1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V7 proposal.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by lance89, Jan 13, 2020.

1. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

JT was on a 03-05.

2. lance89

We can forget about the V7mw stuff, it's ok really. It was just a thought. But I honestly do think it should be ok for heavyweight.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm a bit lost on this - if the modern and V8 legal 600's are all the same then what bikes are being left out of Vintage racing that should be in there? I don't remember a huge jump between the 05 and 06 R6's. As for pushing people out, I just started V8 a couple years ago, it hasn't gotten big enough to have anyone stop running it.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How about we work on the current proposed changes and then revisit the 600's next year? You guys have to remember, I truly don't care what is legal for anything, I just want to make sure the classes are as equitable as possible - and FWIW a mildly Superbiked R6 could pretty easily smoke a 750 in 99...

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    I actually look at lap times of riders in class when I compare bikes.
    Hammond raced a F3 in V8 MW a few yrs ago and road his ass off against 99 00 R6 and he wasnt competitive lap time wise at every race.
    And class has not blown up.
    And just who was about making the new V8 class but has yet to enter a race?
    Good ole Dustin. Lol
    Yep I'm calling him out to grid up.
    So carry on and await the new rules in vintage class.

Steven

6. lance89

Sean, yup no prob. Again just a thought. But I do have to say I think 03 bikes made the last major tech jump, with inverted forks, radial calipers, fuel injection, wheels and frames. I've just always thought V8 should have stopped at 2002. But thanks for taking a look. Lance

Dyle likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

V8 was never even close to 2002 was it?

8. lance89

Yeah I'm pretty sure 2014 was the first season, which would've made cut off 02. But I could be wrong.

9. lance89

Just checked results, 2015 was first year.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, thought I did it in like 2017 :crackup:

11. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

How about letting an 02 ZX6r run in v7 class, the 98 to 02 zx6rs were identical except for headlights.

12. PAPAPIRANHA

PAPAPIRANHA Well-Known Member

Sean, you missed my point they are not the same. The 07 and up R6's outclasses 05 and back by alot. not even close. Brakes, forks, HP. No comparison.

lance89 likes this.
  13. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

That bike already has a class that its competitive in.
    V8
    we are trying to find a class where certain bikes can race and still race in other organizations.
    We are not lowering the cutoff dates to allow bikes that already have a class and are competitive in that class.
    Some of the bikes mentioned in V7HW thread are being raced in other clubs now and are not competitive in V8 because of design or performance.
    So anything 600 97 down is legal.
    The petitioned to let 600 Srads with carbs in and that's it.
    Anything 98 was a hugh jump in performance on a 600.
    Hope this clears things up.
    Thanks

Steven

14. lance89

Lol. A 02 zx6 is hardly competitive in V8. I still the biggest jump happened in the 03 model 600s, and the 05-06 636 and 06 R6 are still competitive with 2019s.

PAPAPIRANHA likes this.
  15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

You may want to look at lap times in V8MW class.
    But I'm not here to discuss V8MW bikes.
    I'm here to keep those bikes from V7 MW.
    Maybe you just slow guys riding 98 ZX6R cause Ty Howard lowered the track lap records by over 1.5 seconds from yr before at all Texas Tracks.
    And some he lowered more.
    Maybe V8 should have a yr cut off redo to keep a handle on the bikes so they are competitive .
    But again I dont ride that class.
    Maybe you should Petition Wera to look into that.

Steven

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, and way faster than anything in V7... Had a 98 and a 99 :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think my point was it started with the 05. Or I thought it did. Basically my main issue is the same as always, have a few people who say they have a bike from a specific era and they and tons of others will come race - then no one shows. The current V8 setup is actually working with grids growing so I'm very leery of now limiting it and removing potential bikes.

Dyle likes this.
  18. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Got an 98 SRAD 750 among a number of F3s.

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Years are one thing but bike size is another.... still don’t get why 600’s are legal for HW at smaller tracks like Talladega and others...they have the advantage for sure... same goes for SV650’s etc in HWT.....

20. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Because it's a bump up class for V7 that why.
    Just like V7 HW is a bump up class for V6 HW.
    HW V8 is a bump class for V7 HW.
    Its up to the rider to make it happen on the track.
    I guarantee if I put my 86 VFR back on track I can do same laps at Tally and Barber on it easily.
    You own a TL correct?
    Is it an R model or a S model?
    I have 3 S models as I was going to race V7HW on it and V8 HW.
    But lack of enthusiasm killed that.
    But I bet I can run faster on an S model than I do on my F3 at Tally.
    The truth is that the rider can make any bike competitive that's legal in these classes.
    Look on brightside this yr will be a learning curve for everyone in V7HW so come join in the fun.
    TL are fun bikes to race.
    Raced one in Wera Endurance back in 98 in HW class.
    We did really well on it.
    Actually won a few races.

Steven