1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic (Old) Ski Boats

Discussion in 'General' started by 90kacoupe, Feb 12, 2020.

1. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Anybody here into old ski boats? I grew up on the water wakeboarding and wakeskating but we never had an actual ski boat. My Dad sold his boat about 10yrs ago, and I'm itching for an old ski boat. I love the look of the old closed bow ski boats like the Stars and Stripes and Classic Ski Nautiques, and I do not need a monster wake. I just want a good fun boat. I know open bow offers a lot more room, but right now I'm not sure I'm looking to have a bunch of people on the boat. I'm hoping to find a clean 82-86 Ski Nautique 2001 since they had a surprisingly good hull for wakeboarding.

Anybody here own any classic ski boats? What did you like or dislike?

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I think that's the exact boat my friends have........a 1989 Nautique 2001 with a 302 Ford V8 in it. Not a good wake boat, IMHO.......but it makes a delicious sound and is easy to work on.

TLR67 likes this.
  3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

You could also dig a small hole, toss shitload of money into it and set it on f...

Nevermind, this after all, is a bike racing forum.....

:D

4. 90kacoupe

I know it does nothing compared to modern boats, but the Nautique 2001 is suppose to be a pretty solid wake boat. I have always heard that they have a great shape but the size isn't there. Did y'all have any ballast in the boat?

5. 90kacoupe

Its got be less of money pit then road racing 2 strokes! hahahaha

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It is quite small.

We never messed around with ballast. Nobody who was wakeboarding behind it would have been good enough to take advantage of a decent wake anyways, including yours truly, lol.

However, it made for good times and they can be found for a very good price for a very well-cared for setup.

7. 90kacoupe

That is kinda where I am at. I haven't ridden in years. I honestly enjoyed wake skating more than wake boarding, and the massive wake is even less important there. I'm more or less looking for a solid budget boat to have fun with, ride with some buddies, and take the girlfriend and her kids out on. I think it should do the job!

8. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Bust

Out

Another

Thousand

9. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

I have this 1989 American Skier. I traded an '02 R1 for it.

I've spent less on it than a motorcycle...

Attached Files:

• boat.jpg
      boat.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
  10. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My late aunt had a late ‘70’s 21’ Dixie I/o ski boat. Pretty sure it had a 302 v-8 in it. Boat is in pretty decent shape (stored indoors) but the motor needs to be rebuilt just because of lack of use. If I’m not mistaken the estate was only asking $2K for it. Located near Charlotte NC. You’ll need a trailer too. She kept it in a boat house at the lake so she didn’t have a trailer. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll make some inquiries for you.

11. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

I owned a 1997 Tige' PRE2150 for 20 years. Must have had close to 1700hrs on it. Went through 3 busted Hobbs meters, last one had 450hrs on it. Only major item I ever had to replace was the steering cable. Other than that, its just a Chevy 350 (Mercuiser gen+) so it will run for ever. Very few actual moving parts on an inboard ski boat so the maintenance minimal. Trailer bearings are another story!

The Tige was great as we got it when waterboarding was just getting big. Had the TAPS (Tige' Adjustable Planing System) for making nice fat wakes (for the day) but then could drop it to get some slalom runs in. Fun boat!

Disliked the flat bottom from mid ship back for rough water. You'd get pounded if the water was slightly rough. That and we'd be taking water over the front as its so low, if you didn't pay attention to what you were doing when coming back across your own wake picking up skiers/boarders, tubers etc.

[​IMG]

pfhenry and K51000 like this.
  12. 90kacoupe

That is what I am hoping for in an old boat. I don't need a $80k boat to enjoy the lake.

That Tige' is nice. I had a friend with a similar boat when I was in highschool. That generation boat is a little more than I want to spend. I also like the styling of the older boats a little more as well. I'm definitely aware of the rough water ride of Inboards. The 80s Ski Nautiques carry a small V all the way to the transom which is known to make it ride a little better in rough water. So hopefully it won't be as bad as some. I do wish I could go new enough to get into Fiberglass stringer. but for the first boat, its just not in the budget. I have been on a few boats when they got bow washed pretty bad. hahahaha It is definitely something I will do my best to prevent!

The simplicity is what I love about DD inboards. There really is just nothing to them. Outside of stringer rot, and floor issues. They are incredibly easy to deal with compared to inboard/outboards, or outboards.

13. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the outboards ski boats. Better Bare footers. See avatar. And yes, I also long line behind the boat, cross the wake, etc.

TLR67 likes this.
  14. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I went to look at new ski boAts recently so I could
    Be a total bruh at the lake this summer .... my jaw dropped and I was quickly humbled on the pricing of new ones . I was actually embarrassed for wasting the sales guys couple mins . Stupid $ - I’m sticking with center consoles

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The prices I saw I’d be content with just sticking my feet in the water while still ashore.

16. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

My brain keeps reading this as “old ski BOOTS” - probably because I’ve got a banged up knee on my mind. So here’s a photo of my old frog in a blender Nordicas.

D07C797C-71BC-4431-B868-C065E671F47D.jpeg

Jed and fastfreddie like this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup...was hopin' to see some Hansons and Dolomites. :(

18. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

That's easy - just get a 20 year loan, like everyone else!

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Be careful with anything pre 1989 .. lots of makes still used wood for many of the seats, upholstery backings and floors.. I had a 1990 Mastercraft for 26 years...only wood in it was the teak platform.. the people that always make fun of boats are the people that dont use them.. and neglect them.. My boat didn’t see the shop since I bought it new in 1990. I applaud you for wanting a good closed bow tournament boat... Not many people like you out there. If I could still foot I would get another... But my shoulders are gone.... My boat below... reverse Hull 190 with 351 Windsor. Few other mods here and there....

Attached Files:

Evad101 and 90kacoupe like this.
  20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I did a 10.....