1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michele Obama says white flight ruined her neighbourhood

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by speeddaddy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh and even if it did happen on an overwhelming wholesale level. How can any blame be directly placed on the people who have left and are no longer a part of the community, over those who remain and are a part of the community?
    How does this work? How in the world can a greater level of responsibility be placed towards the people who are absent over those who are present?

So please tell me. What is the answer that you are telling me that I am unable to read?

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not only this but why is it seemingly OK to blanket an entire race of people based on the behavior of a few and specifically in this case one woman who seemingly has other issues. The hypocrisy and level of double standards is off the charts.

3. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

English class.
    This is what my daughter sent by text.
    They were reading Huck Finn. Someone find context for this to be a discussion in high school?

Attached Files:

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Honest question. What’s the context for it to be discussed on the Wera bbs? Is there a difference?

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Where should it be discussed? Language evolves. Gay used to mean happy.

6. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I should have grabbed a quote for context. This in reply about the level of racial shit going on today. Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

G 97 likes this.
  7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Certainly not in a high school English class.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It isn't as if HS students haven't heard the words. The list of behaviors and unacceptable language is far longer than these two words. IMHO, the first step towards elimination is education, and not all homes are teaching good values.

cav115 likes this.
  9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I’m sure they’ve heard worse, but you’re going to miss me if you think there’s nothing wrong with teaching this in English class. I’m finding this lesson plan indefensible.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

I guess I’m lost. Are you saying that it was being presented and discussed in class explicitly to support racism and to validate the use of both, nigger and niggah interchangeably towards blacks as an acceptable term or name to call or refer to blacks?

Can’t sensitive subject matter be rationally discussed?

Of course me not seeing it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 100% agreement with this.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

But what are they teaching?
    What’s the lesson?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Perhaps I am missing the objective of the lesson plan. Sorry. This was taught in an integrated English class in 1972.

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Was that for debate or stated as fact? What was the reason, pretext or otherwise for the statement in the first place? On a personal level, I’d like to know the difference.

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

This being presented as ‘which is the correct usage’ while reading Huck Finn. While the word appears in the book several times, so does the word ‘penis’.
    As an educator, you have to know the sensitivity of such a vile word, and how it’s used in today’s world. To feign ignorance (the teacher actually did) is just baffling. Of the 2000+ words to use as vocabulary lesson from the book, the teacher chose this one. It’s just not acceptable to me. It shouldn’t be acceptable to anyone.

G 97 likes this.
  15. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

In 1972. Times change, and what’s acceptable should be clear. Fuck, shit, piss, and bitch are actual words. Have any of these been submitted as a vocabulary lesson that you know of?

16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

As a parent, I'd certainly want a heads-up about a teacher's intention of brining up such a volatile topic. Unfortunately this happens all the time on a variety of subjects. Race, birth control, sexual orientation...…. Happens every day without parents knowing.

It does bother me when I hear a black person using the N-word when referring to another black person. I don't really see why that's ok.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Given those parameters, I agree with you.

18. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

You and me both.
    My kids know better. The quickest way to chastisement is to utter something that remotely resembles any type of slur.
    I’m undecided about ‘bruh’ which my kids seem to enjoy saying. If they like it so much it can’t be good.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think the lesson could be very short and succint...

Neither should be used by anyone for any reason. End of lesson.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Times do change. When I was taught the book in 1972, it was taught in a historical context and the unacceptability of use in current discourse. The others were, aside from bitch, included in the seven words you cannot say on television. None of them were used as commonly as they are today.

cav115 likes this.