1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP to NBC/NBCSN

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jan 30, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Haha yeah... and I remember when they disappeared for a while then reappeared. Didn't know the backstory of the guy.

Joe Remi likes this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You're correct for my part of the world.

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The sling tv package that has nbcsn is $30 a month. Im not gonna pay that, not on top of the other streaming services i pay. Looks like motogp video pass in my future.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When KR senior brought motogp back to LaGoooona and the US he also brought it back to prime time, live, major network TV. Showed live on one of the big three networks (NBC is sticking in my head but that was a long time ago) way back in '88.

Double american winners that year at the lake with Filice winning 250s and Lawson in 500s.

5. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Yep, '89, too..that miserable race where Freddie didn't show up and Shobert got hurt. I was there, then watched it on the VCR at home. I don't remember seeing any more on network TV after that, the 500s didn't last much longer there.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Disappointing news. They aren't showing it on NBC (which may have actually attracted a few new viewers), but just another extra cost, optional cable channel (NBCSN). Judging by their coverage of everything else, they will break for commercial whenever it's time, regardless of what is going on in the action. Also, I suspect they will be setup on the streaming services so you can't fast forward past commercials when watching a DVRed copy.

Not to mention the previously noted "the NASCAR race ran late no MotoGP race for you" issue. And god knows who they will get to announce. Somebody who isn't at the event in person for sure. Cue a year's worth of descriptions about how the riders lean over and drag their knees, use tires without tread, etc. No Moto2, Moto3? Somewhere I have to pay again for that? Geeze, Moto3 has been the best race of the day many days this year.

I knew what I had was too good to be true. A channel that shows both WSB and MotoGP. A full, live MotoGP event with all classes, qualifying, etc. Only breaking for commercials between the races, being consistent about when they were shown, repeating the events on the rare occasion where they did start late... The list goes on.

I had the MotoGP streaming service when it first came out, but it was sparse and had lots of technical difficulties, not to mention not having WSB. So, I added the package to SlingTV and never missed a race. Since those early MotoGP streaming days, I subscribed to F1TV for Formula 1 and it has been a great stand-alone streaming service (switchable cameras, telemetry views, etc.).

If the MotoGP streaming service has upped their game (not stalling in the middle of a race or dropping to low quality video frequently) I guess I'll go back to that. I notice they have a Roku channel now, so that is a plus. Do they have any substantial extra content now? Real interviews, inside stories, riders meetings and such? When I had it before, it was essentially the 2 minute fluff "news" items that they have for free on their website.

WSB staying on BeIN I assume? WSB is not good enough to spend the same amount again for their streaming service.

7. Joe Remi

They are showing some races on NBC Broadcast. That's a pretty long rant for someone who didn't even read the link.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Sorry, I did read the link, I just missed that part in all the press-release speak. Never the less, I stand by my "rant". Maybe those few on broadcast will help the sport, but I'm skeptical. I'm concerned it'll be the typical "throw-away" coverage, but we'll see...

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread NBCSN don't break for commercials during the soccer or rugby games they show.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Here's hoping. At least there are a few choices these days. We used to have a small "club" that ordered the Duke VHS tapes, split the cost, and shared them around. So, I guess I'm spoiled these days. I do miss Chris Carter on the old tapes, though!

11. Joe Remi

They don't break for Supercross, either. I think we'll get complete races.

12. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I do not have any special knowledge but keep in mind that Sky and NBC are business units of a common parent corp. I’d wonder if the Sky programming will be distributed on NBCSN

13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Sky only covers MotoGP for the Italian, San Marino and New Zealand markets.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Well shit, can't tell you how many times and how many restaurants/ bars/ boats/airports and Country's, do you get bein sports?, what is bein sports?, never heard of it?, and then i find it on the guide, if they do actually get it, gets interrupted by an overtime soccer game or an early/ late tournament soccer game

15. Joe Remi

There are 10 people in the country who watched MotoGP on beIN and they're all on this forum.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I know this will never happen for a multitude of reasons, but I’d pay good money for a single-source Moto racing streaming service. GP, WSBK, MA, BSB, ASBK, EWC, CEV, Irish road racing all on one provider. That’s worth about $500/yr to me.

badmoon692008 and lopitt85 like this.
  17. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Make me #11...

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

The beeb never disappoints! I seem to recall folks were butt hurt that MotoAmerica coverage was split off from MotoGP and why can't we get all motorcycle racing on one channel like the good old days of Speedvision. So instead of being with WSBK, MotoGP is now with MA and that's bad? And oh yeah, where did all the sponsors go? But oh sh!#, NBCSN is going to run commercials (advertisements companies pay to show fans) and we don't want commercials or ads. I want to watch the race flag to flag like the next guy, but someone's gotta make some money here or stuff ain't going to be available. If we can get motorcycle racing into more households, I think that's a good thing. NBCSN is available to ~83M households vs 25-40M for BEIN, good for MA and good for MotoGP. And spoiler alert MM93 wins.... :P

lopitt85 likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

but motoamerica's coverage sucks. It was the worst of the major motorcycle racing series in the US. Hell, even Dirty Track's coverage was better.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Pay for a VPN and subscribe to BT Sport.

Skter505 likes this.