1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anyway, about this coronavirus thing...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2020.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

"Meanwhile, health officials report 26 million flu infections in the US so far this season, including 14,000 deaths."

So you mean to tell me a country of 1.4 BILLION people are in the throws of a pandemic that has resulted in basically martial law for 1/10th the number of deaths we've had in our country from just this year's season flu so far. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the death toll has topped 100K in China as of yet?

Phl218 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Asians seem to be doing not so well. When their infected numbers start to match our influenza infected numbers, we'll see whether the wait for an approved vaccine was worth it to them.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My doc was positing statistics about how influenza has killed over 10000 in the US just this year... I politely reminded her that that was out of how many MILLIONS of cases?

Something with a mortality rate of "point zero something percent" isn't a terrifying disease. Something with a mortality rate of possibly multiple percentage points gets my attention.

She still wouldn't give me Tamiflu. If I die, I'ma haint her!

4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

My freak out threshold hasn't been breached yet.
    I'd put it at 3/10.
    No harm however in packing some extra cans of food in the pantry.
    I see it like this..when there were 5 of us in this house and someone got a cold it would bounce around on each of us. Not always, but when one member got sick at least 1 or 2 of us would also. Then it's a an endurance excersize that can last a couple weeks.
    Multiply that by 280 million and you have China's house.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So what is that, 560-840 million infected, assuming no one outside of their house(s) gets infected?
    Times what, 2% mortality? 11.2-16.8 million...and is that just one incubation period?
    The math isn't linear, it's exponential. Which Seal of the Apocalypse is this? o_O

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m willing to take the chance. :D

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ok, not coronavirus related, but still pretty fucking cool.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Treatment for glioblastomas, huh...

Sorry Johnny.
    o_O

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It already has clearly.....because China isn't officially stating that it is has no bearing on that inescapable reality. There's not a chance in hell only 60K are infected and only 1400 have died globally from this.

I feel REALLY terrible for what the Chinese populace is going through because of this. However, it's still worthy of mention that not a single non-Asian has succumbed to this illness, and the controlled media outlets are being suspiciously tight-lipped about that fact.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

SGVRider likes this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nice.
    Fuck glioblastoma. :(

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

For sure. They have no idea how many undiagnosed cases are out there. But no doubt they have crunched the numbers based on what they know how the virus spreads etc and have this number but aren’t sharing it.

14. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Coworkers daughter is only 20 and was diagnosed with glioblastoma. Due to her age, she's been receiving some experimental treatment with dripping the polio virus onto the cells... so far it's working. Not a cure, but the hope is she can have a few years of high quality life. Had a friend in high school back in the day get it as well, things were different back than with no chance, his parents pulled out money out of their retirement and let him just travel the world for around half a year, while he could. One horrible disease.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are they doing that because she has no chance of beating it with conventional methods?

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s insidious. Has it’s own blood supply so it grows extremely fast. Intertwines it’s tentacle like growth into the motor control areas of the brain making surgery extremely difficult if not impossible. Almost always fatal.

Seemingly healthy one day then incapacitated the next. Like a fucking light switch.
    It’s a mother fucker.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn. :(

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

The conventional methods are radiation treatments coupled with chemo. They have made progress with eliminating some of the nasty side effects of chemo. The reality is, treatment is done mainly to reduce tumor growth (which is a misnomer as it actually reduces the rate of growth, not actual growth) to reduce pressure being put on the brain.
    Surgery or mechanical removal is extremely challenging and only gets a limited size of the tumor removed. The remainder remains intertwined in the brain and regrows.

Meredith went from going on a 75 mile peddle bike ride with me, which we did every weekend to two days later having surgery to eliminate pressure on her brain, to dying sixty days later. Like a fucking light switch man. She had two of those fucking monsters in her brain. :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Adam.B likes this.
  19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My CDC employed neighbor that spends all his time flying into hot spots said you can take any number China is stating publicly and triple it.

Phl218 likes this.