1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed for kart track bike

Discussion in 'Tech' started by africanjon, Jan 28, 2020.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'm defining good advice while most of ya'll are trying to make him a pro fucking racer.

"Mark Marquez started off on a mini so you have too"

A 300 is a better big/small track weapon then a mini will be. Let me put this is caps since y'all only read what you want too.

IF YOU HAVE THE FUCKING TRACK SIZE FOR IT.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Dude...what school system did you attend, because I want to know so my kid and grand kids never go there. They do NOT
    teach reading comprehension where ever school you failed to graduate from.

The OP HAS a 675R for the big track days he rides. He's NOT asking for a bike for big tracks. He's asking what little bike is a good choice for little
    tracks...thus why "kart tracks" is referenced here over and over and over in the original asking post AND all subsequent threads.

He's NOT asking for which bike is best for dual purpose.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Well, honestly you're both wrong... The 150 is pretty much the perfect bike for kart tracks. The power isn't an issue on the 300s the size and weight is.
    450f supermotos now have over 60 hp at the wheel but since the weigh 230 pounds its very enjoyable and is the best training for big bikes which is why most pros train on supermotos at least some.
    Now as far as getting started a xr100/ttr125 is a great choice and will absolutely tech everything you could ever want to learn on the kart track or on dirt so you're correct there and correct that a 300 is not a good kart track bike.

3. dallen.helmer

dallen.helmer Well-Known Member

Dude...what school system did you attend, because I want to know so my kid and grand kids never go there. They do NOT
    teach reading comprehension where ever school you failed to graduate from.

The OP HAS a 675R for the big track days he rides. He's NOT asking for a bike for big tracks. He's asking what little bike is a good choice for little
    tracks...thus why "kart tracks" is referenced here over and over and over in the original asking post AND all subsequent threads.

He's NOT asking for which bike is best for dual purpose.[/QUOTE]Lol typical internet warriors now, since the conversation is changing up the only thing he can bash is grammar. [emoji23][emoji23]

Go make this guy a racer like all of ya'll. I'd love to see y'all names in moto America soon

I'm trying to save paychecks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

4. noles19

Exactly, at CMP we ride from 9-4:30 open track with lunch from 11-12 and i don't think anyone has ever made it the entire time

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Maybe at NOLA your advice is correct? My kid raced there back with AMA, but I didn’t see the kart track, so I don’t know how big it is and won’t comment about something I don’t know about.

We have run at many kart tracks in California where this poster was asking about and a big bike like you suggested would be a mistake, plain and simple.

I may have totally miscommunicated with you previously, the reason I brought up all those fast kids was they were all nobodies out learning proper race craft at that time. Having spoken with them and their dads, we were all having fun with our kids and most of us had no intentions of our kids turning Pro way back then.

They all rode with a bunch of adults on those same little bikes, some of those adults even went Pro, I didn’t mention them because you wouldn’t recognize their names.

I wasn’t trying to turn this guy into a pro, and wasn’t trying to come off as a know-it-all-smart-ass, hopefully I did not. I was trying to exemplify a proper procedure and bike which is what he was asking about.

Coors75 and SuddenBraking like this.
  6. StaccatoFan

I've watched the 450's race at Sandy Hook in Maryland, and it just doesn't look like fun. Like watching an elephant bathe in a bird bath.
    NJMP's kart tracks might be better, but they don't run 450's there or DMVMiniGP in Hanover, MD...no 450 class there, either.

I primarily discounted the 150R because if the OP does indeed try to race MiniGP...cause that shit is FUN....at the 3 tracks I go to here in the Mid Atlantic,
    that's only eligible for 1 class. At least the TTR/XR/CRFs I referenced can be raced in Stock 100 and F1. And if you want to do an Endurance round, you may be
    the only bike in the F3 class if you show up with a 150R. What's the fun in getting a trophy for just showing up?

The only reason I am on a Grom is because I had it in the garage. I bought it before my son did his first MiniGP camp in 2017 as a little fun bike to tool around on.
    Then, when he started the MiniGP..I decided I didn't want him to be the only one having all the fun. Since the Grom was already in the garage...that's what I went with.
    The Grom's fuel injection is nice...it's additional weight over the other 125's isn't.

7. dallen.helmer

This is our kart track layout. They host many events on this layout and cap bike size out to 400cc

Gamra a supermoto organization will come around every so offen and change the lay out.

Our track is big enough where a 300 can thrive. Then after you're done with the kart or smaller track you can go test those newer acquired skills on a track that's twice as wide. With alot more room for error.

[​IMG]

8. StaccatoFan

I'm trying to save paychecks.

I wasn't bashing your grammar...I was saying you cannot read..and you cannot comprehend what you read.

See! You fail again! You're good at it.

9. dallen.helmer

You're right.

10. noles19

I can see your point at Sandy hook, ovrp and some others up in the north east are better for 450s. my point about the 450s was the power of a 300 isn't the issue, its the size and weight that makes it not fun.
    the 150r is kinda a trade off for me because yes you don't have as many classes but for trackdays it's much more fun and you can competitively race a 150r up in class against 450s.

TurboBlew and StaccatoFan like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It's really not even a contest. I value my time too highly to be a slave to someone else's schedule at a big bike day. And to your point, the track is open until sundown but I'm usually gone by 3PM (starts at 11AM) and I've turned 150+ laps and am fucking pooped.

And FWIW, I'm pretty consistent on my TTR but I'm so slow that the consistency is probably not worth writing home about :p . Excited to try out my KX65 (bought this one http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/fs-kx65-motard.364340/) as it's going to be a whole different animal than the TTR.

TurboBlew and StaccatoFan like this.
  12. StaccatoFan

Agreed..the size and weight of a 300 is a serious negative.

Brandon Paasch was at the May NJMP MiniGP Endurance round teamed with Gus Rodio. Brandon was on a 150R sliding sideways into T1. That kid is sick.
    Gus has a Frankenbike. I think it's a CRF125 with a Grom front end (triples/forks with Ohlins in them). I think both wheels are from a Grom on that bike, too.
    It's the best of both and Gus hauls the mail on that thing, too.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. StaccatoFan

I'm a excited about my Ohvale GP0 160 this year too.

It seems to be a GREAT time to be into Minis in the Mid Atlantic area...the sport kind of seems to be taking off. Three tracks 20 minutes to 2 hours from the house is awesome.

It's just special to have the ability to have this kind of fun with the kids. What started out as a way to let my son explore his interest in the sport has turned into a great way for us to
    have a ton of laughs together.

14. noles19

Yeah brandon is fast, He was dragging elbow on my sv650 a couple years ago at pitt race when he joined my endurance team mid race haha.

You should come down to cmp in feb or march with your kid, we ride year-round

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its just one of those things to work on and in a trackday setting its rare youre going to get so much tracktime you call it quits...lol. First time I went 45 mins on a big bike it really opened my eyes how physically demanding closed course riding can be. You dont know what you dont know sometimes.

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

My first time on an MX track, I'd do one lap and have to take a break :)

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. africanjon

africanjon Active Member

Thank you for all the replies! Minis that are set up are hard to find and that's why the 150r appealed to me. Im 30 minutes from Sonoma and the kart track is open every week during the week, whereas the big track has 3-4 track days a year and they usually conflict with family. Thunderhill has more days but is a solid 2 hour drive. The ability to do many laps is what is so appealing. So no KTM everyone agrees, so its the crf or any of the others you mentioned!
    Cheers,
    Jon
    PS If anyone knows of a nice set up mini Im looking (6 feet 200 pounds)

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much is that 150R?

19. Coors75

Coors75 Member

Hey, my local kart track is limited to 250cc. Lots of guys on yz85, crf150s and kayo 125s it seems. I am planning on picking up a used Kayo. Any reason it wouldnt be a good choice, things to look out for?

(Hope this isnt detailing the OPs thread too much)

Corey

20. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

I regularly ride Sonoma kart track and have a well set up CRF450.

I’ve had pocketbikes, ysr50’s, Ttr125, rs125 w/ 85cc engine and by far the 450 is the most fun for me.

if you go to any moto track day you’ll see a gang of full size (250-450) Supermoto bikes out there. You can typically find these bikes already set up for Supermoto for similar price to minis.

I would stay away from riding a 300 ninja or rc390 on a kart track.

Considering you’re in Northern California, you will have Sonoma, Stockton and Dixon at your disposal. My preference of bikes would be in this order:

1. 450 or 250 Supermoto
    2. RS/TZ125 chassis w/ 85cc 2 stroke or 150 4 stroke
    3. Ohvale
    4. Mini Supermoto (150r, 85cc)
    5. 300 ninja or Rc390

im over the days of flogging the fuck out of lower power bikes like xr100’s or ysr50s to chase good lap times. I’m lazy now and want power ;)