1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Jan 14, 2020.

1. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

So I've decided to jump in it and go for it.

I don't have a quick fill tank, will I still be admissible with normal fuel fill ups ?

Raced there last October for the very first time and was running 15/42 gearing... never hit the red line but was suggested to run 41T. Will have that for the 200.

Don't have many people in my corner... any chance to find volunteers there ? I can compensate with Quebec brewed beer lolll

Some what nervous about it but excited to go forward with it. Might be my only chance, so will take advantage now, while I can.
    Training decently but intensifying as of yesterday. Altitude mask, cardio, legs, legs, legs... :P

Any advice ???
    Any tricks ???

Got Geoff May onboard to help me with feedbacks and suggestions. That'll be nice and was very nice of him of to offer.

LET'S CHAT DAYTONA ! :)

2. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Suuuhweeet!! Good Luck!! :cool:

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Don't waste your time. Its been proven that "altitude masks" don't do anything other than make your breathing labored and more difficult and cause you to accumulate more CO2 in your blood while using them. It does not increase your red blood cell capacity and the other benefits that ACTUALLY training at altitude does.....and you also look silly wearing it.

Toss it in the trash bin where it belongs.

4. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Did it for the first time last year and didn't think the riding was difficult at all, but I wasn't running up front. Hydrate well for a couple days before.

KCFirebolt and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Only suggestion I have for Daytona is if you are in between gearing go for the longer one.
    Its better to have extra gear in case you catch a giant draft than be running on redline.

R1M370 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

Or if you end up with a tail wind in the banking.

rafa likes this.
  7. KneeDragger_c69

Ahhh thnx mate :)

Really ??? Do you have a link plz. Not that I don't believe you but it does help a lot in the breathing aspect, opens up my lungs more and I have an easier time breathing when I get fatigued.

Nice advise, will do so !
    Beer doesn't count, correct ??? A

Ya that's one of the factors why I'll be going to 41T. Noticed I gained much more speed (well enough to hit red, without getting the cut off)
    Thnx

Didn't experience that but good to know. Thnx

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's possible that it may force your intercostals to develop more because it makes breathing more laborious, but it doesn't provide the benefits of actually training at altitude.

https://trainright.com/do-altitude-training-masks-work-for-endurance-athletes/

This section specifically addresses this:

Strengthening Breathing Muscles Doesn’t Improve Athletic Performance
    Breathing against resistance in training doesn’t result in an increase in the amount of oxygen you can take in per minute when you remove the resistance. In other words, the strength of your intercostal muscles and diaphragm aren’t limiting factors in your ability to fill your lungs. When people report feeling like they can breathe deeper, it is likely because breathing deeply or forcefully has helped the muscles loosen up and increased the mobility of your ribs. You’ll notice the same thing if you have to take a few weeks off from exercise; after a workout or two you feel like you can take bigger breaths because your chest has loosened up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Have a blast and don’t ride over your head!

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The Daytona 200 is all about preparation and patience. Having both means during each practice session you will not be in hurry to fix this or that, you will be fine tuning the set up. And you will need to understand gas mileage, tire changes, and pit stop strategy.
    Finally when the race starts you'll be calm and be able to click off laps and maintain focus. I've seen it too many times if you're greedy or chasing little shit all the time it will bite you in the ass on race day.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  11. KneeDragger_c69

That is very interesting. Thnx I appreciate it and will correct.

As long as I don't ride "ass over head" I'll be happy !!! :crackup:

Thnx but besides the Friday practice, that'll be the only riding I'll be doing :(
    Pit stop strategy.... God no idea yet. All depending on the people I have around me.:oops:
    Thnx for the input, appreciate it. Will keep it in the note book :)

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a hot pit pass is $65... youd want to at least spring for that for your volunteers. The refuel isnt terrible if you use a funnel. If you have the pace to be under 2:00... youll likely only need to swap the rear about 1/2 way through.
    Then there is the tech after qualifying.

Gino230 and R1M370 like this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bahama Breeze has good food. That's all I've got.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Measure exactly how much fuel you put in an empty tank when you go out for practice. Keep track of how many laps you did in practice and qualifying and then completely drain the tank and measure so you know how much the bike is consuming at race pace. You can not refuel or leave hot pit during qualifying so you need to wait until the session is over and after you weigh in. I'm pretty sure you should be able to get at least 20 laps on a tank on a R6. Maybe a couple more. At least invest in a rear quick change. You will definitely need a rear tire change during the race. Depending what your pace is you may not need a front. Without a dry break that is going to really slow you down when fueling during real pit stops happen. If you come in no matter what put gas in the tank during the race. At the very least you will need a guy to do fuel, a guy with the fire bottle and 2 guys to swap a rear (one with the wheel and the other with the stand and impact). Practice the rear pit stop as many times as you can preferably before you even go to the event. The front quick change is tricky but if it's setup right it can be mastered and efficient.

After the parade lap pull off to the side before your grid position. Make sure you have at least 3 or 4 guys down there with a cart / fuel / warmers / stands / generator. Put the bike on the rear stand and top the tank off. Make sure you have someone with a fire bottle with the pin pulled pointing at the bike anytime you are putting fuel in the bike. Then go to your starting grid spot and put the bike on the stands and warmers and wait for the the start of the actual warm up lap. Don't get the parade lap and warm up lap confused. 2 different laps. Full tank for the warm up lap and start is recommended.

In an ideal situation your crew should be the following. 7 people max are allowed over pit wall including the rider

Pit Board / Fire Bottle - 1 guy - Uniquely colored duct tape where your front wheel needs to stop helps. After fueling this guy can have a water bottle for you and pump the front and rear master cylinders after wheels get swapped.
    Front Wheel- 1 guy with the front stand and impact and 1 guy with the front wheel - 2 people
    Rear Wheel - 1 guy with the rear stand and impact and 1 guy with the rear wheel - If the chain gets snagged the guy with the impact can help the guy with the wheel. Watch your fingers - 2 people
    Fuel - 1 guy - Bike has to be on stands and nobody can touch the bike while fueling. Person with fire bottle must have the pin pulled and pointed at the tank.
    Electric Leaf blower - Not absolutely needed but a leaf blower works awesome pointed right into the radiator to cool the motor down. The person with the pit board / fire bottle can be handed the leaf blower once those 2 tasks are completed.

Read the rules over and over again so you're clear. Make sure your crew reads the rules and are clear. Make sure you have several team meetings to make sure everyone knows their role and there isn't confusion. Shit gets hectic down there in the heat of the moment and people tend to get confused under pressure.

Some teams fuel immediately when the rider pulls in and the bike is up on stands... Then they do the wheel swap. Some do the wheel swap first then fuel. Depends on what you guys find to be more efficient.

Bring spares of everything INCLUDING A FUEL PUMP.

This is just all off the top of my head. Good luck and have fun. Hydrate the fuck out of yourself for a full week before you race.

evakat, turbulence and 83BSA like this.
  15. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Young grasshopper knows and speaks the truth. Oh and have the right air filter!

KneeDragger_c69 and grasshopper like this.
  16. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Somebody had a dry break quick fill setup with a stand for sale on Trackday Junkies on FB for $400. Saw it the other day.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Dustin Apgar has one for sale I believe.

Other than that im filing out the protest form now with screen shots to follow.

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Pre filled out protest forms? Nice

Names and rider numbers filled in already or blank?

19. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Watch/study the flags around the track , tells you tons about gearing!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Blank. Whoever finishes in the top 5 who has displeased me in the last 3 years gets the tear down:D