1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Lowes on (or should I say "off") it. Again. :D IMG_20200123_180817.jpg

MachineR1 likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Good thing they have a sponsor. And that sponsor is a motorcycle gear store.

3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

TopRak back to the top.

4. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Bombshell - Rea ends test on top.

Sadly, GG finished in 13th overall, his teammate was 10th I think.

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Meh, it's just preseason testing. Which means if he's on top, we can still get all excited. But if he starts to drop down the order, we can just go "meh, it's just preseason testing.":D

6. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

i’ll take 13th on a new bike, new crew, new tires, new track and his first dry session. i’m sure he’ll crack the top ten in a race a few times this year.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  7. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

If cracking the Top 10 is the highlight, I can't think of anyone associated with GG that would be too enthused about that - himself particularly.

If he's not battling for top 5-6 on a regular basis then I'd consider the move there disappointing for sure. I'm cheering for him this year - really enjoyed following his career so far and expecting good things for him in WSBK this season.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I mean top 5 or 6 is a tough ask. I would say op 5 or 6 will be the best yamaha on the field.

TX Joose, turbulence and scottn like this.
  9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

The front of the field is stacked stronger than it's been in many years. It's unrealistic to expect him to be ahead of the Factory Kawasakis, Ducatis, Yamahas, BMWs and Hondas week in and week out, not riding the latest/greatest Yamaha.

Top 10s would be solid for him, especially during his first year there. If he starts cracking into the top 5/6 places, he will have A LOT of eyes on him.

turbulence and scottn like this.
  10. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Everyone is so quick to shoot down a top 10 performance in someone's rookie year at tracks he hasn't raced on versus guys that have raced at these tracks for the majority of their careers. The tracks in Europe are a whole lot different than the US.

The bikes are more advanced and have a lot more development time thrown at them versus what GG has been riding and racing against.

Plus, the WSBK field is like going up against a whole field of Beaubiers and Eliases with one real standout (Rea).

stk0308 and turbulence like this.
  11. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

thank you.

top 10 on a wsbk your first year is nothing to sneeze at. unfortunately for any american that goes over there, they have an unfairly high bar because of what spies did. i’ll be happy if gerloff keeps it out of the gravel most of the year, gets some solid points, gets better week after week and gets a ride next year.

Newyork, stk0308 and Shocker like this.
  12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:stupid: While I would love a Spies level performance, realistically I just want to see a performance that improves his chances of a factory seat for next year. Given the state of Americans on the world stage of road racing, I just want him playing the long game and staying competitive over there.

stk0308, turbulence and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Spies was also racing bikes that were closer in spec to WSBK during his time in the AMA and not to discredit Elias nor Beaubier, but Mladin conditioned Spies very well when they were lining up toe to toe.

I think there is a much larger disparity between the top WSBK factory bikes and top MA factory bikes these days as well.

Spies also came into a factory Yamaha team and Yamaha had just released the crossplane I-4 for that year, which I'm sure they had a vested interest in throwing the kitchen sink at to make it a winning bike in WSBK to prove that their CP4 design was better than an I4 or V2. ;)

Gixxerguy855 and turbulence like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You can find a lot of reasons why he had an advantage, but his bike is not going to be one of them. :D

15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I think people make too much of a case that the bikes are too different.
    Damn Moto2 riders jump from that into a GP bike without too much issue. MA to WSBK must be a much smaller jump.

16. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Spies was fantastic, but he had all the chips fall into his favor as well in terms of having the right people around him.

Also, it’s been ten years.. can we just move on with him already? It’s 2020, kind of ready to talk about Garrett nowadays not what could or should have been with Ben. It’s kind of like hearing the Kenny Roberts TZ750 dirt track story... it’s awesome, he was awesome, but I’m ready to move on after hearing about it for the 100th time.

I hope GG becomes a regular top ten finisher. I don’t think the people around him expect him to be a regular top 5 and winner right off the bat, especially considering the level of the field at the moment, the quality of the teams, and that it has become MotoGP lite. Also, look at the entry list and many of these guys Spies was racing against are still in the field. That’s ten years on those tracks and types of bikes. Garrett was what, 14yo then?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    stk0308 likes this.
  17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

According to the photos, GRT & Ten Kate are still pimping old Yamahas compared to the factory new versions. :cool:

18. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Nothing too insightful but from a few weeks ago. I like Garrett’s approach and hope he does well, and enjoys himself in the process.

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Shit...I remember meeting GG when he first came to JGP under the wing of Brian Stokes.
    This is a tremendous opportunity for him and we wish him all the luck in the world. He's
    a fine young man with a tremendous work ethic so here's to ya Garrett...you make us proud.
    USA......USA. :clap:

Newyork, dieterly and Hoffman900 like this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not with the precedent that Bens Pies set.