aftriathlete likes this.
  15. tony 340

Idling these trucks is not the greatest thing for them.

In fact you're better off having them tow a 20K lb trailer for a couple hours. Then park it.

cav115, aftriathlete and TurboBlew like this.
  16. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Might be out of left field, but does FCA have any sort of extension program for deployed service members? (I'm assuming since it's stored in a military storage facility that you're at least somewhat military related) I know Mercury Marine did something similar in the past (don't know if they still do) but would at least be worth looking in to.

aftriathlete likes this.
  17. aftriathlete

Yeah, that’s right. I’ve had problems with the truck in the past letting it idle for too long. Don’t have a better option at this point either though. I did email the storage management yesterday and asked a few questions. If I get a reply I’ll fire that one back at them, what does the starting procedure actually involve and how long they let it idle.
    That’s not a bad idea honestly. I might reach out to FCA about that. It’s spending its last 20 months of factory Powertrain warranty and emissions warranty in military storage, would be cool if they would extend me by the same amount.

18. tony 340

If you have cruise control you can actually increase the idle while in park with PB set.

I would encourage that

aftriathlete likes this.
  19. aftriathlete

Got an email back from Mopar -- they are unwilling to extend my coverage for any length of time. What I asked for was for an extension of roughly 6 months beyond the end of my 5 yrs since it's spending its last 20 months in storage, that would give me about a month after I get back to the US to get the truck inspected for a service plan if I so desired. It would also just cover me for when I start driving the truck after such a long layoff. But I got a pretty standard "We cannot make exceptions to our coverage rules." I would have been surprised if they said yes to that anyway, but was worth a shot.

I got some info back from the storage place as well. They said they add a fuel additive to all diesel vehicles on check-in, so that's good news. I don't know which one, however. Then they confirmed they start the truck and let it idle for 10 minutes once a month, move it a few inches to prevent flat spots, and apparently every month they check tire pressure, fluid levels, leaks, lights and gauges, belts and hoses, and battery. So all that said, I guess that's where I'm at -- truck will be out of warranty by the time I get back, no chance to do anything about that, but I'll keep some smart money on hand for the possible problem when I get back to driving it next summer.

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Warranties are a load of shit in a bucket, I frequently leave my ram for months at time. Going on 5 years now, changed a battery and a key fob that I spent 20 dollars on amazon. It's in storage for 2 months now and have no doubt it will turn over fine when I put the key into it

aftriathlete, TurboBlew and cav115 like this.